• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Hi guys,

I have a Lyman Deerstalker in .54 and was trying to shoot some .54 cal Powerbelts. I got them in the 295 gr and 348 gr. However once I put the bullet on the muzzle, it just dropped into the barrel without any friction. I didn’t even use my ramrod to get it to go down the barrel.

Anyone have this issue?

K

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I only have very limited experience with power belt bullets but have never witnessed one that just "dropped" down the barrel without any resistance at all.
    You need to make sure you selected the right type and if you did, that they stay on the powder charge prior to firing which you probably already know.
    You may have run across a combination of higher tolerance in bore diameter of your rifle and lower end of the same with the particular lot number of the bullet bases.
    Even then, if you have fired the rifle and are reloading the caking of the powder residue should offer a little resistance that can be felt to be scraped as the bullet being pushed to the bottom of the bore.

The last time I loaded a rifle with power belts they were the platinum type in a CVA (50 cal) inline and they shot like nuts last year.
    I seem to remember they were very easy to load which caused me to be skeptical but they did work well while helping to prepare a rifle for hunting.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    On mine, they did seem to go in easier. But not drop. A hunter friend talked about the base expanding for more contact… when fired. ???

The problem I had with PB, and one of the first sabot loads I tried, was keyholing. Found a sabot load that worked out well shortly after. The PB’s and maybe even the lead/polymer nose sabot rounds may still be in the bucket-o-stuff.. after all these years.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    I shoot power belts in my 50 and they go in easy , not much pressure to push them down . I shoot them in my inline . My Hawkins I patch and ball which is a lot more resistance to get in , use a ball starter . My 58 I shoot conicals and they drop in . When those are shot the skirt does swell to grab the groove of the barrel .i have a 54 but haven’t much experience with it . I don’t think your bullet should just drop in . Does the back of it cup so to speak .if so I would say it’s ok and designed to swell like my 58s.but all the power belts I have shot the plastic works as the seal with the barrel . I shoot them exclusively in my inline . Curios also is the bullet going all the way down . Measure with the ram rod. I don’t feel or have seen a power belt drop all the way down . Go in very easy in a clean and buttered barrel yes ,drop in all the way down with no resistance no. I will be home tomorrow and I will surely be checking my 54 which is a Thomson Center . Was given to me and well just haven’t showed her some love yet .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Answer #1 - Micrometer your bore , and the Power Belt projectiles . My first thought is .50 cal projectiles mislabeled as .54 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom