• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Green rush, grey market: How free weed is firing up D.C.'s pot 'gifting economy'

Savvy "ganja-preneuers" have found a way to turn this cannabis grey market into a lucrative pot bazaar.

"You've got several stores that are on the free-gift model," said Mike Evans, the "senior grow tech" at Grow Club DC, a supplier of hydroponic equipment in the Adams Morgan neighbourhood, known as Washington's "green light district."

The not-quite pot purveyors sell everything from paintings by deaf artists to edibles such as "medicated" chocolate truffles, Evans said.

"And it's amazingly open here."

So open, in fact, that sidewalk merchants will hawk $60 plain white T-shirts with a "free gift" outside the bars and clubs lining the buzzy U Street corridor.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/free-weed-marijuana-gifting-economy-pot-washington-dc-1.4457664

When/will the Feds put an end to this? Reminds me of the open market on The Wire.

It would have to be easy for DEA agents to walk into every one of these "joints" (no pun intended) and bring the houses down.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    You think that's bad. Openly advertised weed parties with 30-40k in marijuana weekly. Drug dealers with 2oz pre packaged into dime bags sitting on street corners with the marijuana in plain view under them as advertisement .

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Congress shot themselves in the foot on this one. The people voted it legal, but Congress blocked any funding to regulate and tax it. So, the District makes no revenue off of it and vendors do what they can to "not sell" it publicly.

Whether you think legal MJ is good or bad, this is the worst of both outcomes.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Not gonna try to blow purple haze up anybody's skirt - I've never used the stuff and don't plan on it. But I have to wonder, of all the things that DC needs, how could weed make anyone's top 100? No offense intended to users and wanna-users. I don't know if the medical benefits are all they're advertised to be. I know my favorite MDS Doc has expressed negative opinions.

But on a positive note: :D Ever seen the monuments ...

Attachments

• jon-stewart-wee22222d.jpg
      jon-stewart-wee22222d.jpg
      16.3 KB · Views: 592

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    Not gonna try to blow purple haze up anybody's skirt - I've never used the stuff and don't plan on it. But I have to wonder, of all the things that DC needs, how could weed make anyone's top 100? No offense intended to users and wanna-users. I don't know if the medical benefits are all they're advertised to be. I know my favorite MDS Doc has expressed negative opinions.

But on a positive note: :D Ever seen the monuments ...
    Part of the issue is the not-unsubstantial effort by pharmaceutical lobbyists (which have deep, deep reach into the pockets of all our favorite politicians) to halt / delay / hinder any formalized medical research on the full range of benefits CHBD can provide...but yes, I'd say legalizing recreational use of something less harmful than alcohol by every measure isn't in the top 100...because they didn't go CO style and tax / regulate it.

If they did that, for no other reason than the sheer amount of money it'd bring in it'd make the top 100, maybe even top 50.

Not a user myself, but frankly, it always makes me laugh to see all these old fogie politicians lambasting recreational pot use then sitting down to dinner with their 6 scotches and a bottle of wine.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I'd say legalizing recreational use of something less harmful than alcohol by every measure...

Not a user myself, but frankly, it always makes me laugh to see all these old fogie politicians lambasting recreational pot use then sitting down to dinner with their 6 scotches and a bottle of wine.

Old fogies? less harmful? Obama and his administration elected to create new language on gun purchase forms that made sure to assert that even in states where smoking a joint once a year was legal that this 100% barred you from purchasing a firearm.

And the chock full of ultra liberal Democrats Ninth court of appeals went out of its way to say it is way more dangerous than alcohol use, saying anyone with a medical marijuana card needs to be barred from gun ownership: because it “raises the risk of irrational or unpredictable behavior with which gun use should not be associated.”

I don't think people who smoke a joint once or twice a year are engaging in dangerous behavior and should be barred from gun ownership, but that is not old fogies saying that -- that is the liberal left saying it.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    Old fogies? less harmful? Obama and his administration elected to create new language on gun purchase forms that made sure to assert that even in states where smoking a joint once a year was legal that this 100% barred you from purchasing a firearm.

And the chock full of ultra liberal Democrats Ninth court of appeals went out of its way to say it is way more dangerous than alcohol use, saying anyone with a medical marijuana card needs to be barred from gun ownership: because it “raises the risk of irrational or unpredictable behavior with which gun use should not be associated.”

I don't think people who smoke a joint once or twice a year are engaging in dangerous behavior and should be barred from gun ownership, but that is not old fogies saying that -- that is the liberal left saying it.

Yeah but if the ultra liberal left from cali could say that eating red meat should make you a prohibited person they surely would. :innocent0

chipd

May 20, 2017
    Cannabis prohibition has its roots in racism and hatred, and still exists because the same racism and hatred still exists. "Marijuana" is a made up word that is a contraction of Maria and Juana.. two mexican slang names for cannabis. It was created as a symbol of the hatred for Mexicans, that could be exploited in a congress full of racists. The only reason police officers like cannabis being illegal is it allows them to arrest people they hate for no good reason. If you support cannabis prohibition, you might as well be flying a nazi flag outside your house.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Cannabis prohibition has its roots in racism and hatred, and still exists because the same racism and hatred still exists. "Marijuana" is a made up word that is a contraction of Maria and Juana.. two mexican slang names for cannabis. It was created as a symbol of the hatred for Mexicans, that could be exploited in a congress full of racists. The only reason police officers like cannabis being illegal is it allows them to arrest people they hate for no good reason. If you support cannabis prohibition, you might as well be flying a nazi flag outside your house.

:lol2::lol2:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    What chipd said may be a bit hyperbole.

But playing up its racist origins in the 1930's did play a major part in swaying public opinion and getting marijuana banned. The newspapers ate up stories propagated by Anslinger and the DEA that told of white women being seduced into using marijuana and being raped by black men while high on the drug.

There is a grain of truth that the drug war in general has some racial components: look at the war on drugs (specifically crack) in the 80s while the powdered version of the same drug was rather openly accepted. There are good reasons why crack was targeted as being the bigger source of social problems--but it also created a racial divide in who was being jailed for using or selling a very similar chemical compound. Correlation is not equal to causation but I can understand how the drug war has been perceived as one more reason to throw black men in jail.

Attachments

• V05t2VO.jpg
      V05t2VO.jpg
      48 KB · Views: 270

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    This is a DE issue but I think will be looked at by many states if there is action in HB234 below.

----
    DE v. Murray 2016
    https://courts.delaware.gov/Opinions/Download.aspx?id=255380

This decision confirmed in DE that even if the MJ possession is a civil offense (less than an ounce), you are still able to be charged with felony firearms possession.
    ---

DE House Bill 234 (Tabled on 1/17/18) would remove the felony firearms possession charge if caught with one ounce or less of MJ.
    http://www.legis.delaware.gov/BillDetail?legislationId=25978

I'm not sure yet who (Dems/GOP/combo thereof) decided to table the legislation last week.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    What chipd said may be a bit hyperbole.

But playing up its racist origins in the 1930's did play a major part in swaying public opinion and getting marijuana banned. The newspapers ate up stories propagated by Anslinger and the DEA that told of white women being seduced into using marijuana and being raped by black men while high on the drug.

There is a grain of truth that the drug war in general has some racial components: look at the war on drugs (specifically crack) in the 80s while the powdered version of the same drug was rather openly accepted. There are good reasons why crack was targeted as being the bigger source of social problems--but it also created a racial divide in who was being jailed for using or selling a very similar chemical compound. Correlation is not equal to causation but I can understand how the drug war has been perceived as one more reason to throw black men in jail.

I think we’ve both been around long enough to know the portion of his statement I’m laughing at

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    To be fair I laughed at a few different portions of his statement... just wanted to add a little nuance.

But you DO use it as an excuse to tase people you disagree with, yes? :D

lol sir I'm not authorized a taser. Although I am about to go deal with a property issue where a crazy person is bulding a church in his backyard out of stolen building materials and rewiring a whole apartment building.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    lol sir I'm not authorized a taser. Although I am about to go deal with a property issue where a crazy person is bulding a church in his backyard out of stolen building materials and rewiring a whole apartment building.

Can I please do a ride-along while you visit this person?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

What the duece?!?!?!

I thought the song was Ganja boats are coming to win us.

Longer boats are coming to win us
    They're coming to win us, they're coming to win us
    Longer boats are coming to win us
    Hold on to the shore, they'll be taking the key from the door.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    There are benefits to marijuana that unfortunately go ignored because most people use the plant for recreation. I know a person who suffers from kidney stones. Anyone who has had kidney stones knows the severe pain which many say is worse than a woman giving birth. A woman usually gives birth in 4-6 hours, but kidney stones usually take a day or two or more to pass. If you have a KS problem, going to the hospital means a CT scan, a shot of morphine and they send you home with an opioid prescription.

Many people can’t take opioids because they experience severe side effects of opioid induced constipation and OIC medications don’t help. It might not sound like much, but it can damage your colon requiring surgery to remove the impacted material and damaged colon.

For the person I know, eating cannabutter helps manage the pain until the stones pass. This is the only time they use the plant and they keep it on hand for just this situation.

Opioids and alcohol are far worse and create many more problems for society. Not condoning recreational marijuana use but it’s hypocritical of our society to see downing six packs on the weekends as harmless but stigmatize marijuana across the board.

For many cancer patients, epileptics, Parkinson sufferers, PTSD veterans, chemo patients, people with Crohn’s disease and multiple sclerosis find this plant life changing. It’s too bad that we don’t study the positive uses more.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The sentiments in the first part of the attachment in Post #10 are accurate of the sentiments and attitudes of the time . Except the then name of the agency was Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs ( BNDD).

Harry Ainslinger was the major advocate for its creation , and its long time head . Ainslinger also had powerful ego , and seemingly wanted to make himself into another J Edgar Hoover .

Around the turn of the (20th ) Century , the anti Cocaine furror was centered primarily around negros , and specifically for cocaine to inspire black men to rape white women . But that's a different discussion.

( My usual disclaimer - I've never used any of the above , nor have inclinations even if legal .)

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    The real reason marijuana was made illegal, in the 1930's new technology allowed hemp to be processed much more efficiently. This threatened the powerful timber and fossil fuel industries, if hemp could provide the same products much more efficiently and for cheaper, who would continue to use wood pulp for paper and for building materials, and who would want to use oil from dirty fossil fuels? At the same time a massive anti cannabis propaganda campaign was funded by these powerful corporations, Henry Ford made a car from hemp plastics that could run on fuel from hemp. Popular Science magazine proclaimed hemp to be the next "Billion Dollar Crop". William Randolph Hearst owned newspaper companies that relied on paper from wood pulp, he was heavily invested in the timber industry, so he ran story after story in his newspapers about the evils of this horrible plant and how "Marihuana influences Negroes to look at white people in the eye, step on white men's shadows and look at a white woman twice." (1930's Hearst Newspapers) You know, if a negro smokes one joint they become crazed and immediately feel the need to go out and rape white women....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srgE6Tzi3Lg

Attachments

• marijuanahearst.jpeg
      marijuanahearst.jpeg
      26.5 KB · Views: 113
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members