• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The social unrest stuff has me thinking about the utility of monoculars. I've been in situations where I'm on one street, and see some kind of commotion happening a block away, but can't make it out in detail. It seems like if you have the option of quickly grabbing a monocular out of a pocket/bag, you could get some situational awareness you otherwise wouldn't have with naked eyes. Aside from that, it could just be cool to have for hikes and things like concerts/games. I do have some questions though.

What are the main advantages/disadvantages to using a monocular instead of a compact set of traditional binoculars?

I've read a eye relief of at least 15 mm is needed for using them with glasses. Any glasses wearers have any input on special considerations for spectacles?

Magnification...what's "the best" for general situational awareness inside of about 200 yards? In normal binoculars, it seems like things get a little shaky above 10x. With a monocular, is 8x about a sweet spot, or 10x?

what are some good monoculars in different price ranges? <$50, $50-100, $100-200, $200-300 etc.

Annnnd does anyone have experience with the vortex solo monoculars. In specific, I'm looking at the 8x25 vs the 8x36....10x36 if shakiness/15mm eye relief isn't a big deal. It seems like with glasses, the 8x36 would be a winner for the 18mm eye relief and better overall optic quality from working with physics instead of against it. You also get a pocket clip that seems useful with the x36.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DMJ81Y

for now, I've bought this cheap little pos...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RBG7W52
    ...just to play around with the utility of carrying a monocular in different situations. If it seems like it gives some benefits, I'll probably snag something like the vortex 8x36 later

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I have the Vortex 8X36 Solo R/T. It’s nice being it’s also a range finder that does not rely on batteries or electronics that can fail.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I have a low power monocular that I use from time to time in the woods while deer hunting.
    Also doubles on my hip mounted quiver for spotting / differentiating knocks or groups when shooting archery. The case has a quick clip on it for attachment.
    That things so old I don’t even remember who made it. I bought it out of a paper Gander mountain catalogue when they were circulated.

I Also carry a 3x9 scope in my truck just in front of the drivers seat to spot deer when I’m driving around.
    Usually a take off or one that’s broken down Or no good anymore.
    Stays right in front of the seat on the transmission tunnel.
    I keep my good stalking bino’s away till I really need them so they stay in good shape, away from heat / cold dirt and all.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I picked up the Vortex 10x25 for $30 on sale at gander. Its handy to have when hunting. Sometimes I'll take it in the kayak if I'm going out a ways.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Sawing damaged or broken binoculars In half was something people would do to have an extra set of eyes available.
    I don’t know if that was ever a thing people have seen being done.
    In the early days of 3-D archery it was popular long before manufactured targets were available.
    When a coon target was made by some guy Out of paper mache in the club before a shoot.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Sawing damaged or broken binoculars In half was something people would do to have an extra set of eyes available.
    In the early days of 3-D archery it was popular long before manufactured targets were available.
    When a coon target was made by some guy Out of paper mache in the club before a shoot.

I hadn't considered picking up a used pair with a f'd bridge or one functioning side for the cheap, and then just making my own monocular. That's pretty solid thinking.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    For sheer portability, optical quality, and discreet usage, the Zeiss Turmon 8x21 is hard to beat. When properly folded for use, it's easily held and not obvious. Just hold an open fist to your eye; no one knows you're looking. I think I paid about 80 bucks for mine; nice small quality leather belt case, you don't even know it's there until you want it.

Attachments

• z2.jpg
      z2.jpg
      45.5 KB · Views: 262
    • z3.jpg
      z3.jpg
      44.5 KB · Views: 266
    • z1.jpg
      z1.jpg
      34.6 KB · Views: 255

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I came out of the woods one day after a bow hunt and found a pare of binoculars lying on the ground next to my truck. Nice set, army issue. Someone must have left it in the roof of their car and drove off. One side was smashed unusable. The other half was tip-top. I dismantled them and kept the good side. I used it for years.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    I have the cheapy Gosky Titan from Amazon couple years back. It is a 12x50 ,was on sale for $49. No need for eye relief for me, just adjust the focus ring. Shake is not that bad. I got this for birding. A lot smaller than a bino, but IMO it is just as good.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    https://www.rei.com/product/161309/vortex-solo-8-x-25-monocular
    For whatever reason, rei has vortex solo 8x25 monocular for way cheaper than anyone else at $50. It seems to just be their everyday price for it. I figured I'd grab one to check out.

It's pretty great for that price. It's small enough to be pocketable, but built well and fairly clear. The focus ring is a little clumsy. It's somewhat stiff and the position behind the eye cup makes it awkward to adjust.

With vortex's warranty, it's a good optic for the kids. They can beat it to f^ck and I can just get a new one if this gets trashed. I've added it to my everyday bag as a handy item for seeing more when I need to.

Attachments

• 20220117_165814.jpg
      20220117_165814.jpg
      144.4 KB · Views: 244

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I use that Vortex Solo 8x monocular all the time at Appleseed to check targets and spot for people at 25 yards. Also enjoy occasionally for birds and what not. $50 is a great price too. The range finding version seems cool.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I keep a cheap monocular in the truck, but hate it. I'm currently looking for an 8x25 compact binocular to take it's place.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I have a Vortex 10x, not sure what the eye relief is. I wear glasses everywhere except to bed, and find with the lens cup against my glasses I see fine.
    For most hunting applications I prefer my binos if gun hunting or my range finder for archery. I do like the monocular for a go bag or get home bag because of their size and weight. I wouldn’t go all in $$$, something in the $30-50 range is plenty.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

What are the main advantages/disadvantages to using a monocular instead of a compact set of traditional binoculars?

for now, I've bought this cheap little pos...
    […

If you ever do any stakeouts my affinity for monoculars came about as I could use a monocular looking like I had my head up against the inside of the glass window of a beat up vehicle. Watching the reactions of ghetto kids counter-surveilling others trying to be discreet using binoculars woulda been funny were it not so sad …

All I used were cheap Russian ones I used to get via … (d*mmit! Botach?) as they’d get A-bused. I still have one in my range kit but,

You got me thinking now, decades later, about getting a really nice one for use at the range!

So, color me: :popcorn:

Zero experience as far as eyeglasses go …

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I send someone I don’t like up to the scene. That way I am still safe and won’t miss them if they don’t return.

Lmao.

I never thought of this idea but I will follow for real answers

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've got one of these Zeiss monoculars. It's tiny and folds flat to fit in its case. You have to fold it into a zigzag to see thru it, but it's easily concealed in your fist. You can seem to be holding your fist up to your head and it's hard for anyone to see what you're doing.

I think it cost me about 80 bucks. years ago.

Personally prefer binos, but I can see where it might come in handy, so to speak.

Link:
    http://www.monocular.info/turmon.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom