• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Heys guys new to these things
    Am looking for stray dog protection.
    Have mace, have golf club, but have been thinking aboit a powerful air pistol. I just can not see crushing a dogs skull.
    Saw a video of a umerex mp40 shooting automatic and thought it was great.
    Would 450fps make a big dog stop and not want to continue. If so are there any auti or semi auto pistols that would do the job I would like it to do.
    Can you legally carry one of these without a license to carry in this stupid state

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Might have helped if you'd mentioned "air pistol" in the subject of your post. Otherwise it comes across as a "I'm a noob a want a machine gun" kinda thing. Atmospherics matter these days.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Heys guys new to these things
    Am looking for stray dog protection.
    Have mace, have golf club, but have been thinking aboit a powerful air pistol. I just can not see crushing a dogs skull.
    Saw a video of a umerex mp40 shooting automatic and thought it was great.
    Would 450fps make a big dog stop and not want to continue. If so are there any auti or semi auto pistols that would do the job I would like it to do.
    Can you legally carry one of these without a license to carry in this stupid state

I can't see needing to crush a skull to protect yourself from an aggressive dog... if you carry a golf club or walking stick, a good swat to any of the beefy parts (enough to produce a yelp) will probably make an aggressive dog back off.... now if he keeps coming.... do what you gotta do, but frankly if he is that enraged (or rabid) a pellet gun isn't going to deter an attack either. At least with the club you have the option to go big (i.e. swing for the fences) if you need to.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I have to agree with Doc, I don't see the need to crush a skull to protect yourself from an aggressive dog. It has been my experience it is much better to get yourself a nice hardwood walking stick. May yourself look large and be quite loud should make them stop in their tracks. If the approach then a good swat on any beef part with a loud shout should be enough. Most K-9s that are enraged (or rabid) will attempt to bite and grab the stick and not you as it is generally seen as an extensive of you. If you stick out your arm out the dog may go for that, it's kinda like feeding a police K-9 the rap.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I suppose my point is that Google and the rest of the world DO go to the home page, and all of the most recent-action threads are highlighted there. Which is why I always cringe when I see "I want a sniper rifle" or the like. Ouch.

But on topic: I agree that other than a clinically messed up (say, rabid, or otherwise neurologically really off) dog, any standard-issue aggressive dog should respond well to a swift kick in the ribs if you've got no other object with which to give 'em a wack. A really fight-minded, blood-lust kind of dog that's fired up by the neighbor's dog being in heat and one or two other factors can, though, be incredibly impervious to all but serious violence if they want a piece of your or your own dog. I've been on the receiving end of more than one off-lead aggressive dog, and they were like guided missiles incoming, all I had were feet and hands to deal with 'em. Still can't straighten out one finger from the bite I got through a knuckle when trying to pull some home boy's pit bull off of our sweet old Great Dane's neck. If I'd been carrying back then, I'd have shot that maniac dog for real. Generally? Pepper spray for the win.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    These bb guns look and feel very real. The one I bought recently does not have the orange tip. To an untrained eye, or from a distance, it is as real as it gets. If you are walking around YOUR property, fine. I would not CC or OC one of these anywhere else. You are asking for trouble or worse. Man with a gun call. LE will think it is a real firearm.
    Also, I think there is an ordinance against firing a BB gun in Baltimore Co.
    IANAL.
    All that said, it is a hoot to shoot.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    No! No! No!

Legally, you might as well carry a Glock 19, because most areas around here treat air guns as firearms. So if you're determined to get arrested, it might as well be for a real gun.

Get a Kimber Pepper Blaster. Or get two. (I often carry two in the City.) I carry mine in my back pocket, in a little pocket holster made for the Blaster.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5206519&postcount=42

You might also carry a stout walking stick. The classic Blunt Object is always a good choice in a melee.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    No! No! No!

Legally, you might as well carry a Glock 19, because most areas around here treat air guns as firearms. So if you're determined to get arrested, it might as well be for a real gun.

Get a Kimber Pepper Blaster. Or get two. (I often carry two in the City.) I carry mine in my back pocket, in a little pocket holster made for the Blaster.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5206519&postcount=42

You might also carry a stout walking stick. The classic Blunt Object is always a good choice in a melee.

I second the Kimber Pepper Blaster. Carry one on my walks. Just for dogs (and wayward indigenous two legged 'yutes if necessary).

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Most any pellet repeater will lack power to stop anything larger than a squirrel, but painful enough to get a dog that is putting on a threat display to change mindset to "fight" and attack, that is on top of legal issues. OC spray can help, but I would personally opt for a can where I can spray a stream ahead of a charging dog than try to hit a tiny target running at me within 2 shots from a pepper blaster. A walking stick is one of the better tools, you can use it to jab and keep distance, for leverage to pry apart 2 dogs, or a solid strike to the front legs can disable an attacking dog enough to get away. Don't bother striking at center mass, probably won't do much, and will allow it to get too close, striking at the head can work, especially the snout, but is a tough target to hit. Either way, if there are enough stray dogs to worry about, you would be really well served talking to a dog trainer for some advice on recognizing behavior, and reacting in a way to prevent an attack, standing your ground, avoiding eye contact, and not running away can keep you from taking a bite in the first place.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ....Most K-9s that are enraged (or rabid) will attempt to bite and grab the stick and not you as it is generally seen as an extensive of you....
    You're probably right that "most" will go for the stick, but I'd not make that wager. I have personally seen several dogs that will completely ignore any tool you are using and go for meat.

As Alucard0822 suggests, the front legs are the main vulnerability and most accessible to a defender with a good stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom