• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That is correct

That is how Saint Mary's and Calvert got reduced.

Yeah. This year I’ll probably put something together and contact the Howard County delegation. See if they’ll lower it to something like 100yds from the ground and 50 from a stand or something like that.

Doesn’t do me a whole lot of good on my property. But I have friends who that could benefit and you never know. My next move is likely to either be way far away out of state, or at least out of this county when my kids are done with school. But you never know. At least it’ll be to a larger property, even if it stays in this county

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A buddy of mine had a pic on his trail camera of the buck I harvested in muzzleloader season. Before and after.

Congrats on a fine deer!

I shot a buck last year as it stood in front of my trail cam. I took a picture just after the shot as the deer reacted. It was a blurry image and I didn't keep it. :o

Unfortunately, the deer was not the one I thought it was(big 8 point I missed when my arrow deflected off a wee branch) and turned out to be beautiful 2 year old. I was pissed at myself. He was delicious though.:innocent0

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    I've actually gotten out on public land more than usual this year and I've been skunked. I missed an opportunity with my bow just before firearms season on a thick 6pointer. That's the only deer I've seen :(

I also used to have a good herd that passed through the woods out back, but now according to the cam, they're only over night. Ugh. Can't catch a break this year.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Finally made it happen tonight just before legal light was over.

This has been hands down my worst deer season since i was bumbling through the woods in high school pretending to hunt.

I’ve been after the large does that we have on camera so i can take them to the butcher shop for bologna and hot dogs, but one thing always leads to another and i cant get a shot off. Tonight a small doe came in and i double lunged it at about 25 yards. Its small enough that its going to be processed into several dinners worth of steaks and chops.

I’m actually a fan of late season hunting so i will keep on trying for one of those big does To take to the butcher shop :thumbsup:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am tentatively going out after work Thursday. I am hoping there is still some snow left on the ground to help me position my stand. Hope something comes back along that way. Mostly I figure it’s where I took a spike last year and where my neighbor has taken a couple of deer in a fairly narrow valley.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I had a great season this year. I do not bow hunt so it is over for me. Keep at it guys.

I have something to look forward to next year.... coming down the road looking into the property last night I saw a big buck I did not see this year anywhere. He was standing with 5-7 does feeding. I’ll be seeing him next October when early ML comes back in.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    This really sums up my season as well.

Two years in a row for me not seeing a single deer the entire season on the family property. To add insult to injury, some POS stole my two month old trail camera sometime in the past two weeks as I figured out on Sunday when I went to go pull it for the season. I've had a camera on that tree for 7 years but it was in a lockbox until I got this new one in November. The lock broke about two years ago and wouldn't latch so it wasn't even locked. The new camera didn't fit in the lockbox so I just hung it on the tree thinking it was fine. Apparently not. I guess I need to put a lock on my stand too. What kind of worthless degenerate steals someone's trail camera off of private property?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah. This year I’ll probably put something together and contact the Howard County delegation. See if they’ll lower it to something like 100yds from the ground and 50 from a stand or something like that.

Doesn’t do me a whole lot of good on my property. But I have friends who that could benefit and you never know. My next move is likely to either be way far away out of state, or at least out of this county when my kids are done with school. But you never know. At least it’ll be to a larger property, even if it stays in this county

Let me know if you do this and I will help you draft some language that we can propose that they change the local ordinance to.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Let me know if you do this and I will help you draft some language that we can propose that they change the local ordinance to.

Will do!

My current view. I saw two big does up the pipeline at about 270yds as I hiked in, but headed towards the neighborhood. Not towards me

Attachments

• 83F245FD-66C4-43D6-B60F-38DC0D8C0B8E.jpg
      83F245FD-66C4-43D6-B60F-38DC0D8C0B8E.jpg
      156.9 KB · Views: 405

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And no luck. Ran in to another Hunter in the parking lot. He could see a couple from his stand, but they wouldn’t come up to him. Stayed 100yds out till they wandered away.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Am i the only one that sat in a stand for 2 1/2 hours during the windy 18 degree temps?

I shot a small doe late in the afternoon, but my shot was a little far back and i hit the liver. I had great blood trail then the deer closed off the valve and the blood stopped. I’m sure its dead and close by, but i couldnt find it. My friend is going out tomorrow in the am to see if he can find it. Hopefully he gets to it before the foxes do.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Good job Brian. Liver shot is fatal just takes longer. At least it's cold enough. You'll find it. I've been out quite a bit, have a buck tag left and I'm seeing deer just half racks and some that are shed. I've got a few more days and next opportunity I will take a doe. No shed heads for me. One 10 point that had split eye guards I hit in the liver as he was dogging a doe. Anyway my brother came and looked and said let's wait. 3 hours later we blood trailed it and found it 75 yards before it went out on golf course.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anyone else out today?

Yes and no. I was out looking at a potential new house. 5 acres, mostly wooded and most of it in the back (long and skinny at the front, wider at the back of the lot). Walked out the back around 100yds back and bumped 3 big does and a yearling right by the creek that runs through the back yard.

Could be good deer hunting back there. Problem is my current house needs a fair amount before I can out it on the market. Would be close to a straight trade in terms of property values, except that one has 5 acres and at least a couple of them are far enough back to be huntable for bow.

Dang it.

Closest I am coming to deer hunting till next year :innocent0

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Busted a 95lb doe on Tuesday, so that's my season. That's 3 deer that won't be on my property next year, and I'm a little guilty about that, but I really wanted more bologna.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Congrats Doc and Dave. I ended up with a nice doe late Saturday. Got her in one of thickest nastiest green briar patch you’ve ever seen. My beagles won’t even go in. I keep a narrow path cut and like this spot late season. Biggest problem is it sucks getting them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom