Shooting coyote in Eastern Baltimore County?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Neighborhood "page" showed a guy with a coyote that he had shot on his property. This is residential property that backs up to a State Park, FWIW.

Several other people in the area, have also claimed to have seen one or two together, and as many as 8 in a group, in the same general area.

Where would one find the "rules" pertaining to when/where this is legal to do?

I agree with what was done, 100%, and hope he is within his rights to do what he did, but also can't help but wonder if the guy made a mistake.

I thought I read/saw somewhere about if they were seen "hunting" on your property, or harming you, your family, or your own animals, it was OK, but that may have been the cat thread, lol.

Attachments

• coyote.jpg
      coyote.jpg
      174.1 KB · Views: 1,646

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    coyote hunting regs can be found on the DNR e-regs site (http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/furbearer-seasons-limits/). Basically: season is open 365 days. Night hunting as well during certain months (Oct-March).

There are coyotes in all counties now and they can be quite fearless walking around in the 'burbs on the street in full daylight.

As for methods, this will vary locally. Firearms restrictions in particular will vary county to county.

In Baltimore County IIRC its only illegal in the metropolitan district, and there is a shotgun exception for hunting too.

http://baltimoreco-md.elaws.us/code/coor_art17_t2_sec17-2-101

coyote hunting regs can be found on the DNR e-regs site. Basically: season is open 365 days. Night hunting as well during certain months.

There are coyotes in all counties now and they can be quite fearless walking around in the 'burbs on the street in full daylight.

As for methods, this will vary locally. Firearms restrictions in particular will vary county to county.[/]

I've often wondered why the DNR is attempting to protect an invasive apex predator that is non native and has no intrinsic value to the ecosystem. some of my hunting buddies theorize that yotes were purposely introduced to the state in hopes of controlling the deer population. I'm not sure if I believe that but it would explain why an invader like this would be given protection when other invasive species like snake heads, mitten crabs and zebra mussels are not only unprotected, but destruction when harvested is required. I'm an ethical hunter and follow the state's regulations to the letter, however the coyote regs are where the state and I part ways. I've found too many dead fawns on my hunting property to give yotes a pass when they are "out of season"...If I see one it's a dead one..they are most active at night, there is no reason to protect them during their active hours

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    coyote hunting regs can be found on the DNR e-regs site. Basically: season is open 365 days. Night hunting as well during certain months.

As for methods, this will vary locally. Firearms restrictions in particular will vary county to county.

I've often wondered why the DNR is attempting to protect an invasive apex predator that is non native and has no intrinsic value to the ecosystem. some of my hunting buddies theorize that yotes were purposely introduced to the state in hopes of controlling the deer population. I'm not sure if I believe that but it would explain why an invader like this would be given protection when other invasive species like snake heads, mitten crabs and zebra mussels are not only unprotected, but destruction when harvested is required. I'm an ethical hunter and follow the state's regulations to the letter, however the coyote regs are where the state and I part ways. I've found too many dead fawns on my hunting property to give yotes a pass when they are "out of season"...If I see one it's a dead one..they are most active at night, there is no reason to protect them during their active hours

What protection? They are the only species that can be hunted year round (during daylight). That does not sound like protection to me! DNR is basically saying kill em all!

Tinfoil types dont think coyotes were introduced for deer, it was for nutria. If you believe such rumors.

Read the DNR Coyote page pay particular attention to the Ecological Implications and Social Implications sections because they are here and this is what is going to happen.
    https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/hunt_trap/coyote.aspx

Open season all year long with no bag limit is not much "protection".

it is when they are active more than 80% at night and you legally can do nothing but look at them. They should be considered vermin and completely unprotected. They are non native and have no value..

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Nope , they migrated here on their own , coming up thru the Shenandoah Valley corridor .

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Hmm. There are tons of protected deer in my area, due to the park being their home...I'm betting that is why the uptick of coyote sightings is happening.

Looks like I should maybe send the guy's wife a message and tell her it behooves them to remove their un-edited, easily identifiable photo from the internet.

The spot where this occurred is in a residential neighborhood, next to a state park.

Oct 15-Mar-15 they can be hunted at night. Pretty sure this is the only species MD lets you hunt at night.

coons and possums can be hunted at night

Coyote pupping season starts in April. Why would they end night hunting just prior to the females giving birth? This is an invasive species that needs to be exterminated, not regulated to conserve the resource like game animals and migratory birds.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    What protection? They are the only species that can be hunted year round (during daylight). That does not sound like protection to me! DNR is basically saying kill em all!

Tinfoil types dont think coyotes were introduced for deer, it was for nutria. If you believe such rumors.

Groundhogs and nutria are also year round

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    coons and possums can be hunted at night

Coyote pupping season starts in April. Why would they end night hunting just prior to the females giving birth? This is an invasive species that needs to be exterminated, not regulated to conserve the resource like game animals and migratory birds.

Maybe you should ask. They are not trying to "conserve" coyotes (based on discussions with Park Rangers), there are other practical considerations to hunting seasons esp at night when the days get longer.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Nope , they migrated here on their own , coming up thru the Shenandoah Valley corridor .

Urban myth in this area is they were introduced on APG ( aberdeen proving ground) to control the deer population on post. I've also read where USFW claims they managed to cross the Mississippi River barrier by migrating through Canada then down. How them critters never figured out how to do that until the last 30 years or so is a bit puzzling.

Maybe you should ask. They are not trying to "conserve" coyotes (based on discussions with Park Rangers), there are other practical considerations to hunting seasons esp at night when the days get longer.

Whether it's being done for conservation or because they don't like the idea of hunters in the woods after dark after March, the outcome is the same..where the yote population should be as close to zero as possible, these regulations allow for renewing the resource and it shouldn't be.

The DNR likes to create stupid regs based on the notion that most hunters would use or exploit any opportunity to violate the law..like did you know if you shoot a deer and have to track it after dark and when you find it alive you are forbidden to put it out of it's misery? Because the DNR believes that hunters would exploit this to hunt deer after dark...ridiculous.. (also another reg I won't abide by)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom