• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am thinking about ONE LAST :rolleyes: CMP Garand and am looking at the "Expert Grade" offerings. I have questions about Garands chambered in 308. Specifically, does the 308 chambering hurt their collectability? Another question, are 308 Garands any better shooting than one chambered in 30-06? Better being recoil, accuracy, barrel longevity, etc. What's the downside (if any) of the 308 Garand?

Busa

Jul 22, 2012
    So. MD
    I have an Arlington Ordnance Tanker Garand in 308 and it is one of my favorites. Accurate and light recoil, fun to shoot and never jams. I have shot 30-06 full size Garands in competition and I think the 308 would compare favorably. In time, anything sold by CMP will be collectable in its own niche, you can't go wrong.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Theirs a lot of variables that could could affect the accuracy part so I think it would be hard to differentiate by caliber only.
    For instance you could switch a stock between one or the other and see a marked improvement just through a component swap.
    For any chambered in 308 and collectable I wouldn't worry about it unless it was a Navy model with chamber insert or something like that for which one would do better to leave alone.
    If I wanted to shoot a Garand these days I would strongly consider one in 308 just for the purposes of ammunition availability.
    I also think for some of the expert grades and appearance/ substitution of parts to make then available I wouldn't worry about that either.
    They're meant to be used and enjoyed with sales used to bolster the Cmp's mission not accommodate parts re-sellers or thumb nosing snobs who hardly ever shoot because their worried about how dark the park is or what type of oil was rubbed into the stock in 1943.
    As long as the rear sight and stock lockup is good I would be happy but I'm not that hard to please when it comes to a Garand anyway just because I like them.

I'm thinking of getting another one myself just because I can although I think they may be getting backed up on orders already.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I have a non-CMP 7.62x51 Garand (Breda) and love it. Ammunition availability is better and I love that I can use that old surplus NATO ammo in it. The days of cheap and plentiful HXP are over. The recoil and blast are less (but still enough to make it fun to shoot). You have me thinking about an Expert Grade as well…

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Collectability? No serious Garand collector would be interested in a Garand with a commercial 308 barrel on it (or the same in 30-06). That said, you are likely confusing "collectability" with "desirability." LOTS of shooters want Garands in 308 Winchester and there will always be a market for it. You are certainly not buying an oddball or future orphan.

Accuracy? It depends on the individual rifle. Any given 308 Garand won't be more or less accurate than any given '06 version. As others have said, lots of parts and other factors. At the end of the day, its a Garand so if you want the ultimate in accuracy, look elsewhere.

My perception is that the recoil on my 308 Garand is softer, but that is from a sample of one fired with light bullets.

Some want 308 Garands because of ammo availability. I reload and have a lifetime supply of 1X USGI '06 brass so its a wash for me. I can load either will equal ease.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Oh darn. I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a .308 M1 Garand if and when they become available. At $50 more than my other M1 it is incredibly tempting.

I've been telling my wife we need to start downsizing though. This is going to be gnawing at me the rest of the day, I'm sure.

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Since the Expert grade is a civilian reworked M1 with a commercial barrel, no one cares about the collector value anyway as far as caliber goes. How the caliber affects the value will depend on whether it’s a caliber desirable to shooters.

Military 7.62 Garands like the Navy and Italian conversions are quite desirable to collectors.

An advantage of a .308 Garand with a new barrel is that .308 barrels typically come in 1:12 twist, which is generally better for the .30 cal bullets commonly used.

If you ever want to compete with the M1, .308 will put you into the Unlimited category in JCG. It is not allowed in As Issued.

The 7.62/.308 Garands seem to eject brass further though, which is expected for the lower mass.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    My 308 has an op rod marked 7.62MM/ on an H&R receiver.
    Bolt is SA and barrel is SA with a date of 11/62 TS
    Would that state it was Navy?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    My 308 has an op rod marked 7.62MM/ on an H&R receiver.
    Bolt is SA and barrel is SA with a date of 11/62 TS
    Would that state it was Navy?

Does the op rod say “7.62mm/2?” Those op rods were cut down by the Italians to their Tipo 2 length. The Tipo 2 involved cutting the back of the barrel to rechamber it to 7.62 and shortening all other necessary parts. Are your stock and handguard normal length or slightly shortened?

Tipo 2 parts kits used to be very cheap, so there are lots of builds with them. A few places were also splicing the op rods back to regular length with mixed results.

What are the other barrel markings? I think I’ve seen 60s dated US barrels on Italian conversions before.

US Navy MK 2 MOD 0 rifles were .30/06 barrels converted by a chamber sleeve, but they were marked 7.62 on the chamber along with the contractor that did it. The MK 2 MOD 1 rifles had new made 7.62 barrels all made by SA in 1965 and 1966, so your 1962 barrel is definitely not a MOD 1.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Does the op rod say “7.62mm/2?” Those op rods were cut down by the Italians to their Tipo 2 length. The Tipo 2 involved cutting the back of the barrel to rechamber it to 7.62 and shortening all other necessary parts. Are your stock and handguard normal length or slightly shortened?

********YES 7.62MM/2
    Stock is about 1 1/2 shorter.
    Hand guard is the length of 30-06.

Tipo 2 parts kits used to be very cheap, so there are lots of builds with them. A few places were also splicing the op rods back to regular length with mixed results.

What are the other barrel markings? I think I’ve seen 60s dated US barrels on
    Italian conversions before.

Barrel is marked SA 6535448 11/62 YS Proof Mark and the Americn eagle stamp
    US Navy MK 2 MOD 0 rifles were .30/06 barrels converted by a chamber sleeve, but they were marked 7.62 on the chamber along with the contractor that did it. The MK 2 MOD 1 rifles had new made 7.62 barrels all made by SA in 1965 and 1966, so your 1962 barrel is definitely not a MOD 1.

It also has the white block to prevent loading 30-06.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Collectability? That said, you are likely confusing "collectability" with "desirability." LOTS of shooters want Garands in 308 Winchester and there will always be a market for it. You are certainly not buying an oddball or future orphan.

Not at all - I think that rifle pegs the "desirability" meter. But you totally answered my question none the less. This would be a good use of my money.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I've heard that .308 is slightly more accurate than '06 in a Garand, if anything.

It's not legal for official John C. Garand matches, though.

Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    Oh darn. I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a .308 M1 Garand if and when they become available. At $50 more than my other M1 it is incredibly tempting.

I've been telling my wife we need to start downsizing though. This is going to be gnawing at me the rest of the day, I'm sure.

My 30-06 CMP Service grade M1 Garand. (1944 SA rcvr & 1958 SA bbl, CMP stock)
    [dates may be wrong] ;)

Your receiver dates to approximately May 1942 based on the 1st 3 numbers of the serial assuming it's 6 digits. If only 5, then approximately September 1940.

Sirex