• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    So with all the fun going on recently, its time for me to get off my ass and put in the paperwork on one of my lowers to sbr it.

I know generally how it works. A form 3 (i think?) has to be filled out, stamp paid for, and wait until they wake up from their 8 month nap and stick the stamp on the paper, then mail it back. I know I have to have a minimum oal of 29" (going to be a 10.5" upper with standard lower)

I don't have a trust, i'd be doing this individually

I need to do the atf fingerprint card right and passport photo? Do i have to get the live scan finger printing?

Step by step, what do i have to have to do?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Form 1 if you're making it yourself. Form 4 if you're buying one already made.

As for the rest, I have quit NFAs since the big change a year and a half ago so I won't even try. Someone else should be along to help.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    SilencerShop has a Form 1 service which makes the entire process for an individual or trust easy to do. You just need to go to one of the local FFL kiosks and it takes care of the photo and fingerprint requirements. You can also pay for the stamp at the same time.

Details here: https://www.silencershop.com/atf-form-service.html
    This is the route I went with a form 1 trust. It took right around 6 months to get my stamp in the mail. I took that and my lower to Hanover Armory for engraving, and started ordering parts for and assembling my SBR once that was done (they engraved mine on the bottom of the receiver inside the trigger guard to the specifications of BATFE). Other people assemble everything into a pistol configuration first, then switch out the buffer and/or brace for a stock when they get their stamp. I didn't care to do that personally, but it makes sense if you want to get everything put together ahead of time.

For overall length, I used a 10.5" Rosco barrel, BCM ModO SOPMOD stock, and BCM A5 buffer tube/buffer spring/buffer. When I measured fully extended, it came out to about 29.3". Keep in mind that the longer buffer and larger butt stock would look funny if you're hoping for something a little more PDW-ish. I went with the larger buttstock because I wanted it to balance out the YHM Turbo suppressor I bought specifically for that SBR. Now that I have that back and mounted, the rifle is balanced, lightweight, quiet, and handles extraordinarily well. Love it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You can actually put a standard buffer tube on your 'pistol' while you wait for your stamp, but don't even think about going anywhere with an 'extra' stock in your possession. It will mean jail time if caught.

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    who has one of those silencer shop kiosks? Those look slick

Is there any notification for the cleo anymore? I remember doing that (and waiting a month....) on my last suppressor a few years back

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    who has one of those silencer shop kiosks? Those look slick

Is there any notification for the cleo anymore? I remember doing that (and waiting a month....) on my last suppressor a few years back

Last I checked, Engage Arm. had one. Not sure, but United Guns might too. They are both in Rockville and are both IPs here.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    You live in Marylandistan which requires 29" OAL for a SBR. Don't waste your time and money.
    Spend your tax stamp money on suppressors.

Sad state of affairs but the man speaks the truth.
    Arm brace tech is so good now that an sbr is almost a waste of time and money in MD

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You live in Maryland, which has minimum 29in OAL for Semiautomatic Centerfire rifles .

For Rimfires, or bolt, lever, single, pump , etc centerfires does not apply .

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Everyone has their opinion but for an AR15 in 5.56 at least, a 10.5" barrel is where defensive ammo starts to work quite well out to good distances and you get good projectile stability. Unless you're going for a PDW build with a super short overall length, you're basically going to be at 29" with most stock setups anyway. Braces are fine, but I prefer a buttstock. If I'm running a suppressed setup, I want a small vertical foregrip (can't do that with a pistol) to give me a very defined index point for my support hand, as well as the ability to shift my grip completely off the rail if it gets too hot. Maybe that's my military brainwashing kicking in, but that is why I went to the effort of SBRing a lower.

For firearms that are not an AR specifically chambered in 5.56, I will defer to the knowledge of others. There are so many other firearms out there, and I imagine that many of them aren't really worth the Maryland specific requirements to SBR them.

ETA: if you're not worried about my specific concerns, a pistol is a great way to go. Not knocking that option at all. I just wanted to provide specific circumstances where an SBR would be the preferred route. Pistol builds have many benefits but they aren't perfect, and in my case an SBR has worked out better.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    You live in Marylandistan which requires 29" OAL for a SBR. Don't waste your time and money.
    Spend your tax stamp money on suppressors.

Sad state of affairs but the man speaks the truth.
    Arm brace tech is so good now that an sbr is almost a waste of time and money in MD

:sad20: Nah, how can you say that with the MK18 being one of the more popular AR15 SBR builds out there?

I say build a MK18 Clone, it falls neatly into the 29" OAL restriction zone. Lot of options and variants to chose from, and you will have a pretty cool SBR when it's all said and done. Your MD restricted MK18 SBR will look/function just like any non restricted states MK18 (guaranteed).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Dreaming with a clean sheet of paper, and a 29in OAL parameter , ideal would be a * good * bullpup with a full length bbl . But alas bullpups generally are better in concept than reality.

Thinking outside the usual box , an SBR'ed T/C contender with buttstock and 10-14in bbl would be interesting and really short .

Back in the typical box , if an AR with 10.5-11.5in bbl trips your trigger , go for it . Only you can decide if the 4 inches or so are worth the Tax Stamp and Form 20's to you .

In the post '13 world , I'd be inclined for the slightly longer bbl and oem stock , than aftermarket stock with 10.5in , if only for longer gas dwell time , but that's just me . Luckily my stamped AR is grandfathered at sub 29in .

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    :sad20: Nah, how can you say that with the MK18 being one of the more popular AR15 SBR builds out there?

I say build a MK18 Clone, it falls neatly into the 29" OAL restriction zone. Lot of options and variants to chose from, and you will have a pretty cool SBR when it's all said and done. Your MD restricted MK18 SBR will look/function just like any non restricted states MK18 (guaranteed).

I guess take my comment with a grain of salt. I own 2 sbrs. One is a 10" barreled AK and the other is an ar15 lower that is still sitting in the box unbuilt....

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you're going form 1, those SilencerShop kiosks are phenomenal, and well worth the money. Now, let me pontificate about SBRs and OALs:

I think 10.5-11.5" AR-15s are still pretty relevant as SBR candidates. There are also a good number of AK pistols out there that are relatively easy to convert to useful SBRs. Where the OAL limit bites you the worst is on pistol-caliber stuff, IMHO... those are platforms where going very short makes sense.

Perma-pinning muzzle devices or suppressors makes sense in some cases to get over the OAL hump on SBRs, counter-intuitive as perma-pinning on an SBR sounds. I perma-pinned a 3-lug onto a 9mm PCC SBR to make OAL, and have been considering perma-pinning a suppressor to an X95 SBR someday. I would probably not perma-pin a suppressor if it was my only one, but it can make sense if you've got a bunch already and are more interested in the "host gun" than the suppressor per se. It's also a relatively easy choice if you're married to a particular popular suppressor mounting system like 3-lug, ASR, YHM, or KeyMo. Silver soldering a muzzle device is also not terribly difficult to do at home (paste + MAPP torch), and it's not hard to reverse (unlike drill-and-pin, it doesn't hurt the threads).

madmax7774

Nov 17, 2016
    Clarksburg
    Not to be difficult, but all the documentation I can find from MSP says the OAL length requirement is 26" not 29". So far I cannot locate anywhere in writing that backs up 29". Can anyone provide written documentation on the 29" requirement? I ask because I am interested in an SBR, but my project only comes to 27" and I am hopeful I can make it work...

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Document%20Downloads/LD-FRS-14-002%20-%20REVISED%20-%20Short%20Barreled%20Shotguns%20and%20Short%20Barreled%20Rifles.pdf

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Not to be difficult, but all the documentation I can find from MSP says the OAL length requirement is 26" not 29". So far I cannot locate anywhere in writing that backs up 29". Can anyone provide written documentation on the 29" requirement?
    Read Section III of the document you linked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom