• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...tness-protection-programs-20151209-story.html

The measure would set aside $150 million in federal grants to establish the programs. Witness intimidation has long been an issue in the Baltimore City judicial system.

That is over $425,000 per murder in Bodymore.

Or, we could allow people their constitutional rights. Much cheaper. And no risk of running out of other peoples money.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    And how about taking that $150 million to increase police salaries and hire more officers so we can get the bad guys off the freaking street!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    No that's actually a great idea!! Witness programs are currently a JOKE!!! Its nothing like what you see on TV. The way it will be implemented is going to end up being a joke though.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    My 2 cents is that all money to Bodymore should be quid pro quo: They can have money if they fix their government, and recognize people's constitutional rights.

Bodymore already wasted $20 mil on the riots, and $10 mil on F** free garbage cans, and a couple mil in misc sh** like speed cameras, and wants to spend another $2.5 mil on outside counsel for the DOJ probe. Yes, $10 million of free *** garbage cans. I kid you not. http://www.abc2news.com/news/region/baltimore-city/baltimore-mayor-spends-10m-for-new-trash-cans

I love the mayor's line about how it wont cost city residents a thing.

They would have a lot of money if they were not busy wasting it on stupid crap.

So, no more money until they reform.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Honestly with some of these gangs, carrying wouldn't be enough. These gangs don't come at you one on one, they come at you in groups, from cars, laying in wait.

I'm all for carry, and I think it would help, but some of these big time gangs, you just gotta get the person far away.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Honestly with some of these gangs, carrying wouldn't be enough. These gangs don't come at you one on one, they come at you in groups, from cars, laying in wait.

I'm all for carry, and I think it would help, but some of these big time gangs, you just gotta get the person far away.

No..you need to setup a counter assault and take care of business..

A gang is a paramilitary organization engaging in a act of insurrection. Take care of business or allow the insurrection to destroy the rule of law and destabilize your government.

Its that simple. As many failed states have discovered.

I bet we join them.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    No..you need to setup a counter assault and take care of business..

A gang is a paramilitary organization engaging in a act of insurrection. Take care of business or allow the insurrection to destroy the rule of law and destabilize your government.

Its that simple. As many failed states have discovered.

I bet we join them.

I think you are too late. See: Baltimore.

This is probably illegal...you cannot coerce or bribe someone to testify against another person. I don't want my tax dollars going for this...What they need to do is force Judges to actually put criminals in prison and allow law abiding citizens to carry to defend themselves...(yeah I know there are a LOT of prohibited people living in Baltimore...sucks to be them)

porscheguy

Jul 30, 2012
    And how about taking that $150 million to increase police salaries and hire more officers so we can get the bad guys off the freaking street!
    The money would be better spent building a wall around Baltimore. So many of their residents seem to enjoy confinement anyway.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    This is probably illegal...you cannot coerce or bribe someone to testify against another person. I don't want my tax dollars going for this...What they need to do is force Judges to actually put criminals in prison and allow law abiding citizens to carry to defend themselves...(yeah I know there are a LOT of prohibited people living in Baltimore...sucks to be them)

Can't put them in prison if you can't convict them because the witnesses refuse to testify.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Even if the feds get involved and put someone into witness protection, something like 60% blow their cover and return to the hood they came from.

MS13 built a presence in NoVa in the early 2000s. At some point, the feds got the 18 year old girlfriend of one of the big-wigs to testify against him. They shipped her off to Minnesota to keep her alive. She got bored, started to call her old homeys and returned to NoVa. Some of her jailed boyfriends buddies took her on a fishing trip, you know to get her mind off the stressful situation..... She didn't know that she was going to be turned into bait.

It's seemingly only the mafiosi who make good use of witness protection.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Even if the feds get involved and put someone into witness protection, something like 60% blow their cover and return to the hood they came from.

MS13 built a presence in NoVa in the early 2000s. At some point, the feds got the 18 year old girlfriend of one of the big-wigs to testify against him. They shipped her off to Minnesota to keep her alive. She got bored, started to call her old homeys and returned to NoVa. Some of her jailed boyfriends buddies took her on a fishing trip, you know to get her mind off the stressful situation..... She didn't know that she was going to be turned into bait.

(the late) Henry Hill might disagree. :D

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County

you can't fix stupid....

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    the only true way to reduce the power and prevalence of the gangs is to hit them in their money. the gangs make ridiculous amounts of money. if you can cut the revenue streams they will lose their power over time. we know what business they run in, we need to disrupt their markets. they have no competition other than other gangs (thus the violence) for moving drugs, people (prostitutes, street thugs, mules etc), illegal arms, money laundering, "protection". they also run legitimate businesses, usually businesses in the local sector.

if we (as a society) can cut their profits in half, we will remove their stranglehold on lower class neighborhoods. This is the failure of the war on drugs, because it has driven the price up significantly of the drugs, and the demand of drugs is pretty constant, and the users will pay whatever they are charged for their fix. if the price of drugs was reduced to the point where it wasn't as rewarding, you would have less incentive for new member recruiting, less incentive to kill and die for your "family".

making 50k+ a week tax free is a hell of an incentive to shoot up the block and peddle the shit to the addicts.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    the only true way to reduce the power and prevalence of the gangs is to hit them in their money. the gangs make ridiculous amounts of money. if you can cut the revenue streams they will lose their power over time. we know what business they run in, we need to disrupt their markets. they have no competition other than other gangs (thus the violence) for moving drugs, people (prostitutes, street thugs, mules etc), illegal arms, money laundering, "protection". they also run legitimate businesses, usually businesses in the local sector.

if we (as a society) can cut their profits in half, we will remove their stranglehold on lower class neighborhoods. This is the failure of the war on drugs, because it has driven the price up significantly of the drugs, and the demand of drugs is pretty constant, and the users will pay whatever they are charged for their fix. if the price of drugs was reduced to the point where it wasn't as rewarding, you would have less incentive for new member recruiting, less incentive to kill and die for your "family".

making 50k+ a week tax free is a hell of an incentive to shoot up the block and peddle the shit to the addicts.

*****50k+ a week is not much money if it has to be split up amongst 250 people peddling the drugs or whatever. This is why most drug dealers and peddlers of this stuff live with their mom or grandma, have crappy guns, and have no dental insurance for their grills, nor dividend producing mutual funds. ;)

The guys at the very top might be making money, but the mid-level and street level thug (yes, I said thug/entrepreneur) make less than you might think. There's a lot of research out on this and few drug dealers are living the high life - most make a bit more than minimum wage but at far greater risk of imprisonment, injury, death, etc...

I grew up in a bad neighborhood (Langley Park..) with gangs, and drug dealers and a few of them had a nice blinged out car and some nice outfits, but no real wealth to speak of. Admittedly, they did have lots of girlfriends, baby mommas', and uhh... horizontally accessible women around. I had to pretty much wait for any of that, until I got into college and out of it with a marketable skill...:)

I don't have any answers, other than building more prisons and making sure people in them serve their entire sentence, with hard labor, and no conjugal visits, cable TV, and that death sentences are carried out swiftly, and without the ridiculous appeals process that allows folks on death row to basically die of old age versus ole' Sparky, the needle, or firing squad. I do NOT want to mention hanging, lynching, or stringing up a convicted death row inmate as a means of death due to the obvious and reprehensible racist connotations associated with such said activity, even if the person is not a minority, endangered species, or contributor to global warming by means of exhalation of CO2. :rolleyes:

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The guys at the very top might be making money, but the mid-level and street level thug (yes, I said thug/entrepreneur) make less than you might think. There's a lot of research out on this and few drug dealers are living the high life - most make a bit more than minimum wage but at far greater risk of imprisonment, injury, death, etc...

I can only shake my head when I hear the trope about how all those young men have the option of making 'easy money selling drugs' vs. a working a 'minimum wage job'. It usually comes from do-gooders who dont understand the accounting concept of 'cost of goods sold' and 'overhead'. A street level dealer may sell hundreds worth of dope every day, but after bailbondsman installments, lawyers fees and cost of merchandise to his wholesaler, his take-home is quite limited and he would probably be better off working for tips at the Chesecake factory. If drug dealing was so profitable, the dealers would only work 10 days in Baltimore and spend the rest of the month on their yacht in Fort Lauderdale.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    *****50k+ a week is not much money if it has to be split up amongst 250 people peddling the drugs or whatever. This is why most drug dealers and peddlers of this stuff live with their mom or grandma, have crappy guns, and have no dental insurance for their grills, nor dividend producing mutual funds. ;)

I grew up in a bad neighborhood (Langley Park..) with gangs, and drug dealers and a few of them had a nice blinged out car and some nice outfits, but no real wealth to speak of. Admittedly, they did have lots of girlfriends, baby mommas', and uhh... horizontally accessible women around. I had to pretty much wait for any of that, until I got into college and out of it with a marketable skill...:)

I don't have any answers, other than building more prisons and making sure people in them serve their entire sentence, with hard labor, and no conjugal visits, cable TV, and that death sentences are carried out swiftly, and without the ridiculous appeals process that allows folks on death row to basically die of old age versus ole' Sparky, the needle, or firing squad. I do NOT want to mention hanging, lynching, or stringing up a convicted death row inmate as a means of death due to the obvious and reprehensible racist connotations associated with such said activity, even if the person is not a minority, endangered species, or contributor to global warming by means of exhalation of CO2. :rolleyes:

I can only shake my head when I hear the trope about how all those young men have the option of making 'easy money selling drugs' vs. a working a 'minimum wage job'. It usually comes from do-gooders who dont understand the accounting concept of 'cost of goods sold' and 'overhead'. A street level dealer may sell hundreds worth of dope every day, but after bailbondsman installments, lawyers fees and cost of merchandise to his wholesaler, his take-home is quite limited and he would probably be better off working for tips at the Chesecake factory. If drug dealing was so profitable, the dealers would only work 10 days in Baltimore and spend the rest of the month on their yacht in Fort Lauderdale.

Excellent discussion. I agree.

Watch this, it will help you to help others:

https://www.ted.com/talks/steven_levitt_analyzes_crack_economics?language=en

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom