• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    So I got one of these: (not my pic)
    9077058439_94220b3495_b_d.jpg

The gun is VERY tight and seems fairly well put together. Shoots nice as well.

My issue/problem...the SIGHTS. They are all black adjustable target sights. They totally wash out against a black silouhette. I'd like either white dot or night sights for it. Ive tried to remedy this by:

1. Calling S&W customer service. They said the dovetails are proprietary and I was S.O.L no replacements are available except all black

2. Visited 5 gunshops (4 are IP here) none had any useful info. I did NOT speak to any gunsmiths at said shops because they were not available.

3. Called Dawson precision. They make a fiber front but no rear sight. They have no intention to produce a rear sight.

4. Called wilson Combat. They "think" their tritium front and rear sight blades will work but if not I pay the shipping both ways and restock fee

I'd prefer to keep the gun but If I can't see the sights the gun is not of much use to me. So I'm left with finding a solution from a competent gunsmith or selling/trade this thing for another 1911. What would be a good replacement 1911 in the same price/quality range? Whats your opinions?

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    I'd also like to add:
    - I do not have a problem switching to fixed sights if thats what needs to be done.
    - The rear dovetail is NOT a BOMAR cut or any other "normal" cut. Noone can tell me what it is called

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    It's a ~$1500 gun I'll sell the damn thing before I put sight paint on it

Really? I have put paint on Les Baer and Wilson Combats, I don't see the problem. BTW If you are interested I have a set of 3 dots for a Wilson you can have for the cost of shipping if you think they will work, or I'll give you a grand for the gun.(then I'll paint the sights)
    Come to think of it I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson Combats worked, my SW 952 came stock with wilson combat sites.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Really? I have put paint on Les Baer and Wilson Combats, I don't see the problem. BTW If you are interested I have a set of 3 dots for a Wilson you can have for the cost of shipping if you think they will work, or I'll give you a grand for the gun.(then I'll paint the sights)

Damn I was gonna offer $25. After all it needs work.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    It's a ~$1500 gun I'll sell the damn thing before I put sight paint on it

Come to think of it I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson Combats worked, my SW 952 came stock with wilson combat sites.

I have paint on the rear sight of mine.....but, it's just a Colt. :rolleyes:

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Give John Carduner, a call. He is listed in the IP section.
    Gunsmith Specializes in 1911. great guy to work with, and he also works out of
    FREESTATE RANGE. Been there, done that.

R

(Disclaimer: we are Not associated with Carduner or Freestate)

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Give Bobby at Bollinger Gunsmithing and Sales a call. He can set you up right by milling the sight for a Novak cut. That will open up your options considerably.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    The easiest fix is to sell the slide and buy one set up for carry instead of bullseye. Another option is to send the slide out for custom tritium.

http://www.tooltechgunsight.com/
    Thanks

Give John Carduner, a call. He is listed in the IP section.
    Gunsmith Specializes in 1911. great guy to work with, and he also works out of
    FREESTATE RANGE. Been there, done that.

R

(Disclaimer: we are Not associated with Carduner or Freestate)
    Thanks

NO

Give Bobby at Bollinger Gunsmithing and Sales a call. He can set you up right by milling the sight for a Novak cut. That will open up your options considerably.

Looks like milling is probably going to be the fix. Thanks

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    I have the same issue with my usp9. I can't see the black on black, especially shooting a black target. Night sights are in my future.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    We'll presume for the moment that indeed S&W ( PC ? ) Really did use a unique propritary rear sight.

Long way round the bush answer- an Old School 'Smith with milling machine or hand filing skills modify your slide to fit (whatever) , OR adapt various sights to your slide , OR make custom sights of your own design to fit.

Best Answer - you already have good quality sights in place , you just don't care for the color scheme. Add color. You don't scrap a new car if you don't like the tread pattern.It is common practice to colorize/ decolorize your sights to taste. Experement with typewriter correction fluid (aka whiteout) in various colors. Use nail polish - rainbow of colors , removable in 30 seconds if you want to change or go back to black. Only needs touchup every cpl months for daily holster use. Or use paint , either "sight paint" or model paint.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Post #20 is your answer. Just buy a spare set of sights if it calms your nerves. We are just talking about sights after all. Not high-dollar items when considering the bigger picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom