• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Initially I was going to pass on the latest auction in nearby Howard County but there was a nice looking Mauser HSc that had me piqued and I was starting the first day of a long overdue vacation/staycation so I had the time to kill. Walking to the display case the first thing I see is a last minute addition to the catalog, not found on the website listing. The auction tag was marked "T14" but I knew instantly what it was: a Modified 1902 Nambu, aka "Papa Nambu". Something most Japanese collectors dream of owning.
    -A quick inspection showed that the right grip panel was an arsenal replacement but that is not uncommon. For some reason I routinely see that side replaced on many Papas. The magazine didn't match, but again routine. The tangent rear sight was operational, important as they're on the fragile side. Finish was good with some loss and localized minor pitting. Again, most Papas were issued to Japanese Marines and lived a hard life. Those that are 85% or better are very rare and stupid expensive ($3K and up).
    -The only mystery was no Japanese Navy anchor stamp. Had me stumped as the finish was definitely original. But I bid away, getting it for a good price. Not sure if anyone else in the room knew what it was or what it was worth.
    -Delving into my Derby and Brown reference I found that it was a 1st Variation Private Purchase Papa, built by Tokyo Gas & Electric for sale to Japanese officers (who were required to pay for their own sidearms) or to gun shops, etc. So that explained the lack of a Navy anchor. With a SN in the low 400 range it was likely built in 1909, the first year of production at TGE. And as the Navy decided against issuing shoulder stocks, like on the earlier Model 1902 "Grandpa Nambu", the shoulder stock slot on the early TGE pistols was filled with soft metal. You can see the outlines of it in one of my photos. There have been some Papa Nambus found on the market with this metal removed to "restore" the shoulder stock slot. But only three Papas, all in the 8K SN range, have been documented to be delivered from the factory with the slot in place.

Attachments

• IMGP8454.JPG
      IMGP8454.JPG
      42.7 KB · Views: 444
    • IMGP8457.JPG
      IMGP8457.JPG
      63.5 KB · Views: 483
    • IMGP8462.JPG
      IMGP8462.JPG
      72.4 KB · Views: 475
    • IMGP8459.JPG
      IMGP8459.JPG
      43.9 KB · Views: 441
    • IMGP8461.JPG
      IMGP8461.JPG
      34.9 KB · Views: 490
    • IMGP8458.JPG
      IMGP8458.JPG
      45.1 KB · Views: 445
    • IMGP8463.JPG
      IMGP8463.JPG
      29.3 KB · Views: 434
    • IMGP8464.JPG
      IMGP8464.JPG
      76.4 KB · Views: 429
    • IMGP8466.JPG
      IMGP8466.JPG
      39.2 KB · Views: 440

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    You can see the SN on the left grip panel. No mark on the replacement right panel. Also check out the outline of the shoulder stock slot, factory filled when the Japanese Navy decided against issuing shoulder stocks. You'll only see this on early TGE pistols, never on the Tokyo Artillery Arsenal examples or later TGE.

Attachments

• IMGP8455.JPG
      IMGP8455.JPG
      46 KB · Views: 445
    • IMGP8456.JPG
      IMGP8456.JPG
      103.9 KB · Views: 416
    • IMGP8478.JPG
      IMGP8478.JPG
      40.5 KB · Views: 424

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The forward mounted grip safety, is unique. Only the Italian M1910 Glisenti has something similar though it also has a striker safety on the cocking knob. The Grandpa, Papa and Baby Nambus all only have the grip safety, nothing else, to secure the action.
    Production numbers of the Papa Nambu are very low, esp when compared to the P08 and 1911. TGE built only 5700 from 1909 to 1928 when the T14 was introduced. Tokyo Arsenal built even less: aprox. 4600 from 1906 to 1923 for a grand total of around 10,600. That's a tiny amount for over 20 yrs of production.
    The 8mm Nambu round was pretty weak by our standards. Very similar in performance to a 9mm Kurz round. The 7mm Nambu used in the Baby Nambu was even weaker with .32 ACP like performance.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't know anything about that firearms but anything of that vintage has to be a desired firearm. It looks amazing for when and where it was manufactured too.

Congrats!

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Glad it found a good home. I was there and started to bid on it but as I didn't get to look it over well I opted out. I knew it would go for more than I wanted to gamble on something I didn't get to inspect.

Congrats!

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    What auction is this? I’ve never been to an auction and would love to try one, especially since I live in HOCO

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom