Question about my mother's handgun in Texas.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    it’s amazing what someone has to do in Maryland to get a gift from a family member.
    Have you ever lived in another state? It’s amazing how she could have simply gave it to you back then. Too late for that.

Sorry about your mother.

Personally I’d have someone just hold it until i had a chance to move out of Maryland.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    You can play all the games you want and call it whatever you want, but it's still a transfer if the OP takes possession of it. The mother will not be eligible to register the firearm due to her medical situation. The firearm will be the property of the mother until it is legally transferred to the OP. Bringing the firearm with him from Texas would be illegal. having an unregistered handgun in Maryland is also illegal.

I don't understand why the grief on doing it right so that everything is on the up and up. The OP will be in Texas. He takes the firearm to an FFL, the FFL ships the firearm to one the OP designates as the receiving FFL in Maryland. Then the OP completes the paperwork for a legal transfer in MD.

Everything's done and the OP isn't playing hide the sausage with Bubba.

It is not on the up and up if he takes her property without her consent unless he is her guardian.

I would just have someone in Texas hold it to avoid all grief. Again, not as a transfer, but temporary loan or some such words.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    Just to add to that, it will need to be shipped Overnight.

Long guns can go Ground, but handguns need to go Overnight with UPS or FedEx.

If it is shipped from TX FFL to MD FFL, it can do USPS. It might be cheaper to have TX FFL ship it USPS versus other person to MD FFL via Overnight UPS or FedEx.

This is not correct. Handguns must be shipped 2nd Day Air. Overnight shipping is not required.

it’s amazing what someone has to do in Maryland to get a gift from a family member.
    Have you ever lived in another state? It’s amazing how she could have simply gave it to you back then. Too late for that.

Also not correct. This mostly has nothing to do with Maryland. The ATF regulates interstate transfer. Everything we're talking about in this thread is all under Federal regulations. The only unique-to-MD aspect is the 7 day wait period and HQL.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    It is not on the up and up if he takes her property without her consent unless he is her guardian.

I would just have someone in Texas hold it to avoid all grief. Again, not as a transfer, but temporary loan or some such words.

That's what I was thinking. I understand the circumstances but it almost seems like theft.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    This is not correct. Handguns must be shipped 2nd Day Air. Overnight shipping is not required.

Also not correct. This mostly has nothing to do with Maryland. The ATF regulates interstate transfer. Everything we're talking about in this thread is all under Federal regulations. The only unique-to-MD aspect is the 7 day wait period and HQL.

My point was if he and his mother lived in another state years ago she simply could have handed him the gun and said hey son, Here’s a gun. And that would have been that.

I’m not sure what year Maryland required people to register guns but if he had moved back before that time. He wouldn’t have had any issues.

Any handgun transaction over state lines is a no go. I agree 100%

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

UPS:

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express Critical™ Service is not available for firearms).

FedEx

FedEx Express:

FedEx will only ship firearms via their Priority Overnight service.

FedEx Ground:

FedEx Ground will transport and deliver firearms (excluding handguns) as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968 between areas served in the U.S.

When I had to ship my Springfield XDs back for the recall, SPringfiled had to negotiate a special deal with FedEx to ship 2nd day, and you had to print out a form telling the FedEx people to accept it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I’m not sure what year Maryland required people to register guns but if he had moved back before that time. He wouldn’t have had any issues.

Handgun transfers between individuals did not require any paperwork prior to 10/1/96.

The only REQUIRED firearm registration is if you move into the state after 9/30/13.

The Form 77 is not technically a registration of the firearm, but there is wording, that by submitting the form, you "voluntarily" register the firearm.

Hmm, "voluntary" but if you don't do the form, you cannot get the firearm.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Too bad your mother didn't give it to you before 1993 and you happened to notice it in your safe.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I had to send a handgun back to Ruger for warranty work. They paid for shipping and scheduled UPS to pick it up, I just asked the driver what he was picking up and didn't bother gawking at the label he slapped on it, and when it came back it had a 2nd Day Air Sticker on the cardboard.

Evidently they let some customers/vendors/manufacturers use 2nd Day Air, based on some criteria. I'm sure us all swinging dicks wont be able to get that.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Too bad your mother didn't give it to you before 1993 and you happened to notice it in your safe.

Only if they were residents of the same state at the time.

Of course, when it was manufactured is a possible issue. :)

Dal1as

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Thanks everyone. May just have my friend back there turn it into the police.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom