• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    8-0 on stun guns? That's a nice win on a SCOTUS we didn't think was terribly friendly to us now.

I myself don't think they are still, at least four of them. But when you think about it, stun guns are an easy giveaway even for liberals when you want to look "fair" at a critical point in time.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I myself don't think they are still, at least four of them. But when you think about it, stun guns are an easy giveaway even for liberals when you want to look "fair" at a critical point in time.

that's less important than the unanimous reaffirmation of Heller.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Just hot off the Supreme Court presses: A per curiam 8/0 summary reversal win in Caetano! This will bear on Kolbe.

I just did a quick read.

Sounds really good, especially this bit:

The court next asked whether stun guns are “dangerous
    per se at common law and unusual,” 470 Mass., at 781, 26
    N. E. 3d, at 694, in an attempt to apply one “important
    limitation on the right to keep and carry arms,” Heller,
    554 U. S., at 627; see ibid. (referring to “the historical
    tradition of prohibiting the carrying of ‘dangerous and
    unusual weapons’”). In so doing, the court concluded that
    stun guns are “unusual” because they are “a thoroughly
    modern invention.” 470 Mass., at 781, 26 N. E. 3d, at
    693–694. By equating “unusual” with “in common use at
    the time of the Second Amendment’s enactment,” the
    court’s second explanation is the same as the first; it is
    inconsistent with Heller for the same reason.

Because it contains some of the Court's thinking on what a "dangerous and unusual" weapon is or isn't, which has direct bearing on Kolbe.

However.... am I reading this wrong, or is this just a grant of certiorari? Though on a second and third reading it looks like the SC just vacated the Massachusetts court's ruling and remanded the case back to them for a second ruling that's not inconsistent with Supreme Court precedence.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Given that Heller is the "law of the land", how could the justices NOT rule against MA in this case. If one accepts Heller, then the decisions, IMO, would have to be 8-0.

The key to the leftists will be to invalidate Heller/McDonald at some point.

And yes, stun guns are probably a "no-brainer" to the leftist on the court.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    8-0 on stun guns? That's a nice win on a SCOTUS we didn't think was terribly friendly to us now.

It's really nice, but I read it as 8-0 on "hey, you lower court, pay attention to our rulings and interpret them correctly." I think they would have gone this direction on anything that was this much in direct contravention to Supreme Court precedence.

However, it's worth noting that the current decision in Kolbe is just as much in contravention to their precedence as this one is...

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I just did a quick read. Sounds really good, especially this bit: Because it contains some of the Court's thinking on what a "dangerous and unusual" weapon is or isn't, which has direct bearing on Kolbe. However.... am I reading this wrong, or is this just a grant of certiorari? Though on a second and third reading it looks like the SC just vacated the Massachusetts court's ruling and remanded the case back to them for a second ruling that's not inconsistent with Supreme Court precedence.

You're saying the same thing I saw on the scotusblog Twitter feed this morning.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Yes I understand. As a lay observer it just shocks me to see some of the dissenters in Heller sign on so readily to a decision so entirely, and one might even say enthusiastically, rooted in Heller.

Oh, it wasn't enthusiastically. As Alito says in his concurrence, it was "grudgingly." (slip op. at 10). But, that's ok.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I just did a quick read.

Sounds really good, especially this bit:

Because it contains some of the Court's thinking on what a "dangerous and unusual" weapon is or isn't, which has direct bearing on Kolbe.

However.... am I reading this wrong, or is this just a grant of certiorari? Though on a second and third reading it looks like the SC just vacated the Massachusetts court's ruling and remanded the case back to them for a second ruling that's not inconsistent with Supreme Court precedence.

Correct, it is a summary reversal.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter

that's less important than the unanimous reaffirmation of Heller.

Yes I understand. As a lay observer it just shocks me to see some of the dissenters in Heller sign on so readily to a decision so entirely, and one might even say enthusiastically, rooted in Heller.

Given that Heller is the "law of the land", how could the justices NOT rule against MA in this case. If one accepts Heller, then the decisions, IMO, would have to be 8-0.

The key to the leftists will be to invalidate Heller/McDonald at some point.

And yes, stun guns are probably a "no-brainer" to the leftist on the court.

Therefore even if the supremes want to vote anti 2A, they now reaffirmed Heller and McDonald for us... :party29:

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    By equating “unusual” with “in common use at
    the time of the Second Amendment’s enactment,”

This is the biggest problem with the decision. They are still considering the 2A to apply to arms from 1700's. IE they can consider modern firearms as unusual.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    This is the biggest problem with the decision. They are still considering the 2A to apply to arms from 1700's. IE they can consider modern firearms as unusual.

Not what the decision says.

"In so doing, the court (Referring to Massachusetts) concluded that stun guns are “unusual” because they are “a thoroughly modern invention.” 470 Mass., at 781, 26 N. E. 3d, at 693–694. By equating “unusual” with “in common use at the time of the Second Amendment’s enactment,” the court’s second explanation is the same as the first; it is inconsistent with Heller for the same reason."

morpate

Feb 18, 2016

It's not clear from your post whether "the decision" was the Mass Supreme Court decision or today's SCOTUS per curium, but to be clear, SCOTUS outright rejected that argument. Things not around in 1789 are not automatically unusual.

morpate

Feb 18, 2016
    So this means I can buy and have a Stun Gun in my car in Baltimore County and City?

No, it means that the Mass Supreme Court must reconsider its decision in the wake of the clarification provided by SCOTUS, and that a strike-down of Mass's ban is likely. For a local or state ban in MD to fall, either legislative action removing it has to happen, or a lawsuit challenging it has to be filed, argued, and won. Winning a lawsuit is now substantially easier given today's SCOTUS opinion.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Not what the decision says.

"In so doing, the court (Referring to Massachusetts) concluded that stun guns are “unusual” because they are “a thoroughly modern invention.” 470 Mass., at 781, 26 N. E. 3d, at 693–694. By equating “unusual” with “in common use at the time of the Second Amendment’s enactment,” the court’s second explanation is the same as the first; it is inconsistent with Heller for the same reason."

My bad. That was Massachusetts original ruling. Not the SCOTUS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom