• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARMERICA

Feb 23, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    So I'm seeing really cheap magnifiers and a variety of red dots & holographic sights HOWEVER, the issue I seem to be running into is that with a very small set of exception, I see really cheap options seemingly better suited for air-softies and questionable for AR's or the super fine military contract combat optics with a starting price of nearly $500 each.

For my 1st build (pics attached), I went with an Atibal AT-MCRD red dot ($135), which struck me as a civilian grade combat sight (for lack of a better term) and I tried a (wait for it...) Amazon 3X magnifier (this ended up being a $60 magnifier in an almost $120 flip to side mount).

Is this how it's done? Do you just try for a combo of whatever cost you can budget or are there other manufacturers that offer true middle of the road options at middle of the road prices. I'm thinking $150 to $250 price range with clear field of views and forgiving eye reliefs with minimal ghosting and stuff like that... just solid performing reasonable quality optics at a mid-range price. Any input, links, reviews, suggestions, etc are appreciated.

20160424_160914_zpsimyznuaz.jpg

20160423_162546_zpsb4d8a4de.jpg

ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD
    I went with a Holosun HS403G Paralow Micro Red Dot Sight ($199) mounted to a American Defense Mfg. Aimpoint T1 Micro Mount 1 Piece Co-Witness ($77) with a Primary Arms 6X Magnifier Gen II ($99) mounted to a American Defense Magnifier Swing Off Mount ($135). Total cost was about $500. Could save $ by going with a cheaper version of the Holosun and cheaper mounts.

Attachments

• Red Dot I.jpg
      Red Dot I.jpg
      87.5 KB · Views: 465
    • Red Dot II.jpg
      Red Dot II.jpg
      104.4 KB · Views: 605

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Primary Arms and Burris both make good mid range optics.

If you want magnified optics, look into a 1x4 scope. You can save a lot of money over your current set up. Yoy will also get a much better optic. There are quite a few available with an illuminated reticle.

Something like the Vortex Strike Eagle would be a good choice.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/173684/vortex-optics-strike-eagle-rifle-scope-30mm-1-6x24mm-5-moa-adjustment-illuminated-ar-bdc-reticle?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Optics+-+Scopes+-+Under+12X-_-Vortex+Optics-_-173684&gclid=Cj0KEQjwo_y4BRD0nMnfoqqnxtEBEiQAWdA124fs6DNyJZhrBwfbA-pSUDmTnfyFRO16Cte10zgVyuAaAlSC8P8HAQ

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I went with a Holosun HS403G Paralow Micro Red Dot Sight ($199) mounted to a American Defense Mfg. Aimpoint T1 Micro Mount 1 Piece Co-Witness ($77) with a Primary Arms 6X Magnifier Gen II ($99) mounted to a American Defense Magnifier Swing Off Mount ($135). Total cost was about $500. Could save $ by going with a cheaper version of the Holosun and cheaper mounts.

That's a veey nice set up. Are you happy with the Holosun?

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I've been thinking about one of the Holosun circle dot optics now that I get my refund from Eotech. Still have the Eotech magnifier which they wouldn't take back because it wasn't bought as a package.

ARMERICA

Feb 23, 2016
    Bel Air, MD

Nice set up and I appreciate this info.
    How is the eye relief on that PA magnifier and how do you like the swing off mount? I've looked at both of those as considerations.

ARMERICA

Feb 23, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    Primary Arms and Burris both make good mid range optics.

If you want magnified optics, look into a 1x4 scope. You can save a lot of money over your current set up. Yoy will also get a much better optic. There are quite a few available with an illuminated reticle.

At least as it stands today I prefer a separate magnifier in some flavor of flip off mount for any build expected to perform inside 100 yards, which is really all I've purposed the 1st build and the 2nd build I'm working on now. With the Atibal red dot, magnifier and both mounts I was able to get the combo set up for about $350 total investment.

I probably wouldn't do a scope on a cqb but Ive thought it a better consideration for a 100+ yard build and you've confirmed my thoughts. I'll absolutely go with a scope like you're talking about when the time comes to build that rifle, especially if it is a 308 build as I hope.

ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD
    That's a veey nice set up. Are you happy with the Holosun?

So far very happy

Nice set up and I appreciate this info.
    How is the eye relief on that PA magnifier and how do you like the swing off mount? I've looked at both of those as considerations.

It's about 3", I do like the swing off because when it swings it goes down a little so not to impede your FOV as much as other ones I looked into.

ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD
    I've been thinking about one of the Holosun circle dot optics now that I get my refund from Eotech. Still have the Eotech magnifier which they wouldn't take back because it wasn't bought as a package.

If I had to do all over again I would have gone with the circle dot set up (500 series) over just the dot (400 series) 403G I got and they are not that much more $ maybe 20-30 dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom