• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Midway has a box of 50 of these for $1.04 PER ROUND! Anyone know where I can get them cheaper? Seems outrageous to pay that much for blanks.

I was given a .32 blank pistol so's I can train my dog. She's been expensive enough so far, but I can't justify $1+ per "pop" each time I throw her a bumper.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Since blank guns are no longer used to start sports events about the only use for them now is dog training and that isn't enough to get ammo makers to do large production runs of them and that in turn drives down to price , I'd say they are borderline obsolete and then they'll just get dropped , So stock up

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    reload them

I just watched a video how to do this...all I'd need is brass, primers, powder, a primer loader, and a plug, correct? If so, I could do 100 for about $100 initial cost.

EDIT: And I'd need a measuring device for the powder

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I just watched a video how to do this...all I'd need is brass, primers, powder, a primer loader, and a plug, correct? If so, I could do 100 for about $100 initial cost.

EDIT: And I'd need a measuring device for the powder

I've heard of people priming 38 special cases and shooting wax bullets out of them in their basements with no powder. Maybe just the primer would be loud enough? If you need powder one of those little Lee powder dippers would be perfect.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    For outside 22 Bird shot?????

Nobody

For 32 blanks.

I think I'm going to try the primer-only thing to see if that is enough. It should be fairly loud (I've set off rifle primers in the past, and have been surprised). If that works, it will be easy enough. And for $100, I'll be able to have 1,000 pops.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    For 32 blanks.

I think I'm going to try the primer-only thing to see if that is enough. It should be fairly loud (I've set off rifle primers in the past, and have been surprised). If that works, it will be easy enough. And for $100, I'll be able to have 1,000 pops.

No. Get a 22 and shoot Bird shot. No danger after a short range and still kind of loud.

Nobody

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I’ve trained all my dogs, too not be gun shy. I’ve always started out with a .22 rifle shooting CB caps 1st.

Have someone hold your dog on a leash, go about 100 yards away and fire a few rounds. If the dog is not scared, move 20 yards closer and Repeat. Before long, you’ll be shooting, while standing beside your dog. Once you do that, then repeat all this again using .22LR ammo. Keep the shooting sections short

The next day or 2 start with the .22lr ammo from 100 yards, moving closer. If you are able to stand by the dog and shoot without it being scared, then I like to move to louder guns.

I kinda go like this as far a noises go.
    22 CB caps
    22lr ammo
    410 shotgun.
    22 handgun
    20 or 12 gauge
    Centerfire rifle

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    The empty brass with a primer makes for an awesome blank! It is loud enough to get the job done, and cheap and easy enough to reload.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom