• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Jerry, if it crossed your mind it must be important to you. Go for it !

What's important now that the kids are older is doing something interesting with a company that treats its employees fair and offers opportunity to advance from within. It'd be hard to start for less than 50k.
    Unfortunately, these companies are more far and fewer between than ever before. Under Armour from what I've heard is still one of these types...

The MBA is something that is out there and would complete in a heartbeat if I knew there would be a somewhat more short term benefit as opposed to longer term.

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    My wife finished her MBA two years ago at 34. It didn't immediately advance her in her career, but since she completed it, she has definitely found companies even more interested in her as a candidate for employment. Her company reimbursed her for the investment but they required her to stay for at least 12 months after completion.

Since then, she left the company she was with and upon being hired by a new firm, she saw approximately a 10% increase in salary, while performing the same job. She takes the PMP certification exam in 6 days. She's stressed, but we're both really excited, and her company is reimbursing her for that as well.

I say go for it. The personal satisfaction you'll have having completed it will be worth it, even if it doesn't bring financial rewards.

She did hers all online through University of Baltimore.

The PMP is a great cert and pays off huge! Wish her luck and make sure she has some time spent just memorizing the processes/inputs/outputs. It will be very helpful

mickeyk9

Member Lives Matter
    Aug 18, 2011
    quantum spins
    I've been through 2 master's programs as a working adult (2 jobs during the process) and about to start on a terminal degree as a personal goal in life and one of the things on my "bucket" list (being the first in my family to earn a phd). I'm fortunate enough to have an employer who covers 100% of all my school costs, many DoD contractors will pay for an advanced degree given an agreement to stay with the company for XX amount of time.

I did notice an immediate salary benefit to the tune of a 15% increase the month after completing my first degree (MBA). When I got my MSLM 3 years later, I received no raise or bonus but I was able to get through that program much faster since several of the MBA courses applied to the MSLM program. I've also gotten the PMP cert and it's nice to have as a resume booster but there are many PMP's out there now and the certification just doesn't hold the same weight it once did. My company recently stopped paying to put people through the PMP course and testing process because it really provided little value that couldn't be achieved through internal training programs that combined program management with corporate practices in business development and contracts management.

I've worked as a DoD contractor for 12 years in the engineering world and if working for federal contractor is the path you choose, try the DAU courses and certifications out there in business and acquisition. They offer both practical benefits as well as compensation benefits. By no means rule out finishing an MBA, but do it for personal benefit with compensation increases as an added plus :)

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    I got my MA 20yrs ago on Strategic Studies. Govt paid for it so it was no sweat of my wallet. It did help in the admission to Law School.

Look at it this way: Anything above a HS degree will always help.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I've been through 2 master's programs as a working adult (2 jobs during the process) and about to start on a terminal degree as a personal goal in life and one of the things on my "bucket" list (being the first in my family to earn a phd). I'm fortunate enough to have an employer who covers 100% of all my school costs, many DoD contractors will pay for an advanced degree given an agreement to stay with the company for XX amount of time.

I did notice an immediate salary benefit to the tune of a 15% increase the month after completing my first degree (MBA). When I got my MSLM 3 years later, I received no raise or bonus but I was able to get through that program much faster since several of the MBA courses applied to the MSLM program. I've also gotten the PMP cert and it's nice to have as a resume booster but there are many PMP's out there now and the certification just doesn't hold the same weight it once did. My company recently stopped paying to put people through the PMP course and testing process because it really provided little value that couldn't be achieved through internal training programs that combined program management with corporate practices in business development and contracts management.

I've worked as a DoD contractor for 12 years in the engineering world and if working for federal contractor is the path you choose, try the DAU courses and certifications out there in business and acquisition. They offer both practical benefits as well as compensation benefits. By no means rule out finishing an MBA, but do it for personal benefit with compensation increases as an added plus :)

I've been considering a PMP (already applied and was accepted), but am concerned that after spending yet again more money on classes and the test, it will end up being a waste of time and money.

Is the PMP really that valuable/required? It just seems like anything I could achieve after a 4 day class shouldn't be held as that valuable.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    PMP is pretty useful if you're going to do federal contracting. If you can really get it after a 4-day class, more power to you, but, IIRC, it also requires a huge number of hours doing project management.

MBAs are a bit meh later on in life, mostly because it's really unlikely you're going to be doing it at an Ivy or other top-tier school, which is where you really see huge value. I absolutely think they add value to you as an employee and make it easier to shift into a management role. Just don't expect it to rocket you to upper management...

IMHO, the golden ticket certs these days are more the security-oriented ones like CISSP, CEH, etc. Lotta hiring for that coming down the pipe.

mickeyk9

Member Lives Matter
    Aug 18, 2011
    quantum spins
    I've been considering a PMP (already applied and was accepted), but am concerned that after spending yet again more money on classes and the test, it will end up being a waste of time and money.

Is the PMP really that valuable/required? It just seems like anything I could achieve after a 4 day class shouldn't be held as that valuable.
    my personal opinion is no.. erwos was correct, it requires somewhere in the area of 4k hours of pm experience.. but imho the verfication process is a joke. I've seen people 3-4 years removed from college receive their pmp.. no chance in hell you're accumulating 4k hours of pm qualifying experience in that short time.

And security oriented certs or acquisition and logistics (DAWIA) certs seem to be growing in demand.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You can accumulate 4k within two years... you just have to be doing the job already. (And if you're doing the job, PMP is basically icing on the cake anyways, since employers tend to care way more about experience than certs.)

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    As Norton and others have said...it depends on your career path. I got mine when I was in my late 20's, but I worked at Johns Hopkins Medical School and they paid for it - so I was lucky. In my field I'm not sure it was imperative, but my mom was a teacher and instilled in us that all the education you could get was a good thing.

If you're going for an MBA then I would say, yes, that it will definitely help your career if you wish to get into management in pretty much any field.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    PMP is pretty useful if you're going to do federal contracting. If you can really get it after a 4-day class, more power to you, but, IIRC, it also requires a huge number of hours doing project management.

I've already applied for and been accepted/cleared to take the test. (I've logged all of the required hours of PM experience and the classroom education parts). So yes, I can literally take a 4 day class, take the test, and get my PMP. I just wonder if the 4 day prep class and test is really worth $1800. It just seems, to me, like people make a MUCH bigger deal out of it than they should.

mickeyk9

Member Lives Matter
    Aug 18, 2011
    quantum spins
    I've already applied for and been accepted. (I've logged all of the required hours of PM experience and the classroom education parts). I just wonder if the 4 day prep class and test is worth $1800.
    If you stand to put yourself in a position to advance more rapidly in your current situation or down the road, then yes it is. If PM is an area of interest and you want the knowledgebase to accompany your experience, then yes it is. If you're just doing it because it's there and you want to augment yourself in same fashion, then I would say no. There are other certs one can get that in my opinion are more valuable to the shifting trend in the contracting/consulting world. Everyone's situation is a bit different though. You'd have to weigh the culture at your current employment. I work for one of the big 5 DoD contractors, and I can say with complete certainty that PMP isn't regarded as highly as it once was. And I can also say that it's definitely a geographic thing, because as I travel to other states, there is a corporate push to get PMP's at those locations. But in my home operation location (Northern MD), 40% of the 2k people in our office have the cert.

However, if you're set on the PMP cert then taking the 4 day class is beneficial to help focus your study habits and thought process towards how the test itself is organized and presented.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    If you stand to put yourself in a position to advance more rapidly in your current situation or down the road, then yes it is. If PM is an area of interest and you want the knowledge base to accompany your experience, then yes it is. If you're just doing it because it's there and you want to augment yourself in same fashion, then I would say no. There are other certs one can get that in my opinion are more valuable to the shifting trend in the contracting/consulting world. Everyone's situation is a bit different though. You'd have to weigh the culture at your current employment. I work for one of the big 5 DoD contractors, and I can say with complete certainty that PMP isn't regarded as highly as it once was. And I can also say that it's definitely a geographic thing, because as I travel to other states, there is a corporate push to get PMP's at those locations. But in my home operation location (Northern MD), 40% of the 2k people in our office have the cert.

However, if you're set on the PMP cert then taking the 4 day class is beneficial to help focus your study habits and thought process towards how the test itself is organized and presented.

My company doesn't recognize it at all. I'm thinking more for my job search. I've already had a few companies I'm applying with ask me if I have my PMP, so I'm trying to decide if it's worth the money/time.

What other certs are "up and coming"?

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    I've already applied for and been accepted/cleared to take the test. (I've logged all of the required hours of PM experience and the classroom education parts). So yes, I can literally take a 4 day class, take the test, and get my PMP. I just wonder if the 4 day prep class and test is really worth $1800. It just seems, to me, like people make a MUCH bigger deal out of it than they should.

SOME contracts with the government now call out the PM must have PMP cert. I personally don't buy this - I would rather have a proven PM than a certified one....but you really never know......

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    SOME contracts with the government now call out the PM must have PMP cert. I personally don't buy this - I would rather have a proven PM than a certified one....but you really never know......
    This is the case, or at least I've heard the same.

CronusTRD

Creeper
    Mar 1, 2007
    You may want to see if your previous coursework is still valid. Some degrees reset after a certain amount of time, and you may have to repeat courses you already completed.

I'm on the final semester of my MBA. I have no corporate or contractual requirement to get the degree, however I wanted it as a fallback, should I end up jobless.

Debating post-graduate work. Hopkins has an international studies PhD program that is sort of appealing. PMP is pretty common sense, you just need to learn the "lingo".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom