S&W 15-22 vs CMMG .22LR conversion kit...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I have a complete CMMG upper and couldn't be happier. The S&W is much cheaper and seems almost as good in many ways, although Appleseed did ban them a couple months ago due to out-of-battery discharges and other issues. Might be a bad batch? Personally I like to be able to retain my existing lowers vs using a purpose-built rifle.

I don't have much experience with the conversion kits, but a dedicated barrel makes more sense to me--especially if you shoot for accuracy.

blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air
    I have a complete CMMG upper and couldn't be happier. The S&W is much cheaper and seems almost as good in many ways, although Appleseed did ban them a couple months ago due to out-of-battery discharges and other issues. Might be a bad batch? Personally I like to be able to retain my existing lowers vs using a purpose-built rifle.

I don't have much experience with the conversion kits, but a dedicated barrel makes more sense to me--especially if you shoot for accuracy.

Is this the CMMG upper you have? I just picked it up, currently waiting on it to ship. From everything I read/watched, it's a great setup. The reason for going this route for me was that I already had a lower sitting around and being able to just slap on this dedicated 22 upper was an ideal scenario.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    For my indoor range plinker I run a CMMG conversion kit on a AR pistol with a Palmetto 10.5" Nitride barrel + 8" Form 1 suppressor. CMMG magazines and M&P 15-22 magazines work fine. I remove the suppressor and flush the gas tube with a magazine of .223. Last upgrade was a Geissele SD3G trigger. Don't forget the McFaden lightning loader with the 15-22 adapter for quick loading of magazines. :)

Will the S&W MP15-22 rifle magazines work with the CMMG .22 conversion kit? If so, is an adapter needed?
    Thanks!

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    For my indoor range plinker I run a CMMG conversion kit on a AR pistol with a Palmetto 10.5" Nitride barrel + 8" Form 1 suppressor. CMMG magazines and M&P 15-22 magazines work fine. I remove the suppressor and flush the gas tube with a magazine of .223. Last upgrade was a Geissele SD3G trigger. Don't forget the McFaden lightning loader with the 15-22 adapter for quick loading of magazines. :)

Is the McFaden lightning loader with the 15-22 adapter still the go to loader, since your post goes back to late 2016, or has something else come on the market? Thanks!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Is the McFaden lightning loader with the 15-22 adapter still the go to loader, since your post goes back to late 2016, or has something else come on the market? Thanks!
    Still the only good one AFAIK. It works a treat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom