• ...and so much more!
  • Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Demonetization of Youtube

Update:

Ammoland : Are YouTube Restrictions Targeted on Conservative and Gun Channels?

Link

Last edited:

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Don't worry...they will move. T will take some time but there are solutions.

Crowder also mentioned that many conservative channels are being demonetized too. Mention Muslim terrorism...poof! Argue that there are only two genders? Your channel will not appear in search results.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ6kRJPpgfk

May 19, 2016
    Youtube will not let $750 million just disappear. They will find out a way to fix it. However, the rainbow after the storm is that people are diversifying their income. Hopefully they will not destroy smaller channels before they figure it out.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    THis may be a good thing. I'd love to see a pro 2A competitor to YouTube. Same goes for PayPal. I'd totally invest in something to compete with them, too.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    What's the revenue lost?

I'm torn between is it really censorship, and folks that are turning a hobby into a lucrative endeavor and are now complaining the gravy train ended. Actually are now turning to patreon and the larger channels will prob make even more money, 200k subscribers, each donating $1 a month.....

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    What's the revenue lost?

I'm torn between is it really censorship, and folks that are turning a hobby into a lucrative endeavor and are now complaining the gravy train ended. Actually are now turning to patreon and the larger channels will prob make even more money, 200k subscribers, each donating $1 a month.....

If the implementation was even-handed I would have the same questions. This is straight up censorship. Both by YouTube and the advertisers.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    What's the revenue lost?

I don't see why it matters that they make money. YouTube's whole purpose is to make money. Money for Google and money for creators.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    If the implementation was even-handed I would have the same questions. This is straight up censorship. Both by YouTube and the advertisers.

It is censorship but it's also private property that Google can run how they see fit. As a libertarian leaning conservative I do err on the side of private property rights. This isn't even a limited resource like the public airwaves. The Internet is basically unlimited so anyone can set up a video sharing service.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    But it's not censorship. They are still free to post videos just like every other person

I completely disagree, having a revenue source taken away based on political correctness or political ideology is censorship. Creating an unlevel playing field to silence a particular group of people is censorship. When YouTube videos are demonetized they no longer trend, they don't show up in search results, they don't move to the front page, therefore less people see them, that is censorship. That's like saying blacks shouldn't have been upset about having to ride in the back of the bus because they were free to ride the bus.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    youtube is cracking down big time on any videos that contain anything that could be deemed innaporpriate for children. they changed the age restrictions, and essentially anything that isn't deemed by google to be rated PG can no longer be monetized. if you click on the link to the rules https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2802167?hl=en they list the following areas as things that make content not appropriate for all ages.

Vulgar language
    Violence and disturbing imagery
    Nudity and sexually suggestive content
    Portrayal of harmful or dangerous activities

bolding is mine. this is the same policy that had a bunch of the transgender community up in arms about censorship. you talk about sex, or swear, or show suggestive imagry your video is restricted. shooting firearms are almost always considered a dangerous activity unless done in the safest of manner. basically you can't have a minor doing anything dangerous, or as google says,

"In the interest of protecting minors, we may age-restrict videos containing adults participating in activities that have a high risk of injury or death." https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2801964

so that leaves them the option to age restrict every video containing shooting of firearms. I would have 0 problem with youtube doing this if they changed the revenue instead of removing it. also, it isnt' hard for someone to flag your video as age restricted and thus removing it from advertising.

i guarantee there are pleanty of companies (trojan, budweiser, weed dispensary chains, liquor companies etc) that would love the opportunity to advertise to a mature audience only on youtube. yet, in googles infinite wisdom, they want to make their advertising exclusively family friendly. sadly the BIG demographic is the generation after the milenials (they exist, and they are going to be the biggest generation ever in america) and they want the P&Gs and general mills of the world putting the advertising money to youtube.

now, this not only impacts firearms videos, this impacts videos of all of the top youtubers, and some of which all of their videos. I personally think this is a critical error on googles part, as it wouldn't be hard for someone else (say yahoo??? hello, you still exist) to make a video environment that functions like youtube but isn't afraid of advertising to adults. I think google is setting their ecosystem up in a way has advertizing deals with big companies to cross advertize with youtube AND their new TV service. i thnk the TV service and the age restriction of monitization for videos are related in some way. i imagine it might be a tough sell for advertizing Tide laundry detergent on youtube TV when they have monitized videos about making the gender transition, or being raped, or blowing things up.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    It is censorship but it's also private property that Google can run how they see fit. As a libertarian leaning conservative I do err on the side of private property rights. This isn't even a limited resource like the public airwaves. The Internet is basically unlimited so anyone can set up a video sharing service.

It is not censorship, it is a business decision on Google's part. Governments censor, businesses make business decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alderleet

Always, Sometimes.
    Sep 25, 2013
    AA
    Its all because Pewdiepie made a joke, and the cultural marxists who own all of the media got really asshurt about it.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    The reality is this is affecting everyone across Youtube and doesn't appear to be specifically targeting the gun industry.
    What it does do is promote self-censorship where content creators and producers may change their content to conform out of fear of lost income. Some use Youtube as a primary source of income but this applies to other areas of the media industry (writers, actors, producers, studios, etc...) How long do you think a New York Times writer would stay employed after attempting to write a slightly positive Trump article?

Even Full30 is beholden to its advertisers because someone has to pay for servers and bandwidth.

There are new options on the horizon to decentralize the content delivery and for content creators to make money on their own terms but it will take time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom