• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    18" lightweight PSA grendel upper on an aero lower. Still need to swap the gas block for a superlative arms adjustable one and the trigger for a mbt2s that's still in the mail, but getting closer to being done. Would also like a 45'd mrdo, but we'll get there eventually.

Attachments

• grendel.jpg
      grendel.jpg
      75.9 KB · Views: 387
    Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I just put the Cabela's brand AR 223 scope (3-12x44) on one of the ARs that I recently lost in that awful boating accident. I'm not sure how this scope is going to be - it seems solid enough, the glass is clear enough, and it seem to have decent eye relief. Time will tell - I'll have to get it out to the range to see how it will do....after I dredge it up from the bottom of the Chesapeake. I'll also have to remove the MBUS sights - can't really use them at this point.

Attachments

• AF3DA7A6-013A-40C1-8512-2D61815368E3.jpg
      AF3DA7A6-013A-40C1-8512-2D61815368E3.jpg
      68 KB · Views: 370

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My latest build - I robbed the MBUS sights off of my 18" AR in the pic above so this one can have sights until I can get an optic for it.

This one is a smattering of parts and is a 100% build, rather than buying a completed upper to put on a lower build. Years ago I bought a blem stripped upper from Palmetto State Armory, and almost everything else for this build came from PSA.

The barrel came from Faxon - they had a sale on the barrel at Christmastime - $99 for a 16" HBAR in 5.56.
    Lower Parts Kit: PSA/Magpul MOE with the EPT trigger
    Handguard: PSA 12.5" Free Floating MLOK handguard.
    BCG: PSA Nickel Boron premium BCG - I was on the fence between this one and the Toolcraft, but both were a pretty good value at right around the $100 mark
    Charging handle: PSA basic charging handle
    Flash Suppressor: Spikes tactical standard A2 birdcage
    Gas Block: Yankee Hill low profile
    Gas Tube: PSA mid-length tube

There were a few other things - the barrel was not dimpled for the gas block, so I did that with a jig from SLR and a Bosch cobalt drill bit.

Also, the upper, lower and handguard were anodized black, so I coated those with Brownell's Aluma-Hyde that is supposedly Magpul FDE - as you can see, it's not exactly a match.

For lubricant for the barrel and flash suppressor I used Aeroshell 64 grease. I read that people use either anti-seize compound or Aeroshell, and I decided to get the Aeroshell because I thought I could find other uses for it.

For the barrel, since I didn't have a typical barrel nut, I didn't have to worry about alignment for the gas tube, so I torqued to 40 lb ft.

So, not an expensive build, but not an awful build either. I enjoyed doing this one from scratch and not just slapping a completed upper onto a lower build, although in hindsight, that would have been cheaper, especially since I didn't build it with any premium parts. I got a lot of what I wanted though, and I like the overall aesthetic.

Attachments

• FDE AR.jpg
      FDE AR.jpg
      56.7 KB · Views: 297

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm really glad to see this thread devoid of grippods
    I have a grip pod, but mainly as a cheat of sorts for the range for qualification for the National Guard, although with the qualification tables, it's kind of a moot point now.

It used to be you had so many rounds supported, and so many rounds unsupported. In most cases at the range, "supported" was the equivalent of using sandbags, and if you had a grip pod with a bipod on your M4, you could use that with your AR for "unsupported" because you weren't using sandbags.

I recently ditched the stock plastic handguards that came with my budget Delton rifle kit for a drop-in quad rail, mainly for aesthetics - the standard handguards were functional enough. In any case, I can put that grip pod on that if I want to.

This was a complete budget build, although it has a couple of upgrades now. I put in a drop-in CMC 3.5 lb single stage trigger, and of course the drop-in quad-rail. Thinking of maybe upgrading the BCG, although this one works fine, and maybe adding a Magpul stock and grip.

Attachments

• Black AR.jpg
      Black AR.jpg
      52.4 KB · Views: 279

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Trickg - love that PSA "budget" build! How much you want to bet it's still a tack driver?
    I sure hope it is - I'm sitting here tonight trying to decide on a decent but budget optic for it. At the moment I'm leaning toward the Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x24 LPVO scope. Seems to be a pretty solid value for the money.

Ugh - my whole life is budget. Champaign tastes but a beer budget. :sad20:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    -Engage Armament lower
    -SOLGW-LPK w/Liberty Fighting trigger
    -SOLGW-buffer tube, backplate and castle nut
    -Magpul-MOE K2 Plus Grip
    -Tubb-AR15 buffer spring
    -SOLGW-H buffer
    -SOLGW Stock
    -Colt Upper Receiver
    -Colt 14.5 P/W SOCOM Barrel
    -Surefire-M73 AR15 Carbine Rail
    -Aero Precision-7075 charging handle
    -PSA-premium phosphate BCG w/SOTAR reliability service
    -MBUS rear sight
    -Romeo 7s

Attachments

• 20220204_223859.jpg
      20220204_223859.jpg
      28 KB · Views: 368

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    -Engage Armament lower
    -SOLGW-LPK w/Liberty Fighting trigger
    -SOLGW-buffer tube, backplate and castle nut
    -Magpul-MOE K2 Plus Grip
    -Tubb-AR15 buffer spring
    -SOLGW-H buffer
    -SOLGW Stock
    -Colt Upper Receiver
    -Colt 14.5 P/W SOCOM Barrel
    -Surefire-M73 AR15 Carbine Rail
    -Aero Precision-7075 charging handle
    -PSA-premium phosphate BCG w/SOTAR reliability service
    -MBUS rear sight
    -Romeo 7s
    Nice build! It's fun when you know exactly what parts are in it - there's a pride there that you don't quite get when you buy a finished upper to put on a lower build.

She's gorgeous, I'm drooling.
    Thanks! Can't wait to get it to the range to see if it's a shooter.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    My contribution.

6.5 Grendel
    Aero Enhanced upper & rail guard
    Aero lower
    Odin 20” DMR profile barrel
    Odin BCG along with adjustable gas block
    Geissele lpk
    Geissele ssa-e trigger
    Geissele buffer tube
    Geissele super 42 braided w/ H1
    Magpul grip & stock
    ADM optic mount
    Vortex PST II 3-15

Just got done yesterday will hopefully see how she shoots this weekend.

Attachments

• 2C819AB9-FE79-4D5D-A5D5-075D9FFDC892.jpg
      2C819AB9-FE79-4D5D-A5D5-075D9FFDC892.jpg
      104.7 KB · Views: 276

blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air
    First Suppressed Centerfire Rifle (300BLK)

qT8ZjGH.jpg

vEo8rQz.jpg

uNubzNv.jpg

BA 8.3" 300BLK upper w/ Silencero Octane 45K

Oversized charging handle is a KaliKey which disables the gas systems essentially turning it into a bolt-gun. Hopefully results in some super hush hush shooting. Hoping to shoot it on the next camping trip.

MaierApril

Oct 17, 2017
    Adding my contribution...albeit that two of the rifles aren't really ARs (S&W M&P 15-22)

Attachments

• 272166348_1132680987532757_5542778067806895001_n (1).jpg
      272166348_1132680987532757_5542778067806895001_n (1).jpg
      121 KB · Views: 231

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My contribution.

6.5 Grendel
    Aero Enhanced upper & rail guard
    Aero lower
    Odin 20” DMR profile barrel
    Odin BCG along with adjustable gas block
    Geissele lpk
    Geissele ssa-e trigger
    Geissele buffer tube
    Geissele super 42 braided w/ H1
    Magpul grip & stock
    ADM optic mount
    Vortex PST II 3-15

Just got done yesterday will hopefully see how she shoots this weekend.
    I'm curious about this - I'm looking at your parts list there, I'm seeing a lot of Geissele parts, and I know what those parts cost. This build is substantially more than the build I showed up above, simply because the parts involved are different. I wonder how discernable the difference is when it comes to performance. I think you probably paid about $20 more for your rail than I did for mine - mine was a basic PSA rail and I think the price on the 12.5" rail was $109 at the time I bought it.

I ended up putting an Athlon Talos 1-4x24 optic on it with a Monstrum 30mm mount.

It's totally a budget setup - nothing expensive at all on this gun with maybe the exception of the BCG - it's a step up being Nickel Boron. Also the stock and grip - both Magpul. Otherwise the handguard was right around $100, and the fire control group is a $35 from PSA if bought separately.

Oh yeah I also have the Mandalorian dust cover, which was a total PITA to install - I had to remove half of everything on the front of the gun to swap it out.

My son and I are going to try to get it to the range tomorrow - the proof will be in the shooting, right?

Attachments

• Budget AR w Optic.jpg
      Budget AR w Optic.jpg
      58.4 KB · Views: 217
    • Budget AR Mando 1.jpg
      Budget AR Mando 1.jpg
      64 KB · Views: 218
    • Budget AR Mando 2.jpg
      Budget AR Mando 2.jpg
      71.7 KB · Views: 216

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts