• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mickeyk9

Member Lives Matter
    Aug 18, 2011
    quantum spins
    My company doesn't recognize it at all. I'm thinking more for my job search. I've already had a few companies I'm applying with ask me if I have my PMP, so I'm trying to decide if it's worth the money/time.

In your case, I'd say yes. If a job change to a new employer stresses obtaining your PMP then it's a no brainer given the opportunity fits your personal career goals.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts in this area.

What other certs are "up and coming"?

I can get very long winded, so forgive the long(er) reply in advance.

My personal opinion in this area stems from my engineering background and 12 years working on or with APG programs/customers. I can't stress enough that it may or may not apply to the multitude of programs and shifting strategies at other Federal areas in MD.

From a DoD consulting standpoint the first one that stands out in my mind that I would happily trade my PMP for is the DAWIA level 3 in lifecycle logistics. I think it's very attractive right now. This is not something that is accomplished with a 4 hour prep course and test though. The buzzword now is transformation. How can companies distinguish themselves in an environment of reduced budgets and a focus on efficiencies across the board. The strategy that I see being implemented by contractors as a response is to get better in the acquistion and sustainment processes. Both of which are a strong focus of this cert. Obviously there are other ways to become "better" in these areas, but I look at things from a square peg in a square hole perspective. If the government wants their people DAWIA certified, it makes sense as a contractor to do the same. You understand your customer, the overall mission, and the requirements that much "better".

I see a growing demand for CDIA certifications - boredom meets job security. I recently had the pleasure of sifting through a "library" at APG looking for an obscure drawing of a pre WWII overpack for chemical munitions. 65 hours spent to find the document so I could make a 15 minute design change to a drawing. Sucks losing an intern. The collective "knowledgebase" of the armed services as a whole, past and present, are going to be scanned, indexed, examined, classified, etc. It's relatively young in terms of budget allocation maturity but document imaging and storage efforts are going to be fixed, long term efforts. At APG alone it's estimated to be an 8 year endeavor. A few places offer CDIA certs online. I did recently see an RFP come out for a records scanning opportunity in Natick, Mass., specifically mentioned CDIA for the PM position.

CEM/EMAP/DM - emergency management/disaster management certificates. Great at both a state and federal level. Japan disaster served as a reinforcement for the national preparedness movement that followed Katrina. Anyone certified to train first responders on emergency and disaster response is also highly valued.

The above list is very random. I'm pulling from specific examples in my mind of where we had 20 PMP's available who could have used coverage but the effort needed specific expertise that the PMP (myself included) couldn't bring to the table.

CronusTRD

Creeper
    Mar 1, 2007
    DAWIA certification only applies to Civilian or Military employees, not contractors. Contractors can take the coursework, but it is up to the individual agency if they are going to certify contractors, however most do not, as contractors are supposed to be experts in their field, thus do no require additional training or certification at the government's expense. I would still suggest completing the coursework however.

CDFM is another big one if you are involved in the finances and inner workings of DoD

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I got my Master's degree in Occupational Safety and Industrial Hygiene in 1998 and it really opened doors for me at the time. Also held certification as a Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM). These degrees really complimented my Bachelor's degree in Environmental Health. Back then, opportunities in the Occupational Safety and Health field were pretty good and companies were hiring. Now......not so much.

I think that you are wise to consider what short term benefit you are going to get out of this. I'm sure it's not cheap and there might not be a garunteed job waiting for you when you get the sheepskin. If you are confident that you are getting a marketable Master's degree in this economic climate then go for it. If not, I would not waste the time and money.

Louie

Sep 10, 2009
    Edgehood
    I would stay away from the MBA unless you are going to get it from an ivy league school (definitely not Univ. of Phoenix). It seems that advanced degree'd applicants are going to flood the market this spring and for the next 3-5 years since all of the undergrad recipients haven't had a way to pay back their student loans, so differed their loans into masters programs.

All that said, HHS wasn't affected in the federal job freeze. If you have anything that can be related (very loosely) to health care that is a good federal "in".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom