• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Maryland became may issue in 1972. That is the year the permitting became a law. Before that i believe it was constitutional carry. Correct me if i am incorrect

Nobody

Why was DC reversed to shall issue so fast and MD hasn't?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Why was DC reversed to shall issue so fast and MD hasn't?

Because a court that has jurisdiction over DC found may-issue to be unconstitutional, but that court doesn't have jurisdiction over Maryland. Maryland's chief gun-grabber begged DC not to appeal the decision to the Supreme Court in order to prevent the DC ruling from impacting the whole nation. Which is why similar challenges have to mounted in a state that borders a city where it's already been dealt with. That's how federal circuits work.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The deep historical history of carry in Maryland was discussed in great detail here, but that was a cpl years back . I'm too Luddite to link to it , but I'll give a very simplified synopsis .

Prior to 1972 , open carry was default legal .
    Prior to 1972 , there was no such thing as a Carry Permit , and concealed carry was default illegal . There were certain exceptions , and there was greater lattitude for asserting an exception .
    Certain Professional Licensing ( example Private Investagator ) also included the ability to concealed carry.

In those days , for bussiness purposes, etc , it was semi- common for an amenable Sheriff to give unpaidbDeputy Sheriff commisions valid for 11months, 29days at a time .

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Holes in the paper.....

The two times I've done it they scored everything that hit inside the lines.

My instructor allowed the two center rings. Just getting on the black wasn’t good enough. Happy to boast like a jackass that I was the only 100% score in the class ... because I used a full-size pistol. Some showed up with micro pistols they’d hardly practiced with, and one guy was allowed a Mulligan he probably shouldn’t have had. Not nearly enough range tine for some folks.

May 8, 2018
    An instructor once wisely told me to "Qualify" with any weapon that you intend to carry. You do not have to send anything into the MSP but this way if there is ever a case where you need to show that you have "range time" with said weapon. I asked my range to do this and they happily filled out the qualification form and signed it for my records, no cost associated. This way i can hopefully never have to prove that i am not someone that qualified with one weapon but used a second. With the craziness of the way cases are being tried I am happy to take this extra step, plus if i can not pass that simple test i should not be carrying that weapon.

Last edited:

srephwed

Jul 25, 2010
    harford county
    Finished my live fire today. Also got 1oo%. Our instructor did quite a lot more than required by law but I don't think anyone can get too much training. 350 rounds total today. Had a husband and wife in the group. I don't know if she had ever fired a semi auto pistol but at the end of the day she was pretty darn good. Now the hard part starts.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Referred a friend to this thread for info on applying after Oct. 1 electronically, sorry friend/guests I was wrong. No links found at MSI either. just fyi.

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    Official Threshold and Personal Objective

How is the "70% on a B27 target" measured by instructors?

Official policy is any hit on the black counts as a 100% hit. Scoring rings are NOT used. That is the threshold for passing.

But we push our students to achieve a much higher personal objective (yet informal) standard that we believe is far more practical. We push for hits with "defensive accuracy" on a target the size of a paper-plate or 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. So far every one of our students has been able to get at least 70% hits to this standard.

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    Curious am I. Put in my W&C paperwork on 9/23/2019. Check cashed on 9/27/2019. Checked the online portal. No mention beyond a handgun transfer in 2018. I thought they might enter my paperwork into the new online system Anybody know the phone number to ask for status? I have no illusions about anything under 90 days roughly. Just want to ask if they plan to put it(my app status) online. Some good folks here used to mention a contact...

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    Just wanted to post i put in for my W&C today online, i will send the money order/check tomorrow. Just documenting to see how long this process will take :) i can't believe they did this onlien system without an online pay

Submitted paperwork online 24 Oct 2019

UPDATE: Made payment in person today at the licensing office. 25 Oct 2019.

UPDATE2: Status was updated to "Application Accepted" on 28 Oct 2019

Last edited:

Firstwarrior

Aug 30, 2019
    Day 72... still waiting.
    Did my MSP interview about 3 weeks ago and he said “roughly a month or less” hoping it comes in any day now.

It’s sad that it feels so weird that soon I will legally being able to carry. Most states it’s just a normalcy. I almost feel nervous about carrying. Not because it’s a gun, just because the laws are so tight and people are such snowflakes here. I am more concerned about overthinking where and when I can carry, vs actually having to use the damn thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    Day 72... still waiting.
    Did my MSP interview about 3 weeks ago and he said “roughly a month or less” hoping it comes in any day now.

It’s sad that it feels so weird that soon I will legally being able to carry. Most states it’s just a normalcy. I almost feel nervous about carrying. Not because it’s a gun, just because the laws are so tight and people are such snowflakes here. I am more concerned about overthinking where and when I can carry, vs actually having to use the damn thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so he tells you at the interview that you'll get it or not?

Initial... 86 days... renewal... 32 days.

is it a yearly renewal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom