• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I’m not a hunter but I’ve shot for 35+ years (mostly Skeet) but I’m trying to understand how a loaded shotgun gets pointed at one’s stomach.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mo...-trip/ar-AASxVIX?ocid=winp1taskbar&li=BBnbfcL

A couple of ways . One that comes to mind is by carrying the shotty with a sling over your shoulder. Bend down to pick up a shell. Gun slides off shoulder and pivots around sling until the butt hits the ground with the barrel pointed at you.
    I did my hunter education in the plains. It focused on the 10 different ways how you can blow your head off while pheasant hunting. Climbing a fence with a loaded shotty over your shoulder is one of those ways, kneeling dow to pat the dog with a shotgun over your shoulder is another.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Once you drop/bobble a gun, anything's possible in terms of muzzle orientation. But what gets me is: never mind where it was pointed ... it went off! Reached for it as it slid/fell, and got a finger in the trigger guard? If it was being carried hot on a hike, why no safety on? Great grandpa's gun with an utterly unsafe action?

Point is: there had to more than one thing going on, here.

Will also add: being a skeet shooting rock star doesn't necessarily translate to field smarts.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    The "gun" accidentally fired a shot while he was bending down picking up empty shells.. the guns fault it looks like..

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    A couple of ways . One that comes to mind is by carrying the shotty with a sling over your shoulder. Bend down to pick up a shell. Gun slides off shoulder and pivots around sling until the butt hits the ground with the barrel pointed at you.
    I did my hunter education in the plains. It focused on the 10 different ways how you can blow your head off while pheasant hunting. Climbing a fence with a loaded shotty over your shoulder is one of those ways, kneeling dow to pat the dog with a shotgun over your shoulder is another.

Rarely see any slings on the skeet field. And when we do see them we know to monitor/assist the shooter. We usually recommend they remove it as it causes more problems than it solves.

I did take hunter safety eons ago and they advised that when climbing a fence the gun should be unloaded. I guess that’s not the norm.

Last edited:

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Once you drop/bobble a gun, anything's possible in terms of muzzle orientation. But what gets me is: never mind where it was pointed ... it went off! Reached for it as it slid/fell, and got a finger in the trigger guard? If it was being carried hot on a hike, why no safety on? Great grandpa's gun with an utterly unsafe action?

Will also add: being a skeet shooting rock star doesn't necessarily translate to field smarts.

I always say that multiple rules of firearm safety have to be broken for a tragedy like this to happen.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member

Truth, there always is. An accumulation of small things that ultimately ends in the unintended.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Nothing but a liberal hit piece article on guns. Starts talking about how accidental shootings are one of the leading causes of deaths in the U.S. which of course has nothing to do with this kid.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Countless possibilities. If hunting, maybe cleared a fence, then retreived the firearm pulled muzzle first is a first guess. Whatever he did, he wound up on the business end of a muzzle.

No surprise though. Some of the very worst of gun handling involves folks who should (and do) know better.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Nothing but a liberal hit piece article on guns. Starts talking about how accidental shootings are one of the leading causes of deaths in the U.S. which of course has nothing to do with this kid.
    Yeah, just another shit Newsweek story. One paragraph about the young man and the rest of the article describing as many accidental shootings as possible before the page space ran out. Especially stupid because the article was supposed to be about and Italian kid that died tragically in Italy, then the author nitpicks American firearms incidents like the two were somehow related. Typical leftist shit “journalism”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom