• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Years ago before the action shooting bays went in there was a single patterning area set up near the north end where the shooting bays are. While I've shot many action matches up there for the life of me I can't remember if that patterning lane is still there. The newer overhead photo on the AGC page https://agcrange.org/about/range-rules-and-target-frame-info/#map doesn't show it anymore.

Yea or nay? Heading to AGC this week to renew and figured I'd take a Mossberg I picked up for 3-Gun to pattern if the lane was still in place.

Thanks.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Still there. Just to the right of Memorial Hall. Paper for patterning is located on the wall of Memorial Hall. Check out the newly designed archery area while you are there.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Where is the archery area now? They used to have a hanging target bag, but I didn't see that the last time I was up there.

To the left of the Patterning area. And there are targets there at different distances up a path.

For shotgun patterning, I did not know they had paper there. I just keep a roll of that brown paper Home Depot sells for walking on during construction or moving. PLace at the bottom and roll up and clip. Cut off and repeat if you need to shoot again. There are those large paper clips at the top/bottom to clip to or you can staple to the wood.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    To the left of the Patterning area. And there are targets there at different distances up a path.

For shotgun patterning, I did not know they had paper there. I just keep a roll of that brown paper Home Depot sells for walking on during construction or moving. PLace at the bottom and roll up and clip. Cut off and repeat if you need to shoot again. There are those large paper clips at the top/bottom to clip to or you can staple to the wood.

So, closer still to Memorial Hall than the patterning area. Thanks....not sure how I missed seeing that when I last drove up there.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    For patterning area specifically:

Nothing larger than #2 lead shot.

Nothing larger than BBB steel shot.

No slugs.

Slugs and larger shot sizes would be ok on the Barnes range, just not the patterning area.
    Perfect. I have a couple boxes of Fiocchi target loads in 7.5 shot...

Sent using Tapatalk

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I was actually going to stop in this week too to pattern a few shot guns. Do you need to check in with the RO prior to setting up at the pattering range?

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    As others have said yes it’s still there . Use a lot actually. Sad part about it seems like nobody picks up their hulls . Usually pick up a lot of them from others while there. But yes it’s still there

missedthebarn

Jan 1, 2021
    For patterning area specifically:

Nothing larger than #2 lead shot.

Nothing larger than BBB steel shot.

No slugs.

Slugs and larger shot sizes would be ok on the Barnes range, just not the patterning area.
    Pretty easy to miss the sign unless you walk up closer to the patterning area. The archery area is on the hill directly behind Memorial hall.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Is there a reason for the shot size restrictions? I could see the ability to pattern 00 buck as being pretty handy, and the way the backstop is set up, you'd have to work at it to miss it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Is there a reason for the shot size restrictions? I could see the ability to pattern 00 buck as being pretty handy, and the way the backstop is set up, you'd have to work at it to miss it.

It may be height of the backstop and how far your shot can carry. There is a house (vacant though?) up that hill. Somewhere up there they also hunt. There is the archery area to the side there. It could also do with the shot size and danger potential considering you have people walking around technically in front of the muzzle blast to the sides of you. There are no vertical berms like the other ranges are. Buckshot and slugs and larger shot can be done at the 100 yard range.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It may be height of the backstop and how far your shot can carry. There is a house (vacant though?) up that hill. Somewhere up there they also hunt. There is the archery area to the side there. It could also do with the shot size and danger potential considering you have people walking around technically in front of the muzzle blast to the sides of you. There are no vertical berms like the other ranges are. Buckshot and slugs and larger shot can be done at the 100 yard range.
    The backstop on the current patterning range is absolutely gigantic, and no amount of spread from the max distance is going to make it up that hill. The 100 yard range is not conducive to patterning at 10yds due to a lack of easy ability to place targets closer than 25yds and how your pellets are nearly guaranteed to hit the ground before the backstop. I feel like there's a use case here for the patterning range.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

Attachments

• agc_shotgun_patterning_range.jpg
      agc_shotgun_patterning_range.jpg
      170.8 KB · Views: 127

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics