• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    You're hitting on some of the major factors in comparing the rate of CCWs between different states .

Assuming one already owns suitable firearm(s) , and is reasonably competent , marginal costs at baseline include :

$75 application
    $50- 75 fingerprints
    $350-500 16 hour class

Call it $500-700 in money , plus lost time from other endeavors , and transportation costs .

Plenty of people can't afford that period , and lots more will have serious pause , compared to other priorities .

IF , the process remains the same other than G&S , and Further IF MSP doesn't become hopelessly backlogged , I'll predict that MD Permit rates will be on the order of 2- 3% , rather than the 10% and more in some other states .

IIRC that total is in the close range of what I spent for my initial CA CCW.

And I agree on the cost; years ago I could not afford. In a nutshell it's like a poll tax, and to me that's despicable.

Even worse for retirees with limited income and potential physical limitations. Ditto for the disabled.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My carpet installer got his this year. It seemed pretty straight forward. I was one of his references.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Maryland doesn't make any distinction between resident and non-resident. A non-resident can get a Maryland permit exactly the way a resident can (well, or can't). So if you own a business (any business, based in Maryland or not, with you living and banking in the state or not) and can show that you DO business in Maryland (not necessarily all of your business), you can get the permit.

The state definitely does NOT have a means to grant you a MD permit just because you have one in another state. You have to satisfy the state's "good and sufficient" standards within the state. But the business doesn't have to be based in Maryland, just DO stuff in Maryland. Demonstrably so - be ready with invoices, customer info with addresses, perhaps some business ATM deposits/withdrawals at MD-located ATMs, etc.

Hard to say what the ramifications of NYSRP (ruled happily in our favor) would be for non-residents. If they stop caring about G&S, they may still be willing to issue a MD permit to anyone who wants to sit through (and pay for) the required class, and pay for the permit application. Who knows how that special case will play out!

Thanks for the info. This is expanding my mind as in CA if you are not a resident of the county you don't get past the start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom