Reloading Valley anybody use them before?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    So I am looking to venture out on my .223 reloading and so far I have only loaded 55s well I have been looking around at 62 grains and came across these
    http://www.reloadingvalley.com/22-Cal-62gr-224-SS109-p/rv22p62ss109-0500.htm
    It's a company that Xtreme list on there website as clearance reloading supplies (bullets/brass). First question has any used this company and seen there what seems to be a majority pulled bullets quality and condition?
    Second if you haven't ever used them. Have you used pulled 22 Cal 62gr .224 SS109 from another company? How where they condition and how did they shoot?
    Here's what the website lists as a description.
    These bullets are from a pulldown operation, so they will be slightly tarnished and you may notice light tooling marks and deformed tips from the demil process.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I personally haven't used pulled .224 SS109s, but have a buddy who does. He uses it for his plinking reloads and they do just fine. You aren't going to get precision out of them due to the marring from the pulling process, but if you're looking to just plink, or to train with a heavier projo on the cheap, they do just fine. As for the company itself. They're a part of Howell Munitions and Technology. Same guys that own RangeTime Ammo, Freedom Munitions, and (of course) Xtreme Bullets. http://www.howellmunitionsandtech.com/ I've never used Reloading Valley (seems like they're trying to grab google hits from PVI with a name like that) but my experience with Xtreme has always been good so I'd figure you'd have a similar experience with them?

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I did place an order for 500 of the 62 gr FMJ 224 cal bullets. They were is pretty good shape. Ran them thru my tumbler for 40 minutes to remove the sealer and they were like new. I did find 1 that was smashed, 1 that was just an empty jacket and 2 that I have no clue what they are. I'm attaching a photo of them. They weight 60 gr and are much longer than the 62 gr bullets. They also dont have lead in them. Could they be the Army "green" bullet? Would probably need at least a 1:7 twist to stabilize them as they are about 1 1/8" long. Any idea what they are?

Attachments

• DSCN0420.jpg
      DSCN0420.jpg
      51.1 KB · Views: 181

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Are these likely to be more accurate than the 55 gr Hornady FMJBT? I suspect not. I've never undstood the fascination with the 62s.

ETA: As a new reloader, I would head down the path of trying some match bullets. Nosler blems from shootersproshop.com for instance. Military bullets aint all that great. Pulled military bullets, blehhhh. If you're shooting at 100 to 200 yards, the 52s are great. Longer ranges, try the 77s. Otherwise, stick to the Hornady FMJs.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    They're just plinking bullets, very cheap. I've been shooting 55 gr Sierras for over 40 years and they shoot very good. Military bullets shoot pretty well. For 22 years in the military, I qualified expert every time and always shot top score in the Battalion and always with M-193 ammo. M-193 used to eat the center of the target out. We didnt have the SS109 stuff then

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Bullet pictured above is a tracer. My experience with SS-109s is they are not worth the trouble to reload - accuracy wise they suck. I mean if you need to shoot through a Soviet Era helmet, go for it. M-193 ball ammo is what I am shooting in 3-gun; use 55 gr Hornady SP for prairie dog; OTM for target shooting.

Good luck

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom