• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I would just get used to it. :shrug:

If it is a bench gun, that’s what I’d do. If it was for hunting, HD (oh god) or something similar where you care about off hand shots or carrying it long distances your best bet is ditch the handguard and muzzle brake and good with lighter/shorter options. Adding weight for better balance is not what you want to do when you’ve gotta carry it or shoot it offhand. unless only shooting it off hand occasionally. Then some extra weight can help stabilize it. But it sucks if you need to shoot long strings trying to keep that 15lbs rifle steadied when your arms start shaking.

If it is only going to be used on a bipod or from bags, balance really isn’t that important (in the grand scheme of things) and spending money (who cares about weight for these) chasing good balance when used with bags or bipod seems silly.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I believe national match AR's still use weights in the A2 butt stock. See "DCM Rear Balance Wedge, 3.5 pounds" at this link:

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1375

Yup. A neighbor of mine has one setup for national match with lead in the butt. It is superbly balanced and awesome for off-hand shots. But it probably weighs 14lbs. Maybe more. Not what I’d want to carry anywhere. My 20” HBAR AR-15 is barely 9lbs with scope and the balance isn’t great, but it is 2/3rds the weight.

That said, I’ve got a fluted 20” HBAR Barrel waiting to go in the rifle one of these days to shave a few ounces and balance it better.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    With a heavier stock and the scope mounted it will shift more weight to the rear of the rifle.

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    White Oak Arms sells a weight that fits in the compartment of the UBR stock.
    I’m going to look into this thanks!

I should have been more clear to all. I am just a weekend warrior. I’m just a plinker. I’ll be shooting paper at DelMarva range on eastern shore. I’ll be sitting at the bench using bags and not a bipod. That’s all this gun is for.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I’m going to look into this thanks!

I should have been more clear to all. I am just a weekend warrior. I’m just a plinker. I’ll be shooting paper at DelMarva range on eastern shore. I’ll be sitting at the bench using bags and not a bipod. That’s all this gun is for.

In that case, a little nose heavy can help(I do like the PRS stocks for bench guns though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom