• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr355

Apr 21, 2014
    Fullerton md
    But what about the requirement to register the handgun within the required time frame? Hand gun is residing with in the borders of Md. Does it not have to be listed with MSP?

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    But what about the requirement to register the handgun within the required time frame? Hand gun is residing with in the borders of Md. Does it not have to be listed with MSP?

I am unsure of that.

But that doesn't require an HQL either. It is my understanding that because the pistol is still the property of the son, If/when he gets off active duty AND establishes residency in MD THEN it will have to be registered with the MSP per the GCA of 2013

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    My son is a soldier based at Fort Riley. He received a 1911 as a gift and is storing it here at my house in MD (I have an HQL). I think he should get an HQL too for when he's back home. I read somewhere that active military does not have to take the class, he only has to apply... is this true? Thanks in advance!

My daughter and her husband are also stationed at Ft. Riley. Just got back from there and will be going again in two months. My son is stationed at Ft. Campbell KY in the 101st pleaee thank your son for his service.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Ahem:

The OP stated that his son, a soldier, was gifted a 1911.

The OP stated that he is storing the 1911 at his house.

So his son, an active duty soldier, has obtained a pistol. He does not need an HQL to own a pistol. Only to buy one in Maryland.

I can give you several examples independent of this:

People who already owned pistols don't need an HQL to continue owning their pistols.

Making a pistol and owning it legally does not require and HQL.

A resident of another state who receives a pistol legally in that state who then moves to Maryland does not need an HQL to own that pistol.

You yourself presented some ways to legally OWN a pistol without an HQL. So I guess my statement that an HQL is necessary to PURCHASE but not to OWN a handgun is correct, isn't it?

Yes, purchase leads to ownership. It is also not the only way to own a pistol. Therefore, an HQL is required to PURCHASE but not to OWN a handgun.

With regard to your ad hominem attack about "wwnc" and "venting"

Aren't you an LEO tasked with enforcing laws? How are you able to do that when you clearly know the law, but refuse to acknowledge it as such?

This is the reason I wish people weren't so LAZY. The OP could have just done a SEARCH of this basic question that's been asked and answered DOZENS of times and not reopened this silly shi_storm.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    That's a straw man argument.

The question is whether or not his son needs an HQL to own the firearm he has been gifted. He does not.

He didn't ask about the legality of the gift, did he? Furthermore, he didn't say he was gifting a 1911 to his son, did he?

Unless there is evidence to suggest an illegal transfer has occurred, I am will assume it was legal.....as is the son's right under the COTUS.

And to answer your question:. Yes, in Maryland, (a small backwards useless worthless state) in MOST (but not all) cases a gift must go through an FFL. In MOST other states, that is not the case.

You are assuming that:
    The transfer happened in Maryland.
    The transfer was not interfamily (i.e. grandfather to grandson)
    The firearm was not part of an estate with the son being a named recipient
    The firearm is not a C&R and over 100 years old
    The firearm is not C&R and the son doesn't have an ffl07
    The son isn't simply storing his legally owned firearm with his father because it it a PITA to check a gun in on base.

I have made no such assumptions.

Also, you know what all of those things sound like to me? Reasonable doubt. Might wanna look into it.

Just to put the record straight it is 50 years:

https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2014/public-safety/title-5/subtitle-1/section-5-117.1
    2014 Maryland Code
    Public Safety
    Title 5 - Firearms
    Subtitle 1 - Regulated Firearms
    § 5-117.1. Handgun qualification license required for purchase of handguns.

(a) Exclusions. -- This section does not apply to:

(1) a licensed firearms manufacturer;

(2) a law enforcement officer or person who is retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State;

(3) a member or retired member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard; or

(4) a person purchasing, renting, or receiving an antique, curio, or relic firearm, as defined in federal law or in determinations published by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

BATF
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics
    To be recognized as C&R items, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

1. Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;

2. Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and

3. Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

50 years before now would be January 5th 1972.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    What can I say, Blaster came to a battle if wits unarmed, as evidenced by his silence.

Couldn't get him to shut up before. Now all I hear is crickets.

What do I win?

Blaster's never-ending animosity?

Don't get me wrong I don't have a dog into this fight at all.
    On the one hand I enjoy the banter; on the other people get PO'd and that leads to Jihad and that's not good.

Sometimes it's best to let things go and live for another day. Difference of opinion is what makes the world go round.

I'd reckon we have more alike than not. There is no shame in admitting a misanalyst as there is no shame in letting a misanalyst go.

But what do I know?

I'm off to Rant about my stupid boss:D:D:D:D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

That only applied when establishing residency in MD.

Son may still be a legal MD resident. But also, for BATFE purposes, a resident of KS for firearms transfers/purchases.

So AD military can remain MD resident, purchase whatever they want in states they are on orders to.

Only thing is, they cannot bring anything that is banned in MD back to MD. Those have to stay outside state.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    That only applied when establishing residency in MD.

Son may still be a legal MD resident. But also, for BATFE purposes, a resident of KS for firearms transfers/purchases.

So AD military can remain MD resident, purchase whatever they want in states they are on orders to.

Only thing is, they cannot bring anything that is banned in MD back to MD. Those have to stay outside state.

Thanks for the clarification

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom