• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peaceful John

May 31, 2011
    Fourth Circuit Finds That Carrying a Firearm in an Open-Carry State Does Not Create Reasonable Suspicion and Provides Thorough Analysis of the "Free to Leave" Standard of Seizure

http://www.fedagent.com/columns/cas...ysis-of-the-free-to-leave-standard-of-seizure

Nathaniel Black was part of a group of men in Charlotte, North Carolina who local police officers suspected might be engaged in criminal activity. In particular, Officers suspected that after seeing one of the men openly carrying a firearm - which was legal in North Carolina – that there was most likely another firearm present. When police began frisking the men one by one, Mr. Black wished to leave, but was told he was not free to leave. Officers chased Mr. Black and discovered that he possessed a firearm; it was later discovered that he was a previously convicted felon. Mr. Black was charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm. Before the United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina, Mr. Black moved to suppress the evidence against him. His suppression motion was denied, he entered a guilty plea preserving a right to appeal the denial of the suppression motion, and he was sentenced to fifteen (15) years imprisonment. The United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, however, determined that the officers had improperly seized Mr. Black, suppressed the evidence against him, and vacated his sentence.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Fourth Circuit Finds That Carrying a Firearm in an Open-Carry State Does Not Create Reasonable Suspicion and Provides Thorough Analysis of the "Free to Leave" Standard of Seizure

http://www.fedagent.com/columns/cas...ysis-of-the-free-to-leave-standard-of-seizure

Nathaniel Black was part of a group of men in Charlotte, North Carolina who local police officers suspected might be engaged in criminal activity. In particular, Officers suspected that after seeing one of the men openly carrying a firearm - which was legal in North Carolina – that there was most likely another firearm present. When police began frisking the men one by one, Mr. Black wished to leave, but was told he was not free to leave. Officers chased Mr. Black and discovered that he possessed a firearm; it was later discovered that he was a previously convicted felon. Mr. Black was charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm. Before the United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina, Mr. Black moved to suppress the evidence against him. His suppression motion was denied, he entered a guilty plea preserving a right to appeal the denial of the suppression motion, and he was sentenced to fifteen (15) years imprisonment. The United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, however, determined that the officers had improperly seized Mr. Black, suppressed the evidence against him, and vacated his sentence.

Thanks for posting this.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    This was posted earlier too, I believe. Some say it's a sorta-split with Wollard, but it helps our chances regardless.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I said "sorta" split. Lol.

Somebody had a really good post about it that i can't find at the moment. I'll link to it if i find it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The ruling was about unwarranted search, not 2A ... nothing to do with Woolard. No split, no help to us at all.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Making a connection is a stretch ... this is about carrying in a state where it is legal and would have never made it to appeal if he was carrying in Maryland.

Legal in NC =not reasonable cause
    Not legal in MD=just cause go strait to jail.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    IMO if you serve the time for the crime all your rights under the Constitution should be restored.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Making a connection is a stretch ... this is about carrying in a state where it is legal and would have never made it to appeal if he was carrying in Maryland.

Legal in NC =not reasonable cause
    Not legal in MD=just cause go strait to jail.

This would impact open carry of long guns though, by my reading. Now, the only question is who has the balls?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    IMO if you serve the time for the crime all your rights under the Constitution should be restored.

That's why we have 2 classes of crimes ... for misdemeanors, that is supposed to be true. Commit a crime of a higher level and loose rights. At what level should there be a difference? No level?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    This is interesting, because the judges in Woollard ruled that "man with a gun" calls would place an undue burden on police officers.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not sure if Greg meant to say what I'm taking from his post. The AG's throwaway line about people w/ permits confusing police was well down in importance in the 4th Circut's deliberations if they paid any attention at all. However , once carry IS establish , Black will go a long way to shut down routine harrasment.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    That's why we have 2 classes of crimes ... for misdemeanors, that is supposed to be true. Commit a crime of a higher level and loose rights. At what level should there be a difference? No level?

No level, but the punishment should be strict. Rob a bank with a gun, get 15-20 years no parole. Get released and you have rights restored. Commit another crime with a gun, you get life without parole.

The primary reason you hear for people being against the above idea is the cost of housing prisoners. We need to reform the jails so that it's truly hell to be locked up no matter the reason, thus deterring crime in the first place. Under the current system, you have people who would rather be in jail than on the streets. Something is wrong there.

Jails should also have a means to make money and pay for expenses. If it were up to me, prisoners would only be given bare necessities for life: A cell with a window, a mat to sleep on, required nutrients from bland food, water, means to shower, a toilet, and that's it. Solitary for 23 hours a day. They'd have the option of taking up a job within the facility for 8 hours through which privileges can be purchased, such as better food, electricity for the cell, etc. This would effectively teach responsibility and work ethic to those who didn't learn it in the normal world. Those diagnosed with severe mental health problems would be sent to a mental health facility with less severe conditions.

Once you satisfy your time, all rights are restored. If you're stupid enough to commit a similar crime again, you're a danger to the rest of society, and should be punished accordingly.

This idea that you can limit someone's right to self-defense for life due to a stupid mistake is really a cause for concern.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    I see the potential for a lot of butt hurt the next time an open carrying video shows up on MDS.

:popcorn:

I already pointed this out to a few folk but they dismissed my argument because I don't have experience being a police officer or in court.

mdshooter9090

Jan 29, 2013
    I just want to say that sometimes guys like this man and the 2 Business Owners that were dealing Cocaine and had a GPS attached to their Truck/Car illegally by the Police help freedom - as crazy as it sounds.

Same goes for Rev. Phelps, even though some of you may not like it.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Black should have helped Woollard, but it didn't. What it does do is prove the 4A is much better protected than the 2A, and will protect against OC harassment(where OC is legal).

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    No level, but the punishment should be strict. Rob a bank with a gun, get 15-20 years no parole. Get released and you have rights restored. Commit another crime with a gun, you get life without parole.

The primary reason you hear for people being against the above idea is the cost of housing prisoners. We need to reform the jails so that it's truly hell to be locked up no matter the reason, thus deterring crime in the first place. Under the current system, you have people who would rather be in jail than on the streets. Something is wrong there.

Jails should also have a means to make money and pay for expenses. If it were up to me, prisoners would only be given bare necessities for life: A cell with a window, a mat to sleep on, required nutrients from bland food, water, means to shower, a toilet, and that's it. Solitary for 23 hours a day. They'd have the option of taking up a job within the facility for 8 hours through which privileges can be purchased, such as better food, electricity for the cell, etc. This would effectively teach responsibility and work ethic to those who didn't learn it in the normal world. Those diagnosed with severe mental health problems would be sent to a mental health facility with less severe conditions.

Once you satisfy your time, all rights are restored. If you're stupid enough to commit a similar crime again, you're a danger to the rest of society, and should be punished accordingly.

This idea that you can limit someone's right to self-defense for life due to a stupid mistake is really a cause for concern.

This is what logically follows your argument: there is no level where the threat of punishment should deter a crime and no monsters on the street that should be without guns.

Here is a contradiction within your opinion ... parole boards release some inmates BECAUSE the law will not allow them to carry and be under other constitutional restrictions; association etc. Under your scheme, there can be no parole ... everyone would have to serve the max and jails would be even more crowded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom