• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vwluv10338

Jan 13, 2009
    Thoughts on value of a Remington M91 mosin that has been sporterized. Hard to tell in the pics I was given but I hope the barrel hasn't been cut down. If it has I might not even be interested but I would like to add a Remington to my Mosin collection.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      57.3 KB · Views: 391

vwluv10338

Jan 13, 2009
    Before I realized the barrel may have been cut down we had pretty much agreed on a pice of $75. If it's cut down I'm not sure it's worth much and even finding a stock to fix it is going to be tough.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Before I realized the barrel may have been cut down we had pretty much agreed on a pice of $75. If it's cut down I'm not sure it's worth much and even finding a stock to fix it is going to be tough.

$75 ain't bad even if the barrel is cut IMHO. See what the total bbl length is just to make sure it wasn't cut by the Soviets at some point to a carbine length (M91/38)

My thought is that it's been cut though. The plain blade front sight and lack of Finnish markings make me skeptical that it's not cut down.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Hard to tell from the pics if the barrel was cut, but mine was cut to around 20-21 inches, so I made the best of it. I kinda made a Mosin M91 carbine for myself. I found a Remington M39 trigger, and magazine, and it's actually one of my best shooting Mosins with one of the best triggers. I wish I had a front blade sight, as I don't like the looks of the front sight, but it does work well. For $75, I would grab it. I mean, $75, it's a rifle that shoots steel core 7.62x54r, and various commercial ammo. Since the Remingtons were also imported early, or some not sent to Russia, many were made into cheap surplus hunting rifles, and it's part of their history. If you don't buy it, give the the details, and I'll happily pick it up for $75. Here's the link to my bubba'd Remington M91;
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=91182

attachment.php

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Doesn't have a .30-06 stamped on the side of the receiver does it? Or a black bolt head?

Come to think of it though I think my Bannermann has the manufacturer's roll mark partially cut off as part of the conversion. I think this is just an old Bubba.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Even DCM and NRA sold them chopped up at $2 each after WWI. So maybe it was a one of those or a Bannerman piece sold with the chopped stock. Has a certain 1950s look to the butt checkering though.
    If that was done in the '60s or before, that's just how it was with surplus that nobody collected. If it was done since the '70s or '80s when people started to know better, then tar-n-feather 'em.

Last edited:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    $100 max for a shooter and that's if you have interest. Reality is its nearly worthless. Shame surplus ammo is drying up.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Definitely not a Bannerman conversion (it's not rechambered in 30.06). Value is whatever someone will pay for it as it's worthless to a mil-surp collector.

It still may be a fun shooter :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom