• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Anyone know what the part the flat tip screw is in called? Im trying to find the screw as mine is stripped out.
    acfa72b.jpg

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    That part is known as a bolster. Always thought it was appropriately named. Cuzz it does exactly what it's called.

Being threaded, 999 times out of a 1,000 it will have to be properly indexed/machined. So the nipple tip will line up right below the hammer face/cup.

If the bolster needs to be replaced due to stripped threads that is.

Are the screw threads metric or standard? It's always possible to re-drill and re-tap one size up.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Just tap it and re-thread the wash out screw to the major diameter of the metric screw thats in there. Use a hex screw and just make sure it does not interfere with the nipple.
    I have a CVA round ball rifle with the same bolster and in between the the nipple and the barrel side wall I drilled a tiny hole through the bolster at a forward angle that acts a vent.
    It prevents erratic ignition and promotes accuracy by not allowing the cap to compress the air before it reaches the main charge for more consistency.
    When I boil the barrel out after a day of shooting,I just remove the wash out screw when I dry the rifle out while its on the bench. ( water pumps through the bolster and nipple channel as well as the vent cleaning the bolster) The barrel steel is relatively soft and overworking the wash out can wear the threads over time.
    Removing and replacing the bolster can be a challenge sometimes. The threads are timed but more important is keeping the hammer strike centered in the nipple. The threaded parts need to be tight but not gorilla tight.
    Sometimes the bolsters are over-tightened during assembly in the soft barrel steel which is what makes the challenge.
    If you don't want to get all nuts and you know the bolster is kaput, find an allen screw that will thread and hand cut perpendicular grooves in it essentially creating a tap. Shorten and dress screw as necessary.
    If you choose to replace the bolster (right way) sometimes the threads inter-up the breech plug threads so be careful! This may not be the case but just a FYI.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Just tap it and re-thread the wash out screw to the major diameter of the metric screw thats in there. Use a hex screw and just make sure it does not interfere with the nipple.
    I have a CVA round ball rifle with the same bolster and in between the the nipple and the barrel side wall I drilled a tiny hole through the bolster at a forward angle that acts a vent.
    It prevents erratic ignition and promotes accuracy by not allowing the cap to compress the air before it reaches the main charge for more consistency.
    When I boil the barrel out after a day of shooting,I just remove the wash out screw when I dry the rifle out while its on the bench. ( water pumps through the bolster and nipple channel as well as the vent cleaning the bolster) The barrel steel is relatively soft and overworking the wash out can wear the threads over time.
    Removing and replacing the bolster can be a challenge sometimes. The threads are timed but more important is keeping the hammer strike centered in the nipple. The threaded parts need to be tight but not gorilla tight.
    Sometimes the bolsters are over-tightened during assembly in the soft barrel steel which is what makes the challenge.
    If you don't want to get all nuts and you know the bolster is kaput, find an allen screw that will thread and hand cut perpendicular grooves in it essentially creating a tap. Shorten and dress screw as necessary.
    If you choose to replace the bolster (right way) sometimes the threads inter-up the breech plug threads so be careful! This may not be the case but just a FYI.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    :thumbsup:

yeah, I should have clarified the drum is fine its the cleanout screw head that stripped. I cant unscrew it to take it off.:mad54: Thanks! I knew I could count on you guys to find the part!

Glad to try to help sir.

Rusted threads? A good extended Kroil soak and some taps with a brass hammer might help if there's enough slot left to get a hollow ground screwdriver tip deep into that buggered slot.

Always something, eh? :sad20: Good luck with it!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Glad to try to help sir.

Rusted threads? A good extended Kroil soak and some taps with a brass hammer might help if there's enough slot left to get a hollow ground screwdriver tip deep into that buggered slot.

Always something, eh? :sad20: Good luck with it!

well I bought it used and it was almost stripped out when I got it and after sitting a couple years I tried to take it off and only ended up taking of the screw head slot:sad20: So Im going to have to drill it and use an easy out tool to get it out, thats my hopes anyhow. I ordered the screw just now. so I'll see about taking it out soon.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Success! I had to use an Ez-out drilled a hole then slowly backed it out...it was rusted in thats why it wouldnt come out...I received my new cleanout screw today and its installed! Thanks to all who helped me figure out the nomenclature and tips! next time I will be lubing the cleanout screw as well!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Nipples, touch hole liners and clean-out screw always get a touch on Never-Seize after cleaning.

THIS!!!!!

same thing that is used on breech plugs for inlines. I have a stick of it that I use on my side locks and flint locks. Every time I clean one, I wipe off the old stuff and put on new stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom