• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    Thanks everyone. I didn't bring my climber and just sat on a log at the top of a hill. I couldn't imagine dragging a deer and carrying my climber at the same time. A cart is definitely on my shopping list. I also didn't realize how many fallen trees I stepped over until I was on the way back.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks everyone. I didn't bring my climber and just sat on a log at the top of a hill. I couldn't imagine dragging a deer and carrying my climber at the same time. A cart is definitely on my shopping list. I also didn't realize how many fallen trees I stepped over until I was on the way back.

So now you know what the term "now the work begins" means. :D

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Yep, they are no fun dragging them out of the woods. But the reward is that sweet succulent steak you'll soon be serving up for dinner makes it all worth it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It got warm. Definitely a dearth of dead critter pics...

Better luck today!

Maybe in the evening. Nothing this morning.

Got up in my stand and right at opening light another hunter walked up about 8yds from me before he finally saw me and walked off.

Then I realized I didn’t have my vest on...it was in the trunk of my car!!! At least my camo works well.

I figured better to waste the morning sit and go and get it. 5 feet off the ground both sections of my climber let loose because I was rushing. Dropped about 2ft before the bottom bit in (right as my harness grabbed me). Harness works BTW. Fortunately my face caught me against the tree :sad20:

Went back to my car, dropped my climber off, pulled on my vest and still hunted till 10:30 when I headed home for my kids much delayed birthday party (found several recently used bedding spots, not deer to be found). I’ll be out in Potapsco after the party. No one parked over there, so I should have that section of the park to myself.

I’ll likely be out again in Patuxent all day tomorrow no matter what. See if I can bag that 6-pt (even if he is probably long gone).

Glad to see others have had luck and congrats Sino!

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md

If you hunt alone ,a cart can be a PIA on hills.I have a Jet Sled and cant be happier.I use the sled for dragging the deer out,keeping blood contained while transporting,skin and quarter deer and put hide and scraps in sled and transport them back to the woods.Easy Peasy

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    are you allowed to quarter? I thought DNR regs said the deer has to be removed from the Field whole (other than gutted).

I saw a few deer in Potapsco this evening. One walked out on me on the pipe line at 50, I walked up to 40 and it hopped in to the woods. Kept walking and it and two others were off in the woods 25yds to my side. They bolted after about 6 it 7 seconds. Sadly .the woods were NOT legal (park, but not part of the managed hunting area). Easily had it dead to rights. Oh well.

I also saw one from my stand across the creek from me that ambled out to the pipeline. Closest it gotwas 65yds from me (I am confident to 40yds with my crossbow, I might be willing to do out to 50 for an ideal shot)

Of course as soon as I got in my car to drive away I ran across about 4 or 5 deer on he road. *roll eyes*

Actually this afternoon was pretty satisfying even though I didn’t get anything.

Tomorrow I think I’ll do Patuxent for a morning sit, then head over to Potapsco around 3.

I figure the 6-pt I saw was around 3pm. Sit in the one spot till about 11, then move my stand near where I saw the 6-pt. Method to my madness is the first place I plan to sit is a choke point in the park and I figure all of the hunters will push deer that direction. That fails by late morning, backup is hoping the 6-pt come back around or by when I saw it. Potapsco is to setup nearer where I saw the deer this evening on the other side of the creek.

Sorry for the verbal diarrhea. I have this thing where I over share :-D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also occurred to me I’ve got that Bushnell trs-25 red dot. All I need is a rail. I think I am still liking swapping on my 1-4x32 scope from my 10/22 (it is a shotgun scope) in the off season, but that also means buying a new scope for my 10/22. $11 buys me the rail and I just have to find time between now and the late season to go zero it.

I’d like to think that’ll help.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Finally got my first deer yesterday around 1600. He came running by my left side about 60-70 yards away. I thought he was going to keep running further away then he turned and walked in front of me. I shot and thought I missed. I couldn't find any blood but walked out to the main trail and found him. This was my first time dragging a deer and I'm reconsidering going so far back in the woods. I think I need a cart or something.
    Nice Congrats! Deer carts are ok on flat ground. Hills and tree falls make it a PIA...

@Lazarus...today was an off/bad day for me as well. Had some elk around 60yds and I clean missed a cow!:sad20: Wife missed a whitetail doe this evening with her XBow also.. bad day all around.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nice Congrats! Deer carts are ok on flat ground. Hills and tree falls make it a PIA...

@Lazarus...today was an off/bad day for me as well. Had some elk around 60yds and I clean missed a cow!:sad20: Wife missed a whitetail doe this evening with her XBow also.. bad day all around.

Ugh, sorry to hear that

Good luck to all those afield today.

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    Kent County buck. He was chasing a spike and got a little too close.

Attachments

• IMG_20171020_180811943-960x540.jpg
      IMG_20171020_180811943-960x540.jpg
      110 KB · Views: 250

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My wife spoiled my chances. Had to head home to remove our kitchen sink and the plywood it was in because we are finally getting counter tops installed this afternoon in our new kitchen (she could do it herself, but “her hip hurts and she isn’t sure she can carry it”). She’s been giving me crap at least thrice daily for a week about hunting the early ML this year. I know happy wife, happy life, but really pissing me off. She knows how important it is, but keeps scheduling crap over the last 3 days and then complaining I am not helping with it more. Lost 4hrs yesterday and now 3 today (and probable downed deer too)

If I had more time I would have been sitting instead of creeping on and I probably would have eventually noticed the fork bedded down 40yds to my right. Probably would have at least tried to shoot it as it hopped off alongside of me instead of straight away, but my wife’s voice cursing me out that I was busy gutting a deer (or worse tracking a wounded one) instead of coming home rang through my head.

Same story when I jumped a pair of does 200yds away that ran up the side of a small valley. 100yd shot, but it was thick and sunlit so really hard to see. Pretty sure I could have hit one as they stopped and stood around for a minute. Not sure I could have killed it promptly.

My wife’s echoed in my head again, so I just kept walking.

Enough spleen venting.

Hoping my evening luck in Potapsco is better. Off I go.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Watched a doe getting chased by a 6 or 8 pointer. Too much brush to do anything about it unfortunately. I'll be out the next few days to see how things are ramping up.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    I figured better to waste the morning sit and go and get it. 5 feet off the ground both sections of my climber let loose because I was rushing. Dropped about 2ft before the bottom bit in (right as my harness grabbed me). Harness works BTW. Fortunately my face caught me against the tree :sad20:

PLEASE take your time when climbing up/down a tree with a climbing stand - no deer is worth dying for. A large segment of deer hunting accidents are related to hunters falling out of a stand or getting injured while climbing up or down.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Went with my 10 year old Daughter for WV youth hunt today. Her 1st deer ever, she bagged a nice doe. She made a perfect heart/lung shot at 100 yards with a .300Blk loaded with 110gr Lehigh Controlled Chaos. Ran about 75 yards and piled up. Awesome Day, she was soo excited.

1021171615.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    PLEASE take your time when climbing up/down a tree with a climbing stand - no deer is worth dying for. A large segment of deer hunting accidents are related to hunters falling out of a stand or getting injured while climbing up or down.

I thought I was. Lesson learned. Need to force the bark biters in harder before trying to move the next section.

Struck out the rest of today. Horse folk rode through on a trail about 100yds away yelling at each other (I could make out all of the words of their conversation when they were 200yds away). Scared a doe bedded 80yds from my stand near the trail and it took off. About an hour later someone went jogging down the pipeline with their dog which sounded like it was chasing deer as he yelled at it several times to come back and “leave them alone”.

Saw 5 on the pipeline waking back to my car after dark.

Nothing shootable and of course after the brass band rolled through, nothing was left in the woods. I know it is dual purpose use, but ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom