• the truth about optics.jpg
      the truth about optics.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 279

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Do you spend most of your time on higher magnifications? This is viable, as long as your main optic is genuinely lightweight. I see a lot of dudes thinking this is going to work with a big heavy ol' 3-18x, and I promise you it is gonna suck.

Do you spend most of your time on 1x? I'd submit to you that the proposed setup sounds good in theory but is garbage in real life usage. You will spend most of your time with your compensator screwing you up and your rifle feeling unbalanced.

Instead of ****ing around with a Nightforce 2.5-10x and an offset, I just use a Razor Gen3. Problem solved.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I agree with the lol part of the post, you will suck if you don’t train.

When the SWFA 2.5-10x ultralight BDC scope came out awhile back, I kept trying to talk myself into a setup with that and an offset MRDS. At about 15 ounces (total weight for all optics and mounts) it seems attractive, but then I wasn’t really sure what I would do with this theoretical light weight optics masterpiece.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I agree with the lol part of the post, you will suck if you don’t train.

When the SWFA 2.5-10x ultralight BDC scope came out awhile back, I kept trying to talk myself into a setup with that and an offset MRDS. At about 15 ounces (total weight for all optics and mounts) it seems attractive, but then I wasn’t really sure what I would do with this theoretical light weight optics masterpiece.
    I think it makes sense for like... a light hunting rifle.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    For most, it's easier to hit at at few hundred yards with a good LPVO out than to switch and hit close with an offset red dot. Pretty much the best purpose is for a true long range setup with high magnification and a narrow field of view, it can help find the target ar long range quickly with the dot, and transition to the magnified optic without dropping magnification or hunting around for it. At true close range, especially with an illuminated reticle you can shoot both eyes open, and your brain will kinda superimpose the reticle and blurry or dark image with the clean one from your other eye. Can shoot pretty fast with that if you practice. Pretty popular technique if shooting a mix of long range and really close targets.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I think it makes sense for like... a light hunting rifle.
    Except for the part where you can just use the 2.5-10 by itself and have less stuff on your rifle. Snap shooting danger close deer using the red dot doesn’t seem like a thing. I also thought about trying it out at 2 gun, but then the local matches created new categories for tac optics + pistol red dot, so I no longer had to worry about being in open class automatically for using an MRDS on my pistol. Oh well, it seemed like a cool idea at the time. I’m glad I never bought the stuff to make it a reality.

Which, incidentally, is pretty much what happened with Recce/SPR 5.56 type builds once they actually spent time in Afghanistan. The whole idea turned out to be too niche. And materials caught up with requirements, leading to lighter weight .308/6.5 setups.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Except for the part where you can just use the 2.5-10 by itself and have less stuff on your rifle. Snap shooting danger close deer using the red dot doesn’t seem like a thing.
    Around here, it's not. But once you get a little further west and there's stuff that bites back, I see why it could be comforting.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Around here, it's not. But once you get a little further west and there's stuff that bites back, I see why it could be comforting.
    Could be, I’ll ask my Montana/Wyoming/Colorado/Alaska big game hunter friend next time I see him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom