• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    What I have: Dad's stainless White Oak barrel for his AR

What I want: to get it threaded to accept a muzzle device so he can install his suppressor on it. If I remember correctly its a Silencerco ASR and I know its a standard 1/2-28 muzzle thread.

What I need: competent gunsmith who can thread it concentrically so he doesn't shoot his can off the end of his rifle.

First thought is Duffy's or Scott's but neither is real close, can anyone else make alternative recommendations based on personal experience?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have had Duffy's thread a pistol barrel, and they did great work. But it will take a while, as they have more work than they can do.

I have also sent some barrels out. One to Short Action Custom in Ohio. The other to Long Rifles Inc in Sturgis, SD.

Both did great work, and about 1 week, door to do using Fed Ex ground.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Hafers, just west of HAGERSTOWN, can also do the work. I know that’s a good drive from Darlington but throw it out there given turn around time and cost considerations.

Was t sure if the barrel was mounted in an upper yet and whether you were comfortable sending via FedEx.

My life takes me around the state frequently so I can create a ‘reason’ to stop at Hafers and it isn’t out of my way.

Tim does great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Ed "Doc" Harren. He does any metalwork on rifles that I am unable or unwilling to do myself. 301-831-8068. He is a benchrest shooter/gunsmith out of Ijamsville. The barrels he has chambered/threaded/etc. for me have been perfect (and yes, I do run cans on them).

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Ed "Doc" Harren. He does any metalwork on rifles that I am unable or unwilling to do myself. 301-831-8068. He is a benchrest shooter/gunsmith out of Ijamsville. The barrels he has chambered/threaded/etc. for me have been perfect (and yes, I do run cans on them).

Great add! I haven’t yet had work done by Ed but know several who have. Impeccable work (and closer than Hafers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Morgan is the guy you want to talk to:

https://www.facebook.com/barrelthreading/

https://class3machining.com/

Great work and quick turnaround.

Morgan’s work is amazing.

I needed an HP22 threaded which is no easy task because it’s zinc pot metal on the outside with a paper-thin liner with no meat for threading but the service also needs to be cheap because it’s a quasi-disposable pistol.

I think Morgan’s standard rates were normally around $50 but in this case he needed to fabricate a custom adapter for the barrel liner that would give it some meat for threading. I was about $100 all in with shipping to have a custom, handmade thread adapter made for it. He even cut the zamak back, kept the front sight, and refinished it so it looked factory. Admittedly a waste of his talent on that pistol but now I’ve got a Hollywood-quiet pistol that loves subsonic ammo.

Didn’t even have to leave the house. Just shipped it out and got it back really quick, I think maybe a week or so.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I stay away from ADCO.

I had them do some work. What they did was fine, but did not do what I needed. When I asked where to we go from here, to get what I needed done, I got a nasty reply that they did what they said they would do (which I had acknowledged in my email) and they had had no interest in doing anything more (even though in the original email, I clearly stated I expectd to pay for the additional work).

Too many companies out there that are easier to get along with.

Supervel

Jul 28, 2016
    Harford County
    I just ran across your thread. I can properly Thread and Crown your Dad's Barrel.
    I have done hundreds , always centered on the actual bore's exact center +- .0005" .
    David Stancill Badgersmith Gunworks Inc. Bel Air,Md. 410-937-0443. 10-6 Weekdays.
    Please give me a call.

Bert762

Jun 29, 2014
    Umm why not send it back to John at White Oak, he does great work and since his name is on the barrel...

earlybirdnj

Aug 1, 2013
    Gary At Benchtop Gunsmithing.
    He’s in port deposit.
    He’s done several things for me and work was fantastic.
    Not the fastest around as he’s only one guy.
    If you’re not in a big hurry he’s the man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom