"Temple Index" -- Is this actually a thing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    For the mall ninjas out there; knock it off!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    There's reasons this technique has survived for so long and niches where it works well. It's my go to position because I'm the second tallest one in my family and unless my older brother tilts his head over my barrel my muzzle won't cover anyone I care about. As always context is king and proper training is necessary.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    For the mall ninjas out there; knock it off!

I like the dude. Thanks for introducing me to his channel.

The part where he tilts the pistol toward the other guy's head made me cringe.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In the Nothing is truely New department.

For a particular generation of us , this was well known as the Charlie's Angels Position, aka the Sabrina Position .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    There's reasons this technique has survived for so long and niches where it works well. It's my go to position because I'm the second tallest one in my family and unless my older brother tilts his head over my barrel my muzzle won't cover anyone I care about. As always context is king and proper training is necessary.

This has survived where? What classes can you recommend who teach this? Thanks.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    In the Nothing is truely New department.

For a particular generation of us , this was well known as the Charlie's Angels Position, aka the Sabrina Position .

My first SWAT school back in 94 or so they taught this. It was awful. Never in any training since has this ever been mentioned as an option or taught as a primary carry.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Reminds me of this from the FBI.
    201183104447-fbi_m_1.jpg

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    This has survived where? What classes can you recommend who teach this? Thanks.

Will Petty utilizes/teaches it in his Vehicle CQB classes. Others adopted it accordingly, but only for very specific circumstances working around people and vehicles. He's overall well regarded, and you can find videos of portions of his classes on YouTube.

FWIW, when I did Pannone's Street and Vehicle class a few years ago, without naming Petty by name (most of us knew who he was referring to), he completely mocked the technique.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Will Petty utilizes/teaches it in his Vehicle CQB classes. Others adopted it accordingly, but only for very specific circumstances working around people and vehicles. He's overall well regarded, and you can find videos of portions of his classes on YouTube.

FWIW, when I did Pannone's Street and Vehicle class a few years ago, without naming Petty by name (most of us knew who he was referring to), he completely mocked the technique.
    Well, I was asking mopar which of the classes he's attended taught it. We all know you attend many classes and can vouch for or criticize certain techniques.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Well, I was asking mopar which of the classes he's attended taught it. We all know you attend many classes and can vouch for or criticize certain techniques.

My bad. I took your question as a generic one when you asked who teaches this.

On a side note, when I said that Pannone mocked the temple index, he didn't do so in a pure mock. Instead, he, in typical fashion, outlined the many reasons why the technique is subpar.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    We're laughing now, but the pic shows FBI doctrine ( further spread to State and Local PD's through the FBI NA ) from the 1930s until 1970s .

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    Ahh. The good ol' SUL method.

Has this fallen out of favor?
    I learned it years ago, and I tend to use it during training as my default low ready. The biggest complaint I've heard about it is that it tends to make people tense up. I've compensated for that by not bringing it all the way into my chest and assuming the hunched position I normally see people use with this. The way I hold the gun, it looks kind of like the unarmed ready position I see police use with their hands slightly touching near the solar plexus. I think I've heard it called the interview position.
    If this is something that has been found to be less than optimal, what do you suggest as an alternative? I'm always looking to improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom