• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Im looking at some Aero Precision complete uppers and their BCGs to update a few old lowers. The rifles would be used mostly as just fun plinkers, but God forbid the need arise, pressed into a home defense role too. Are they a quality company? Most the info I seem to find is circa 2013. How is their QPQ finish compared to parkerized and chrome lined barrels? Their BCG seem to have all the important specs. Does anyone have current experience with Aero? Thanks in advance!

Algot

Feb 13, 2017
    Frederick
    I have recently purchased an Aero Precision receiver set. Although the build is not complete, quality, fit and finish look very good.
    Also, Primary Arms has some great sales going on this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    They are an OEM. Uppers, lowers and float tubes are good stuff; nice and tight. Upper receiver tends to be snug on the barrel extension fit, which is good. Bed it anyway.

Wait for a sale. Schuyler Arms has good deals now, over the holiday. Almost good enough to make me build an AR-10.

That said, I'd grab a Toolcraft BCG instead of theirs. One weird one was enough to convince me, especially since it was not a bargain. Thought I'd be GTG, but nooooooo. Go Toolcraft instead. JoeBob's will hook you up and the price will be good.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    let me preface this by saying i by no means an expert nor a hard user of their products. i also don't have nearly enough rounds through it to warrant a detailed report but i built an AR almost exclusively from their builder kit and parts kits and had no problems getting it together or having it function for my needs at the range - plinking. seems like quality equipment to me and good people when i had issues with my order. i forgot to add a code for a discount at check out and while they could not retroactively credit me, they gave me a credit on my account which i used on a follow up purchase.

i would recommend them but i would also listen to others above me with more experience, especially for uses other than very sporadic plinking

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Aero Enhanced upper is also a really easy way of building a gun - no gas tube alignment drama on the upper receiver side.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    IIRC, Brownells had an order in at Aero when Sandy Hook occurred. Aero cancelled Brownells order, leaving Brownells' customers high and dry. Aero instead sold the lowers during the post-Sandy Hook panic at inflated prices. Not a fan of that business practice. Should have delivered to Brownells per their order, not pulled the plug.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    IIRC, Brownells had an order in at Aero when Sandy Hook occurred. Aero cancelled Brownells order, leaving Brownells' customers high and dry. Aero instead sold the lowers during the post-Sandy Hook panic at inflated prices. Not a fan of that business practice. Should have delivered to Brownells per their order, not pulled the plug.

I assume when he asked if they were GTG he was concerned about quality and not that Brownells was selling items they don't have in stock.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Thanks again for all the input guys. I went a head and ordered a complete upper with BCG and charging handle. I went with something out of the ordinary for me. All my ARs are either government profile or hbar. This time I actually purchased a pencil profile for a lighter weight rebuild on a pre-ban lower. I also ended up going with the Aero BCG just because the toolcraft BCG wasn't available from the place I ordered the upper. I hope this yields a nice build for the money. Worst case scenario, it needs a trip to Clandestine. :-)

Last edited:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Aero stuff is good and their blemished stuff is bargain. Just be careful, standard ejection port covers are GTG ejection port covers that are polymer and modeled after Strike Industries may not.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Almost two months after I placed the order I finally received my upper! This enhanced M4E1 upper was worth the wait. Looks to be very well made to my untrained eye. Finish is very nice. Can't wait to get out and try it.... along with my other 2 builds I have yet to shoot! Here's the list of parts used if anyone is interested.

Aero Precision M4E1 Enhanced upper, Gen 2 mlok rail, pencil barrel, standard charging handle, A2 flash hider, and BCG.
    Spikes lower receiver, receiver extension kit, and LPK.
    MFT minimalist stock
    BCM Mod 1 grip and trigger guard
    Grovtec QD mounts
    Magpul MS1 sling
    Troy fixed battle sights

All of it including a 30rd Pmag weighed in at 6lb 15oz.

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Almost two months after I placed the order I finally received my upper! This enhanced M4E1 upper was worth the wait. Looks to be very well made to my untrained eye. Finish is very nice. Can't wait to get out and try it.... along with my other 2 builds I have yet to shoot! Here's the list of parts used if anyone is interested.

Aero Precision M4E1 Enhanced upper, Gen 2 mlok rail, pencil barrel, standard charging handle, A2 flash hider, and BCG.
    Spikes lower receiver, receiver extension kit, and LPK.
    MFT minimalist stock
    BCM Mod 1 grip and trigger guard
    Grovtec QD mounts
    Magpul MS1 sling
    Troy fixed battle sights

All of it including a 30rd Pmag weighed in at 6lb 15oz.

After building a Aero M5, for a family friend, with the Aero handguard, I won't be buying/using the Aero M5 handguard ever again. It just doesn't feel right in the hands for some reason.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Which one did you have? The Atlas or the Enhanced Gen 2? Mine is the Gen 2 for the M4E1 and I love that thing!
    Gen 2. Oh and timing the gas tube through one of the 4 slots on the barrel nut was a bitch. I had to get an extra shim pack, so I could get the correct torque value on the barrel nut. I was so fed up with it I asked a fellow member/ friend to help me with it. It is also bulky and just doesn't feel or look like it is worth the price tag. Never again will I use a Aero gen 2 hand guard.

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-enhanced-keymod-handguards-gen2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom