I HATE Using Corn Cob Media in a Vibratory Tumbler!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    So, did you get your lizard litter?

I'm glad you asked. And you are correct, the Petsmart in LaVale is a "mini" version of their retail stores.

I asked about lizard litter and walnut. The closest they had was this 14# bag of walnut kitty litter. The lady said it kinda looked like coffee grounds.

I figured for $12 it was worth a try. If it doesn't work I'll give it to my daughter - she has cats. I've been cat-free for 7 years :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC08172 Walnut Cat Litter.jpg
      DSC08172 Walnut Cat Litter.jpg
      68.7 KB · Views: 146

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    We tried walnut litter with our cats. Fail. We use crystal litter these days. I wonder if anyone has tried to tumble with the crystal litter?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm glad you asked. And you are correct, the Petsmart in LaVale is a "mini" version of their retail stores.

I asked about lizard litter and walnut. The closest they had was this 14# bag of walnut kitty litter. The lady said it kinda looked like coffee grounds.

I figured for $12 it was worth a try. If it doesn't work I'll give it to my daughter - she has cats. I've been cat-free for 7 years :thumbsup:

Go to Petsmart or someplace like that and buy a 20 pound bag of Kaytee Pet Bird Walnut Litter for next to nothing. It's the best media around. That, a dab of Nu-Finish car polish and a dryer sheet. You can't go wrong.

Good Luck!

This is what you'll need. I believe that kitty litter is going to be way too dusty.

Good Luck!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    This is what you'll need. I believe that kitty litter is going to be way too dusty.

Good Luck!

I knew it wasn't Kaytee Pet Bird Walnut Litter. This Petsmart is so small and so far off the beaten path they were clueless.

Like I said, it's a 90 mile round trip. Once there, I was buying "something" to bring home.

:lol2:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I knew it wasn't Kaytee Pet Bird Walnut Litter. This Petsmart is so small and so far off the beaten path they were clueless.

Like I said, it's a 90 mile round trip. Once there, I was buying "something" to bring home.

Might want to try Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-Walnut-Bedding-Litter-25-Pound/dp/B0002AQMLO

If you don't want to spend that money there is a 7lb bag available too.

Petco sells this.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/kaytee-walnut-litter-for-birds

Good Luck!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sure, corn cob media cleans cases well. What the original topic I posted was that corn cob gets stuck in flash holes of de-capped cases and walnut does not.

Maybe you missed the point of the thread?

;)

Did you read what I quoted? That was what I was answering.

Originally Posted by j8064
    Tumbling once is only a "vialble corn cob" solution for cases that do not require lube in the resizing step. On my bench, the second trip through the tumbler to remove lube residue is important in about 50% of the cases I reload.

Maybe you missed the point of my post?

:D

And BTW I answered your issue MANY posts ago in this thread.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Did you read what I quoted? That was what I was answering.

Maybe you missed the point of my post?

:D

And BTW I answered your issue MANY posts ago in this thread.

No prob. We're on the same page. :thumbsup:

I tumbled another 150 unsized 9mm cases in corn cob. After a trip through the sizing die they're GTG. Once the corn cob is dirty, I'm gonna try the walnut kitty litter. That should be an adventure!

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    I agree, corn cob is evil.

I bought "a deal" bag of cob media that was too chunky. Left hunks in the cases that bent the deprime pin. Heck, even had a couple that left hunks in the case that then allowed the powder to over flow. Caught that (progressive press) or it could have gotten "interesting".

I went back to walnut shell and have been happy since.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I tumble brass with old primer .. deprime after cleaning brass.

Having progressive loader helps also.. with deprimer . Will clear the flash hole.

Me too. Never a fan of running dirty brass through a depriming die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom