• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    My understanding is as amended these prohibit loans to someone if you know they are not allowed to possess a firearm, is that correct?
    MSRPA and MSI still list them as oppose ...

https://www.msrpa.org/2019-maryland-general-assembly-bill-tracker/
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/legislation-tracker/164-msi-2019-gun-legislation-tracker

As I read the legislation (unless I missed the redaction), it still reads that you have to transfer a firearm that you want to lend to anyone (unless always in your presence) through an FFL.

Despite the burden (both time and expense), a recipient could decide to keep the firearm, and I'm not sure what one's recourse is. Is it considered stolen or would you have needed to prepare a contract for return (which also needs to go through an FFL)?

As was brought up in testimony, what of family members that share a safe and an owner of some of the firearms leaves home with the other remaining home?

I'm thinking that the don't sell to prohibited persons bill modification was to the even more odious LQL legislation which was thankfully gutted.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    MSRPA and MSI still list them as oppose ...

https://www.msrpa.org/2019-maryland-general-assembly-bill-tracker/
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/legislation-tracker/164-msi-2019-gun-legislation-tracker

As I read the legislation (unless I missed the redaction), it still reads that you have to transfer a firearm that you want to lend to anyone (unless always in your presence) through an FFL.

Despite the burden (both time and expense), a recipient could decide to keep the firearm, and I'm not sure what one's recourse is. Is it considered stolen or would you have needed to prepare a contract for return (which also needs to go through an FFL)?

As was brought up in testimony, what of family members that share a safe and an owner of some of the firearms leaves home with the other remaining home?

I'm thinking that the don't sell to prohibited persons bill modification was to the even more odious LQL legislation which was thankfully gutted.

I don't see anything that requires private sales through an ffl (currently looking at hb96). I think this is the current version. http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2019RS/bills/hb/hb0096t.pdf

It appears to only prohibit any form of transfer between a person and someone who you know is underage (with exceptions, probably family and such) or has some disqualifying history or intends to use it commit a crime. So it looks to me like hb96 doesn't really do anything. Am i reading this wrong?

Edit: sb346 appears basically the same. http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2019RS/bills/sb/sb0346t.pdf

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I don't see anything that requires private sales through an ffl (currently looking at hb96). I think this is the current version. http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2019RS/bills/hb/hb0096t.pdf

It appears to only prohibit any form of transfer between a person and someone who you know is underage (with exceptions, probably family and such) or has some disqualifying history or intends to use it commit a crime. So it looks to me like hb96 doesn't really do anything. Am i reading this wrong?

Edit: sb346 appears basically the same. http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2019RS/bills/sb/sb0346t.pdf
    Thanks. The one that I read (followed the link from the MSRPA page under "Bill Title" which must have been the original proposed legislation) didn't have all of part A/page 2 stricken.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    All HB0096 does is state the obvious in law that a firearm should not be loaned or transferred by person or dealer to someone that is known by them to be a prohibited person or is known to be intending to use it in a criminal way.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Thanks. The one that I read (followed the link from the MSRPA page) didn't have all of page 2 stricken.

Yeah, so with the possible exception of the underage part messing things up with peoples children, I'm not sure what the exceptions there are, it appears that these bills are a non-issue. I don't see prohibiting me giving/selling/loaning a firearm to someone who I KNOW is prohibited to be a problem. Thoughts?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If the current legislation (HB96 and SB346) only prohibit transfers to known prohibited persons, MSRPA, MSI, and MD 2A probably don't oppose and simply haven't updated webpages.

Eta: take that back. MSRPA has no position on SB346 (although still lists HB96 as oppose)

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    If the current legislation (HB96 and SB346) only prohibit transfers to known prohibited persons, MSRPA, MSI, and MD 2A probably don't oppose and simply haven't updated webpages.

Eta: take that back. MSRPA has no position on SB346 (although still lists HB96 as oppose)

Can't discuss in detail right now (time and work limitations) - there are significant wording differences between the amended versions of the bills moved in the House of Delegates - hence the differing stances on the MSRPA front.

cryptoman

Dec 27, 2011
    My preference would be to become a nice spicy pot of chili. Keep me in the family - at least for a day or so.
    Please don't bury me
    Down in that cold cold ground
    No, I'd druther have "em" cut me up
    And pass me all around
    Throw my brain in a hurricane
    And the blind can have my eyes
    And the deaf can take both of my ears
    If they don't mind the size
    Give my stomach to Milwaukee
    If they run out of beer
    Put my socks in a cedar box
    Just get "em" out of here
    Venus de Milo can have my arms
    Look out! I've got your nose
    Sell my heart to the junkman
    And give my love to Rose

Give my feet to the footloose
    Careless, fancy free
    Give my knees to the needy
    Don't pull that stuff on me
    Hand me down my walking cane
    It's a sin to tell a lie
    Send my mouth way down south
    And kiss my ass goodbye

- John Prine

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    so far as a current recap.

Hbar bill = likely dead?

lgql = dead?

transfer bill = harmless and spells out current law?

80 % lower law = ?

those were the big 4 this year, right?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    SB737/HB786 LGQL/NCIS Check: Is in play right now. SB737 was amended in committee today, but we've not seen the amendments. Prior to amendments, SB737 had the LGQL. Even if the LGQL ends up being gone from both versions of this proposed legislation, the remaining crud in them is a big middle finger to law-abiding gun owners.

SB1000/HB1343 HPRB repeal: passed second read in House today.

SB882/HB740 3D/Home-made: Still no movement out of Senate Judicial Proceedings committee.

HB612 HBAR: Still no movement out of House Judiciary committee.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    so far as a current recap.

Hbar bill = likely dead?

lgql = dead?

transfer bill = harmless and spells out current law?

80 % lower law = ?

those were the big 4 this year, right?
    Someone alerted me that background checks on secondary sales of long guns is still very alive. Don't know the bill numbers.

Eta: my phone hadn't loaded PowPow's post when I responded ...

SB737/HB786 LGQL/NCIS Check: Is in play right now. SB737 was amended in committee today, but we've not seen the amendments. Prior to amendments, SB737 had the LGQL. Even if the LGQL ends up being gone from both versions of this proposed legislation, the remaining crud in them is a big middle finger to law-abiding gun owners.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

SB1000/HB1343 HPRB repeal: passed second read in House today.

SB882/HB740 3D/Home-made: Still no movement out of Senate Judicial Proceedings committee.

HB612 HBAR: Still no movement out of House Judiciary committee.

What does SB737/HB786 look like right now? My biggest issue with them when they came out of committee is that the exceptions for a "transfer" were not broad enough. Anybody have the most current bills with amendments?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    What does SB737/HB786 look like right now? My biggest issue with them when they came out of committee is that the exceptions for a "transfer" were not broad enough. Anybody have the most current bills with amendments?

The Senate will be taking both of them up on the floor tomorrow (4/5). The amendments to SB737 have not been posted yet. HB0786 is the same as was passed on third reader two weeks ago.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    So other than HB786/SB737, is anything else up on the agenda for Monday? I'm assuming they're not working on the weekend. With Tuesday being Sine Die, wondering how much they can get through in terms of antigun legislation, especially with HB786/SB737 still being reconciled between both chambers. Perhaps it will be their final gun control legislation for the session (no additional safe storage laws, no HBAR ban, etc). Didn't see any pictures of late on Friday, and if the MDA members persisted.

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    SB346 (loans) has had a conference committee appointed, so that one seems likely to pass.

It's much less problematic in it's current form though.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I haven't heard anything yet. I am still hoping they don't get 786/737 reconciled in time. I am tentatively okay with UBC. I'd feel a lot better with a NICS system average citizens can access. That or mandating maximum fees that an FFL can charge for facilitating a transaction and/or allowing MSP to do it for a $10 charge (no, not proposing that the FFL fee cap should be $10).

As one or two have said, only law abiding citizens will follow it. Well that's the point, law abiding sellers, which I assume just about all of us are would follow it and it would make it harder for criminals and prohibited people to get guns. Is it going to do much? Probably not as police statistics seem to say almost all guns being used in crime in Maryland are straw purchased or stolen. The few guns I've sold F2F the guys all seemed reputable (1 was an FFL01 and one was an FFL03 even), but I can't PROVE that they were. I know that I am not prohibited when it comes to the guns I've bought F2F.

I'll be honest part of it is I want a carve out. There was one for C&R holders, but that looks like ALL carve outs were removed from the bill. I suspect this is in part because the bill changed transfer to buy/sell. But I have bad news for the MGA, the only exception on an FFL dealer being required to facilitate the sale is for FFL dealers.

Really bad news, FFL MANUFACTURERS aren't dealers. So if I am reading the text correctly, an FFL dealer will have to facilitate the sale and a NICS check will need to be conducted. So what happens here if an FFL manufacturer sells directly to a police department? Because my reading of the text says and FFL-01 would HAVE to facilitate the transaction...

Or if for some reason a manufacturer was buying firearms from another manufacturer.

Just saying, there just should be a blanket exception for FFLs. And yes, it is partly because I am an FFL-03 and pissed this means there apparently will be zero exceptions for me. There were under the original text. Wondering how this'll work with out of state transfers. I assume MD can't do or say a thing about that and transfers in to the state would also possibly be okay. The regulated firearm thing is at least as stringent and MD AG opinion is that FFL-03 can have qualifying C&R firearms shipped to them, even though in-state transfers have to be done through a regulated firearm dealer or the MSP.

If you are going through all of the extra hoops for an FFL-03, it should mean something. MGA seemed to sort of be recognizing that, and now they aren't.

I do think it raises the question, now that transfer is out, and loan language is in as well and all of those limitations on where and when a firearm can be temporarily transferred or loaned or whatever, I guess that means for many you can transfer a long gun, so long as it isn't a sale.

Whole thing, like Fabs said elsewhere still seems very rushed and very poorly written.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well, not a solution. Looking more closely at the text, the exception to licensees (an FFL who holds a dealers license according to the bill text) looks like it would actually cover and FFL-03 who purchased a C&R firearm from an FFL-01 and had it shipped in state. Because the FFL-01 is excepted from the requirements of the bill, they would not be required to conduct a NICS check UNLESS federal law/regulation required it and federal law/regulation does not require an FFL-03 to undergo a NICS check.

So I am still annoyed as hell about the bill and how it is written, but it seems like it would preserve the ability to have an FFL-03 have a C&R long gun shipped to them from out of state, but only if an FFL-01 was selling it. Which also limits things. Though unsure if federal law would still cover things in that case and an FFL-03 could in general conduct a sale/purchase across state lines (while standing in Maryland) if the buyer/seller was not an FFL-01.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Another question, I am looking at MGA leg calendar and it says that June 1st is the earliest a bill can go in to effect except for emergency bills, July 1 is when the budget bill goes in to effect and October 1 is the usual effective date for bills.

So how do we know when a bill will go in to effect? Or do we not know until it is passed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom