Bank card getting compromised-Eldersburg establishments?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    My bank card has been hacked for the second time in the past couple months. Obviously new card last time and just cancelled that new one a few minutes ago.

Anyway, trying to play detective and figure out where they are getting it from. I have not been back to the places I suspected last time, so must be from a place I don't suspect.

The fraudulent charges are coming from a place called "Whoeasy.com". I have no idea who they are or how they are getting my info. They have been the guilty one on both compromisings.

My question...has anyone else been hit by this company, and if so, what establishment(s) do you suspect? Maybe we can narrow it down to a common place.

Most recent for me have been: Total Discount, Martins Gas (at the pump), Eldersburg Exxon (at the pump), and Shoppers. Also used yesterday at Rocky's Pizza in Cascade, MD.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Did you hand your card to anyone at anyplace you've been, restaurants included? That's typically the culprit, unless a business you normally visit has an ongoing hack they're not aware of.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    Gas pump might have a skimmer. I've seen videos of card skimmers on gas pumps and ATMs. If you bank online do check your security programs if up to date.

bwceng11

MDS Supporter
    Nov 26, 2012
    Towson
    Card

Any parking where you handed then your card. I agree with the restaurant and the gas pump skimmers also.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Make sure your PCs/Laptops/Tablets/Phones are not compromised.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Did you hand your card to anyone at anyplace you've been, restaurants included? That's typically the culprit, unless a business you normally visit has an ongoing hack they're not aware of.

Make sure your PCs/Laptops/Tablets/Phones are not compromised.

I appreciate the possibilities, but this particular card never leaves me. I almost exclusively use it for gas at the pump or my own bank's ATM. If I have to let someone take a card away from me to run the card, I have a different one for that. I also never use this particular one to do things online. Has to be some kind of skimmer somewhere. Heck, I even check for cameras when I use it.

If anyone has been hit by this "whoeasy.com" please shoot me a pm. Especially if it may have been compromised at an Eldersburg place.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Happened to me too last week. Wells Fargo is WAY more helpful than Bank Of America ever was. Pain in the ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Most recent for me have been: Total Discount, Martins Gas (at the pump), Eldersburg Exxon (at the pump), and Shoppers. Also used yesterday at Rocky's Pizza in Cascade, MD.

I use my card regularly at Martin's, Martin's gas, Shell (near Walmart), Walmart, Total Discount, Shoppers, and Oscar's; no suspicious activity here but I'll keep an eye out.

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    Mine was compromised a while back. I bought a video game at Gamestop for my son on my card, and that very night there were charges to an online video gaming website. Don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to solve that one. Called the bank and they weren't even interested in the info, they just reversed the charges on my account. That's why this stuff is rampant, apparently smaller charges aren't worth the trouble of pursuing the thieves, so it just continues.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I only use my card at Martin's at the gas pump. No issues. My wife works at Martin's and I let her know about this so they can be on the lookout.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if by bank card you mean debit card, not sure why anyone is using these and not credit cards. credit cards give pretty nice points, and if you pay them off each month (just like you immediately do with a debit card), there is no interest being charged. and from what i understand, getting fraudulent charges reversed is easier with credit than debit cards.

but certainly sorry for your loss and PITA of going thru this hassle.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    No, I had never heard of them until they hit my card, and now they hit my new one. Besides, who the hell gives card info to look up a number?

They may just use that site for probing if the card is still valid.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    if by bank card you mean debit card, not sure why anyone is using these and not credit cards. credit cards give pretty nice points, and if you pay them off each month (just like you immediately do with a debit card), there is no interest being charged. and from what i understand, getting fraudulent charges reversed is easier with credit than debit cards.

but certainly sorry for your loss and PITA of going thru this hassle.

Repeat this....debit cards are dangerous, credit cards are cautious.

When your debit card gets hacked. It's a direct link to your bank account. enjoy spending hours on the phone, with frozen accounts etc., when my credit card gets hacked.i get a call with this "have you been in Tijuana? Please confirm the last 3 charge's." I get a new card the next day and move on.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Try to avoid the use of debit card at all costs. Any fraudulent credit charges are almost guaranteed To be resolved without loosing a dime but not debit card. There's no need to play detective, with nowadays technology, unless you don't use it, if you do, you are exposed and there's chance your number got stolen. Just file it through your company, and get it done, i wouldn't waste my time on that.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I have never had a problem getting fraudulent stuff reversed on my debit card. They even caught the stuff before I did and shut down my card. The one charge that really got me was they joined one of the on-line dating services. Maybe that is how the bank caught it. Let's see, this guy has a joint account with his wife and he is paying for a dating service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom