• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ever since I bought a Glock 19, I've been searching for something a bit easier to carry more comfortably. It is not that the 19 had specific issues, but the grass seems to always be greener on the other "side." Thus, I embarked on that search and checked them out at the LGS.

First, I checked out the following: 43 and p365. At first, I liked the 43, but 6+1 was a non starter. I liked the sig, but a friend of mine has one and has had nothing but issues. And he is a sig guy. I like Walthers so I the PPK was in play. Also, I like their PPQ and PDP line. The sales guy also showed me the 43x, 48, and 26. As soon as I held the 43x, I thought that it felt so comfortable. Also, it might be something to help my wife get introduced to shooting. Thus, I pulled the trigger to buy.

After picking it up, I showed it to my wife. She said it was so small and light that it felt like a toy. She preferred my 19. Prior to the purchase, I rented it amongst the others at the range. The 43x shoots accurately. If I focus on a lighter pinkie, it shoots even better. It has room for the pinkie, but I think it shoots better with a very light touch with the pinkie. Recoils is almost as comfortable as my 19. Not much muzzle rise so follow up shots are quick. I shot all sorts of cheap ammo through it and there were no hiccups. I only used OEM mags.

As for concealing, with the right IWB or belly holster, it just disappears. I don't think I want anything smaller. I was thinking about a MOS version but I don't think I need an MOS for a small carry gun like this. I'll save my MOS money for a "precision" MOS RDS full size gun.

After a month, it is a keeper, but I'm still going to get a 26 for collector purposes. All in all, I'm glad I bought it because it fulfills my curiousity of the smaller single stack guns. No regrets.

Now, on to a 21...

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I took out my 43x today for the first time. The fit in my hand was perfect. The trigger has a nice break, but man did it hurt my finger after 150 rounds. The edge of my finger would rub the trigger guard as I would complete the pull. If I tried to adjust the pull, the safety blade of the trigger would rub and pinch. (I don't have soft marshmellow doctor hands)

I would load 5 rounds at a time in the sheild arms magazine, twice I had failure to feeds on the first round of the mag. When this happened, I brought the slide forward by disengaging the slide lock lever.

This is my first Glock. Is this a normal complaint or am I doing something wrong? (With the trigger)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I took out my 43x today for the first time. The fit in my hand was perfect. The trigger has a nice break, but man did it hurt my finger after 150 rounds. The edge of my finger would rub the trigger guard as I would complete the pull. If I tried to adjust the pull, the safety blade of the trigger would rub and pinch. (I don't have soft marshmellow doctor hands)

I would load 5 rounds at a time in the sheild arms magazine, twice I had failure to feeds on the first round of the mag. When this happened, I brought the slide forward by disengaging the slide lock lever.

This is my first Glock. Is this a normal complaint or am I doing something wrong? (With the trigger)
    The trigger has those grooves. I had to swap it out with an Apex trigger. Not because the trigger is "better", but the flat face was smooth. Problem solved.

If you are using the Shield Mags, you need to order the metal mag release, The plastic mag release on a metal mag is no bueno. You want metal on metal.

Get an extended slide lock to replace the stock. Glocks were made that the slide lock is not a slide release. That's why it's almost non existent. Your thumb most likely put pressure on the slide(because it's hard to use)as you were trying to push down on it. Thus causing the slide to go fully into battery.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I’ve got a 43X MOS, I’m still deciding on a RDS but one benefit that is often overlooked on the MOS for the 43X is that it adds a rail for a light. Standard 43X doesn’t have it and you’re left using some sort of adapter.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    The trigger has those grooves. I had to swap it out with an Apex trigger. Not because the trigger is "better", but the flat face was smooth. Problem solved.

If you are using the Shield Mags, you need to order the metal mag release, The plastic mag release on a metal mag is no bueno. You want metal on metal.

Get an extended slide lock to replace the stock. Glocks were made that the slide lock is not a slide release. That's why it's almost non existent. Your thumb most likely put pressure on the slide(because it's hard to use)as you were trying to push down on it. Thus causing the slide to go fully into battery.
    I'll check out that trigger. I did replace the mag release already.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I’ve got a 43X MOS, I’m still deciding on a RDS but one benefit that is often overlooked on the MOS for the 43X is that it adds a rail for a light. Standard 43X doesn’t have it and you’re left using some sort of adapter.
    The TLR6 will fit the 43X. It's the tiny light/laser combo.
    43x.jpg

Last edited:

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I bought smooth trigger shoe on Ebay. They're not hard to find. It's the only change I made to mine. The Apex is a wonderful trigger, but it's a lot more expensive..

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ******I CCW a 43 and it is perfect for me. I do appendix carry with a little IWB Kydex holster and I'm really happy with it and how well I can shoot it out to perhaps 15 yards. I have a spare mag as well as a fixed blade knife that is deployable a lot faster should the need arise but the 43 works really well for a guy my size.

Really happy with it.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Get an extended slide lock to replace the stock. Glocks were made that the slide lock is not a slide release. That's why it's almost non existent.
    I have no idea why they dont just use the extended slide release as the standard. It really does need to be done on any new Glock.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have no idea why they dont just use the extended slide release as the standard. It really does need to be done on any new Glock.
    Only they know why they do what they do. Gotta say one good thing about it, there's no riding the stock one with your thumb.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    But that is the only one that fits (a non-MOS 43X), correct?

I plan on trying a TLR-7 Sub for mine. 500 lumens vs the only 100 the 6 puts out.
    Yeah. It's pretty solid. I don't use it though. Not even sure why I got it. Curiosity I think.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Yeah. It's pretty solid. I don't use it though. Not even sure why I got it. Curiosity I think.
    I'm about the same, I rarely if ever venture out and about after dark (3 young kids at home who turn into pumpkins at 7:30pm) so a weapon mounted light really isn't needed for my every day carry.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm about the same, I rarely if ever venture out and about after dark (3 young kids at home who turn into pumpkins at 7:30pm) so a weapon mounted light really isn't needed for my every day carry.
    I hate being out at night anymore.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    That problem with the shield mags is common regardless of the magazine catch. It's a tolerance stacking issue with those mags and certain Glocks.

The common issue is the shield mags can miss the pusher on the bottom of the slide and miss the base of the top round in the magazine.

Those who slingshot the mag don't see as many issues with shield mags.

Knowing what I know about Glocks and making after aftermarket parts work properly, I would not trust gen 1 & 2 shield mags for a defensive gun. I hope they make a gen 3 and fix the issues. I like the concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom