All the girls in high school "NOT DISAPPROVED" me, too.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    Don't get me wrong: I was glad to get this email. But I'll never understand the phrasing of "Not Disapproved." You have to wonder how many meetings of the BOGSAT it took to come up with that phrase.

(BOGSAT = Bunch Of Guys Sitting Around Table)

Congratulations. Your application, XXXXX, to purchase a regulated firearm from XXXXX has been Not Disapproved by the Maryland State Police. You may return to the selected firearm dealer to arrange pickup/transfer of your item during the dealer's regular business hours.

When you return to your selected firearm dealer to pick up your item, you will need the application PIN in order to complete the weapon transfer. The PIN for application XXXXX is: XXXX.

If you have already taken possession of the firearm in question, or you believe you are receiving this email in error, please notify the Maryland State Police Licensing Division immediately at: 410
    Thank you,
    The Maryland State Police,
    Licensing Division

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    That phrase is a deliberate reminder from your state government that their default position and preference is for you to be denied. This is meant to make you feel cautious and to remain in a mother-may-I mindset about your rights.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I think it may be a liability thing...if they actually approve you for a firearm then should you or someone else with your firearm commit a crime, an adventurous attorney could sue the state as a party to the crime since it was the state that approved you for the firearm in the first place. By stating you're not disapproved it means they couldn't legally stop you from obtaining it. The fear of liability drives a lot of government as well as corporate decisions.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I think it may be a liability thing...if they actually approve you for a firearm then should you or someone else with your firearm commit a crime, an adventurous attorney could sue the state as a party to the crime since it was the state that approved you for the firearm in the first place. By stating you're not disapproved it means they couldn't legally stop you from obtaining it. The fear of liability drives a lot of government as well as corporate decisions.

^^^this.

You beat me to it, sir.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It may sound like a liability issue, but of course it's mere weasel-wording, pandering to the anti-2A crowd that the state has worked so hard to create and empower.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Simple truth.

This post is NOT DISSAPROVED.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I doubt the state would’ve liable even if were worded differently. Hell, a county inspector can inspect a deck 10’ off of the ground but when it falls because of improper construction it’s not the county’s problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Personally, I would conjecture that the State AG has likely advised them that it puts the State in a precarious position if they were to use the word "approved" in regards to the exercise of a Constitutionally-protected civil right, hence the double-negative weasel phrase.

Last edited:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Personally, I would conjecture that the State AG has likely advised them that it puts the State in a precarious position if they were to use the word "approved" in regards to the exercise of a Constitutionally-protected civil right, hence the double-negative weasel phrase.

Who was AG when this was first put into use? I'm guessing Comrade Joe Curran...the apparatchik's apparatchik. Whatever anti-gun, anti-freedom attitudes Brian Frosh may have he probably learned from Curran.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Who was AG when this was first put into use? I'm guessing Comrade Joe Curran...the apparatchik's apparatchik. Whatever anti-gun, anti-freedom attitudes Brian Frosh may have he probably learned from Curran.

I would have to ask some of those with more gray hair than me. I don't know when they started using the Not Disapproved language. And, again, I am just conjecturing that this was a reason, not the entire rationale, behind the weasel words.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's like in court when you are adjudicated "not guilty". They never say "found innocent" It's a CYA thing, I think. It means someone failed to find you guilty. Someone failed to disapprove you. They've cleaned their hands of you.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I would have to ask some of those with more gray hair than me. I don't know when they started using the Not Disapproved language. And, again, I am just conjecturing that this was a reason, not the entire rationale, behind the weasel words.

They've been using the "Not Disapproved" language since the days of paper applications...before they went to doing so on-line. Your applications would come back with a "Not Disapproved" handstamp in big letters.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It's like in court when you are adjudicated "not guilty". They never say "found innocent" It's a CYA thing, I think. It means someone failed to find you guilty. Someone failed to disapprove you. They've cleaned their hands of you.

It's the same when a state's attorney won't prosecute due to "insufficient evidence". It's a legal way of saying not that you're innocent but they don't have enough evidence to charge you and find you guilty.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's the same when a state's attorney won't prosecute due to "insufficient evidence". It's a legal way of saying not that you're innocent but they don't have enough evidence to charge you and find you guilty.
    Exactly

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    They've been using the "Not Disapproved" language since the days of paper applications...before they went to doing so on-line. Your applications would come back with a "Not Disapproved" handstamp in big letters.

I know it's been like that since 1999, when I came of age. I figure it's been that way when the parchmentwork actually did say, "If it pleases the crown." :shrug:

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD

I suspect MD is unique in using such language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom