• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    So I'm trying to find what it costs to just ride the trails with a single track, since I live close and don't need the camping experience of Garrett County.;)
    Oh BTW, my single track is already Maryland licensed and insured if that makes any difference.

I would call the DNR office if the link I put up doesn't describe the rates. I do know there are only 19 parking passes given out in one day ( because there are only 19 parking spots) but if you can legally ride to the trail then you don't need the parking pass.
    That "legally ride to the trail" sentence is what is killing me as far as renting out my cabins to trail riders. There is a 200 yard stretch between my place and the trail that is state owned. I'm not saying there isn't already a trail or two there, but it looks like now I would need "authorization" for cabin renters to use this trail.

Buff, I didn't know you were a fellow single track rider ! Maybe we should meet up and I will show you the best single track around.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I would call the DNR office if the link I put up doesn't describe the rates. I do know there are only 19 parking passes given out in one day ( because there are only 19 parking spots) but if you can legally ride to the trail then you don't need the parking pass.
    That "legally ride to the trail" sentence is what is killing me as far as renting out my cabins to trail riders. There is a 200 yard stretch between my place and the trail that is state owned. I'm not saying there isn't already a trail or two there, but it looks like now I would need "authorization" for cabin renters to use this trail.

Buff, I didn't know you were a fellow single track rider ! Maybe we should meet up and I will show you the best single track around.

I might just ride up to the office and talk with the nice ladies.

And as far as my single track riding, my reflexes aren't what they were many moons ago, but I still like to get it a whirl now and again.

I'll need to do some gearing changes also before I hit the trail, I'm currently running a little higher than stock gearing (16/43) for on road riding and I'd probably need to drop 2-3 teeth for the trail. But we should definately get together sometime.:thumbsup:

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    I might just ride up to the office and talk with the nice ladies.

And as far as my single track riding, my reflexes aren't what they were many moons ago, but I still like to get it a whirl now and again.

I'll need to do some gearing changes also before I hit the trail, I'm currently running a little higher than stock gearing (16/43) for on road riding and I'd probably need to drop 2-3 teeth for the trail. But we should definately get together sometime.:thumbsup:

What are you riding? I have a KTM 250xc for the trails and the occasional hare scramble. I ride a Yamaha Super Tenere on the road.:party29:

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    So I'm trying to find what it costs to just ride the trails with a single track.

$9 is shown on the guide for applying for a day permit.

Limit of 19 permits based on the parking lot limit; no limit for day permits without parking.

Maybe we could ride the motorcycles from a remote parking spot (like someone's house or a park-n-ride lot)

My KTM 450exc could use some Garrett County exercise. Not many miles of trails but every little bit is in the right direction. Single tracks are two-way.

4570inMD

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    $9 is shown on the guide for applying for a day permit.

Limit of 19 permits based on the parking lot limit; no limit for day permits without parking.

Maybe we could ride the motorcycles from a remote parking spot (like someone's house or a park-n-ride lot)

My KTM 450exc could use some Garrett County exercise. Not many miles of trails but every little bit is in the right direction. Single tracks are two-way.

4570inMD

I was looking at the site and I thought I saw a $10 yearly deal but I'm probably mistaken.
    And we need to stretch that 450 out some.;)

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure

4570inMD

I can not confirm or deny that there are a TON of other trails in the vicinity of the Finzel, Frostburg, Lonaconing area. I have heard "rumors" of a vast trail system that have been ridden for years. But this is probably all just rumor. :innocent0
    I have heard whispers of a roughly 12 mile single track trail loop in the Frostburg area that is totally gnarly and has been ridden by the natives for years and within "Walking" distance from my house.
    Maybe you guys can head up this way and we can go for a "Hike" and see if we can find it.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    ...we can go for a "Hike" and see if we can find it.

While going over my KTM this afternoon, my neighbor stopped by to say he will be selling his 2006 KTM 450exc soon. This would be a good bike for someone to join us on these Garrett county 'hikes'.

Also, there are a pair of Honda 230s about 10 miles away for someone looking for something a little gentler on these trails.

4570inMD

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    While going over my KTM this afternoon, my neighbor stopped by to say he will be selling his 2006 KTM 450exc soon. This would be a good bike for someone to join us on these Garrett county 'hikes'.

Also, there are a pair of Honda 230s about 10 miles away for someone looking for something a little gentler on these trails.

4570inMD

If you find out how much they are asking for them I'd like to know.:thumbsup:

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    hey guys, any updates on these (st johns) trails?

As a matter of fact there is. The State of Md acquired a large amount of land in the Kitzmiller area known as Wolfs Den which has been a private ATV riding area for years. After the usual bureaucratic red tape gets sorted out the plan is to open up this area for public use also.
    While I am usually not a big fan of the state buying private land, this property will add to the trail system available to the general public in the state.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    As a matter of fact there is.

thanks, that could be good.

how about the existing st johns trails, anyone have a general trail description? looks like about 12 miles total, is that right? how much single track, double track and basically dirt roads?

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    thanks, that could be good.

how about the existing st johns trails, anyone have a general trail description? looks like about 12 miles total, is that right? how much single track, double track and basically dirt roads?

This trail is literally in my backyard. I was invited to ride it the weekend it officially opened. It is roughly 8 miles of main trail ( one way) from St Johns Rock across Savage Mountain. However, there are a ton of "finger trails" that branch off this main trail. Some decent ATV trails and a good bit of single track for dirt bikes.
    I have raced hare scrambles for over 30 years now and I was impressed with how technical some of these single tracks were. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom