• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Awesome! Looking forward to hearing how it works out! Keep us posted :party29:

Ran 220 rounds thru it today. No issues as far as the upper is concerned. No idea about accuracy as I don't have any eyes on it yet, but hey, it's a 22 which is only gonna be so accurate anyways.

The only problems I had were with the Black Dog 30 round mags. Serious issues with fte leaving several cartridges jammed in the action. Got better after the first 2 mags so maybe they just need worked a bit but spring tension seems pretty strong. Gonna see if there's a way to lighten them up or maybe just leave them loaded for a couple months and see if that helps.

Tried the two 50 round Black Dog drums last and had no issues.

Shot equal number of standard velocity Winchester M22 and Federal American Eagle LRN with no noticeable difference.

My biggest "issue" is that I can't use the binary trigger with it (which is why I bought the dang thing to begin with) since I'm really not interested in risking an out of battery detonation.

Bottom Line
    1) No issues with the upper. Would purchase without reservation.

2) Not happy with 30 round mags but should be able to tweak to work. Until I get them to work though I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND buying them.

3) 50 round drums performed perfectly. Wouldn't hesitate to purchase more.

gwoodburn

Feb 9, 2012
    Owings Mills, MD
    Ran 220 rounds thru it today. No issues as far as the upper is concerned. No idea about accuracy as I don't have any eyes on it yet, but hey, it's a 22 which is only gonna be so accurate anyways.

The only problems I had were with the Black Dog 30 round mags. Serious issues with fte leaving several cartridges jammed in the action. Got better after the first 2 mags so maybe they just need worked a bit but spring tension seems pretty strong. Gonna see if there's a way to lighten them up or maybe just leave them loaded for a couple months and see if that helps.

Tried the two 50 round Black Dog drums last and had no issues.

Shot equal number of standard velocity Winchester M22 and Federal American Eagle LRN with no noticeable difference.

My biggest "issue" is that I can't use the binary trigger with it (which is why I bought the dang thing to begin with) since I'm really not interested in risking an out of battery detonation.

Bottom Line
    1) No issues with the upper. Would purchase without reservation.

2) Not happy with 30 round mags but should be able to tweak to work. Until I get them to work though I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND buying them.

3) 50 round drums performed perfectly. Wouldn't hesitate to purchase more.

Thank you for the update and review. Glad to hear that you are liking your new 22lr upper. Looks like I will have to keep an eye on the PSA daily deals to see when they come back in stock.

Shame about the 30 rd mags, though. Hopefully, like you said, with some use they start working properly. Happy to hear about the 50 rd drum working well, although I wouldnt be looking forward to loading that thing up at the range.

Where did you get your mags?

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I wonder how this compares in accuracy the DPMS dedicated 22LR upper. I've had really good luck with my DPMS and I'm about to install the new Primary Arms 1-6 22LR optics on it. Once someone gets an idea about accuracy let us know.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Thank you for the update and review. Glad to hear that you are liking your new 22lr upper. Looks like I will have to keep an eye on the PSA daily deals to see when they come back in stock.

Shame about the 30 rd mags, though. Hopefully, like you said, with some use they start working properly. Happy to hear about the 50 rd drum working well, although I wouldnt be looking forward to loading that thing up at the range.

Where did you get your mags?

Actually loading the 50round drum is no big deal. It has a catch/slide on the side that you push/drop in a round/push/drop in a round. Works with minimal effort and loads quickly.

Got the 30 rounders from 44mag for $89 dlvd for 4, and the 50 round drums from Midway for $60 each

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Put another 220 rounds downrange today. 30 rounders performed flawlessly.
    Looks like the gun and the mags just needed a little breaking in.

Only issue was one ftf. Peeked inside and bullet wasn't fully seated so pushed the forward assist and BANG back to punching paper.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    Played around with it today at Freestate. Works with S &W MP15-22 mags. Works with the Franklin Binary trigger. I forgot to zero my red dot so I was adjusting based on POI. Had fun none the less.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Played around with it today at Freestate. Works with S &W MP15-22 mags. Works with the Franklin Binary trigger. I forgot to zero my red dot so I was adjusting based on POI. Had fun none the less.

For what it's worth you may want to check out this thread https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=215334

I too had it on a lower with the Franklin but only used it for single shots and for "slow" double taps

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    For what it's worth you may want to check out this thread https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=215334

I too had it on a lower with the Franklin but only used it for single shots and for "slow" double taps

On a safe note based on Clandestine's post, The risk is more on blowback ARs (9mm and 22lr). I did see a thread on OOB on Ciener kits although they were not using Binary trigger or the Fostech as this thread was back in 2007.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/15-333407/?page=2

Back on topic: the PSA 22 upper worked: single shots, controlled pairs, occasional mag dumps.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    On a safe note based on Clandestine's post, The risk is more on blowback ARs (9mm and 22lr). I did see a thread on OOB on Ciener kits although they were not using Binary trigger or the Fostech as this thread was back in 2007.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/15-333407/?page=2

Back on topic: the PSA 22 upper worked: single shots, controlled pairs, occasional mag dumps.

Now I'm confused again. This upper isn't a blowback ?

cknight814

Oct 27, 2017
    Good afternoon, I'm wondering if anyone with one of these Uppers can comment on it's accuracy abilities? I am in the market for setting up a really accurate 10/22 for 100-200 yard target shooting, mainly as practice for bigger bore long range shooting. But I was thinking if one of these free float Palmetto Uppers were accurate enough, I could put it on my varmint hunting AR & get the same practice of trigger feel out of my flat CMC trigger that's on that gun. Just curious what you guys have seen on the accuracy department. I'm not from Maryland (I live in Tennessee) but you guys are the only people I could find talking about these new uppers

gwoodburn

Feb 9, 2012
    Owings Mills, MD
    Just an update everyone... I noticed that the MLok 22lr dedicated uppers were back in stock and went ahead and ordered one last week. It came in yesterday and I wanted to share a few pics...

5766169300258321751.jpg

9039206288073768128.jpg

I will give a range report in a few weeks.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Thats a nice looking upper. I have a CMMG dedicated m4 style upper I bought back in the day when they were the only game in town besides the Ceiner conversion kits. Mine runs nice, but I have had the occasional OOB detonation. Usually when running a suppressor. Maybe it's the added back pressure, but 22's are pretty quiet suppressed so when you hear a bang it's quite a shock.

Enjoy the new upper.

gwoodburn

Feb 9, 2012
    Owings Mills, MD
    Any word yet on accuracy?

I finally got a chance to get out and do some shooting with the new 22 upper. I put 200 rds through it with one FTE on the 3rd shot and 3 instances of it not resetting the hammer. Besides that, it ran great and was super fun to do mag dumps with. As most of you know it has been bitterly cold and windy the past few weeks in Maryland so I'm sure it can shoot better than this. This is 25 shots at 50 yds with federal automatch in a 10-15 knot crosswind with standard Magpul BUS...

IMG_0009.jpg

Not too bad considering the conditions. I'm happy with it! :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom