AR Heavy Barrel, Lots of Chips, and Weight Loss.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It started life as a 24"bull barrel. Way too damn heavy and unwieldy.

So I decided to put it on a diet. Cut it down to 16-1/2". Still too front heavy.

The thirty eight 1/2" diameter holes removed 12 more ounces of weight. Now the barrel weighs 47 ounces and the rifle's center of balance is right under the front pivot pin.

With the addition of a Harris BR bipod, it should make a fine bench rifle.

Bull Barrel Holes 001.JPG

Bull Barrel Holes 002.JPG

Bull Barrel Holes 005.JPG

Bull Barrel Holes 009.JPG

Bull Barrel Holes 016.JPG

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Nice work. Really went to town on that thing!
    What was the original barrel weight, about 6lb?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm wondering if you experience any POI shift from the original zero or if you'll have to rework your loads due in part to change in resonance. Can you update us?

Nice work, by the way.:thumbsup:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Pro - 78 ounces or 4.87 pounds.

Mike - Thanks for the kind words.

Vin - Over 3 hours of mind numbing drilling, cleaning, and repositioning. A mill would have made it easier.

Out - Will do. I'm curious how it shoots too.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I think the job looks good, especially with the limited range of the equipment you used. I can see some inconsistencies in the dimple spacing

Whats the wall thickness at the deepest point in relation to the bore? You have to be careful you don't get too thin.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I think the job looks good, especially with the limited range of the equipment you used. I can see some inconsistencies in the dimple spacing

Whats the wall thickness at the deepest point in relation to the bore? You have to be careful you don't get too thin.

I would say.070-.080

Blowing out a hole would be the very definition of OH $HIT!

And there are most definitely inconsistencies.

My calibrated eyeball could only questimate at how thing were lining up.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    From basic barrel calculations, should be a minimum of .150 wall thickness just to meet .223's pressure spec ahead of the chamber(with a .224 groove diameter), the thinnest .625" lightweight barrels. still have a .200" wall thickness, if yours is really under .100", you will probably get hurt if you fire it, probably anyone else in proximity too, it's scrap metal. Chalk it up to a couple hundred $s worth of experience that luckily didn't send someone to the hospital.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It's .080 at the very bottom part of the hole. The drill bit has a lot of taper in the cutting edge. From the tip of the bit to the outside edge of the drill diameter is .165

.080 + .165 = .245. So the hole wall thickness runs from.080 to .245 along the taper. And the holes are nowhere near the chamber. So no concerns there.

Not to dash anyone's thoughts of utter failure and destruction, but I shot it today and it worked fine. No holes opened up. And I still have all of my digits.

I can't speak for those around me though. As I was wearing hearing protection. And couldn't hear their screams had something happened. :)

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    As mentioned earlier, here are some accuracy results just to get an idea of what the gun likes. 50 yards. 7 power scope.

I was beginning to worry until I loaded up some PMC Bronze. For those who think ammo is ammo is ammo. It ain't. Most firearms like a particular cartridge.

That shot gun pattern in the center is Federal XM193. The stuff in the green ammo cans. With 30 rounds per cardboard box loaded on stripper clips.

The American Eagle comes in second place.

Lightned Barrel 001.JPG

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Steel has a lot of inconsistent internal stresses even in a quality barrel. When manufacturers remove metal from a barrel, they'll often takes steps like cryo-treating it to reduce how these stressed have been changed. Steel is also prone to have intense localized stresses at angular points that can lead to failure over time. It's why knight's fluting is hemispherical and other fluting has a nice radius on it. It's also why ejection port cutouts need radius'd corners and the origins of cracks need to be drilled to stop them from propagating. I can't see how sharp that point in the center is, but hopefully it's not too angular with how thin the wall is there.

I'm interested with the metal removed what happens when it heats up/cools down. My guess based on how internal stresses have been changed is that it would warp and change POI, losing true. Do you have any runout gauges to see if the barrel has warped one way and/or another?

I'm thinking a good way to go if you want a lightweight barrel is this guy...
    http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/11562/20639

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    As mentioned earlier, here are some accuracy results just to get an idea of what the gun likes. 50 yards. 7 power scope.

I was beginning to worry until I loaded up some PMC Bronze. For those who think ammo is ammo is ammo. It ain't. Most firearms like a particular cartridge.

That shot gun pattern in the center is Federal XM193. The stuff in the green ammo cans. With 30 rounds per cardboard box loaded on stripper clips.

The American Eagle comes in second place.

View attachment 164660
    That's 50 yards?! Dang homie, that barrel's jacked.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I don't think the barrel is trashed at all.

As for heating up and warping, we'll see when I take it out next the time and shoot it cold.

I am completely happy with the PMC and will buy more of it.

I am not happy with a gritty 5-1/2 pound military trigger and shooting off a sandbag. Not conducive to accurate shooting.

Ya'll have fun busting balls. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom