• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhome3

Jan 3, 2016
    A lot of people on these forums seem to like to back Hogan up, despite having never received a promise that he will ever help Second Amendment rights here in Maryland. He has said so in the past that he won't reverse the notorious "Great Gun Ban of 2013". My question to you is: How is he any different than a democrat ? How is he even remotely worth voting for if paired against another Republican ? It seems to me that if he gets elected again it'll only be because he is the lesser of two evils. Full story in link, blurb below is edited.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...-tax-or-gun-law-this-year-20160107-story.html

"Hogan, a Republican, also ruled out any effort to scale back O'Malley's hotly-contested 2013 gun control law despite calls from conservatives in his party for him to launch what would almost certainly be a futile effort.

At the news conference, Hogan was asked whether he would act on a recommendation from a local official that he seek to undo O'Malley's gun law -- one of the most restrictive in the country.

But Hogan, who campaigned on a pledge to focus on economic issues, declined.

"It's not on our agenda," he said."

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Compared to a democrat?

Well, hopefully things won't get WORSE. That's something. With a democrat in office, pretty much anything the governor would want, he or she would get, and anything the GA would want, they'd get.

Rockfish

Feb 26, 2013
    I know it's frustrating but we are far better off with him than we would have been with Brown. He is probably he most conservative candidate that we could have gotten into office and I think despite his overall weakness on supporting the second amendment, he is doing an ok job overall. If we want to see real change in this state we need to operate more like the gun grabbers and lefties in that we need to make use of incrementalism. Restoring our gun rights here outside of the courts is a huge undertaking and you can only eat an elephant one bite at a time.

rob32

Jul 3, 2011
    salisbury, md
    I actually came here today to see what others in the community thought about this. I am no expert, but is there anything he can even do?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Hogan is in the news almost every single day. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-hogan-session-20160106-story.html

Thankfully, it's all about the things he did run on, specifically taxes, saving Maryland, and getting businesses to return to Maryland.

I know a lot of (real serious) Democrats that are liking him, or looking over him, because he is 'fixing' a lot of Marylands problems.

You are right in that Hogan didn't run on gun issues; but we knew if he won he wouldn't make our situation worse. And in retrospect, he's done a lot to help us and has been consistent that he's not doing it as a 'pro-gun' politician, but as an average citizen who happens to believe in due-process, and the Constitution.

rob32

Jul 3, 2011
    salisbury, md
    He can direct the head of MSP to start accepting self defense as a "good and substantial" reason to get a carry permit

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    I had assumed he would be capable of something along those lines. My guess is that he is unwilling to try anything like that right now with gun control being such a hot issue. He's obviously seeking re-election already. Unfortunate.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Never thought he'd be our savior. But I also had a good feeling he wouldn't make things worse. Sometimes that's all you can hope for this deep in enemy turf. I voted for him and if he stays this course I'll vote to put him back in.

Ironsighter

It's "Citizen," not "Civilian"
    May 10, 2011
    Down South
    I spoke with our local Rep, Deb Rey (R-St. Mary's), among others, about Hogan and his ability to do anything on the 2nd Amendment front.

People who think that because we have a Republican governor that we're going to get gun nirvana are seriously mistaken. The Democrats control both houses of the legislature by a veto-proof margin, so even if Hogan vetoes new legislation, they can still pass it. Unlike Barack, he can't issue executive orders or presidential memoranda to undo passed law (even if he was inclined to be a dictator, which he's not). He just can't.

He's a sophomore Republican Governor in a Democratically-controlled state. The Dems are looking for ANY wedge issue they can to make him a one-term governor (see also Erlich). He doesn't have the political capital to do ANYTHING for us on 2A issues. Stop expecting it. That doesn't make him a bad governor, especially considering what he's doing on taxation, which is the real tide on which he rode into office.

Finally, I'm tired of hearing the State Police Good & Substantial thing. The MSP takes their cues on the LAW from the Maryland Attorney General's office. Considering that fervent anti-gun zealot Brian Frosh occupies that office and has surrounded himself with like-minded minions, the MSP's hands are tied when it comes to interpretation of G&S law. Short of a favorable court outcome, there is nothing the Governor or Superintendent of the MSP can do.

That is the gist of my conversation with our delegate AND backed up by info from other reliable sources who know something of the law and legislature.

If you want to do something about it, get politically active, but don't expect Hogan to work miracles. You'll be waiting a long time.

srephwed

Jul 25, 2010
    harford county
    If he tried to undo gun laws it would be the kiss of death for his reelection. Brown said he was going to try and if he does they will be in I told ya so mode. He is the best thing Maryland has seen in quite a while. Give him a chance and work to change the legislature. That is our only hope. And don't forget to vote in November!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    He doesn't seem to be interested in getting re-elected.

Needs to take a page from the obama playbook. Rule 'with a phone and a pen'. While he can't change the great gun-ban of 2013, there are lots of things he CAN do by instructing his appointees.

Any changes he can make on the economy and regulation side are not going to affect peoples lives in time for the next election. His refusal to throw his base a bone on the 2nd amendment stuff is going cause just enough people to stay home for Frosh or VanHollen to become the next governor.

Quite disheartening.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Never thought he'd be our savior. But I also had a good feeling he wouldn't make things worse. Sometimes that's all you can hope for this deep in enemy turf. I voted for him and if he stays this course I'll vote to put him back in.

This.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    When 166 posts in the original "Hogan Quote" thread simply isn't enough.

That said.

He be mobetta than Brown.

The challenge will be keeping the GA from overriding all vetoes.

RonK

Oct 10, 2015
    Indian Head, MD
    Any changes he can make on the economy and regulation side are not going to affect peoples lives in time for the next election. His refusal to throw his base a bone on the 2nd amendment stuff is going cause just enough people to stay home for Frosh or VanHollen to become the next governor.

Quite disheartening.

Is that a condemnation of Hogan or 'his base'?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Is that a condemnation of Hogan or 'his base'?

Both.

Single issue voters will end up with a radical leftist administration and Hogan will be another one-term governor.

Look to the south. Those governors and AGs dont give a shit about abortion, yet they use every tool they have at their disposal to harass abortion providers. Health department inspections, suspending medicaid payments to unrelated programs, whatever they can do to show their base that they are 'doing something'. Their voters faithfully come out to the polls and get them back into office, not because they lower taxes but because they are 'saving babies'.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The alternative was a dopey Brown stooge. A literal highway to hell that would have meant me being long gone from MD by now. I'll take Hogan any day. If he simply holds the line, I consider it success considering our loopy GA and will gladly vote for him again.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    I like to back Hogan up. Two different subjects. One is fsa2013, the other is cc. Fsa2013, I have a small stack of paper next to my computer all the time that has the md senate and house members listed on them. I'm not sure what you expect Hogan to do with fsa2013, but if you have some realistic idea, send him a note. My suggestion to you is to support him and try and change the minds of the democrat members of the house and senate who voted for 281, and at the same time work for their 2a replacement because I don't think you are going to get far changing enough of the sitting lawmakers minds. A move to repeal 281 would be a giant waste of time and likely counter productive to other real agenda items that may have a chance.

CC, I think we are all trying for the same things and can make progress, but it seems we are not reading from the same playbook. If you don't think what is going on with the hprb is an organized strategy, that is your opinion. I don't have much choice but to let Hogan's office know what I support and let them take that into consideration. If the democrat contender would have won, i wouldn't even make the slightest effort to communicate with them.

If you don't like Hogan, who do you have in mind for next time? I know how about Heather Mizeur, or Frosh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom