• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    It was the summer of '69.
    Bought it at the five and dime.

There was a kid working there part time, owner didn't like him because he was a bit too leisurely.

Looked like he was doing something close to nothing, then he saw Alan walk in through the out door.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    *****What if you're hourly and run the chicken fryer at KFC? I almost had a 3 piece chicken meal deal at KFC tonight but instead had a salad with a bit of smoked salmon chucked in it along with some Spicy Asian Dressing... :thumbsup:

That’s why ammo comes in boxes. Some can afford cases, some can afford boxes. My favorites buy by the pallet :)

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Late 80's ammo and guns cheap. I was buying imported Military ammo through Norinco. The same ones importing the the cheap SKS rifles

I remember dem days when Lou was in Arbutus and there were racks of $80-$100 SKSs slathered in cosmoline.

I'd imagine that someone might get some pretty good interwebz traffic by building a website that compares ammo prices through the years and adjusted for inflation.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    There was a kid working there part time, owner didn't like him because he was a bit too leisurely.

Looked like he was doing something close to nothing, then he saw Alan walk in through the out door.

You were there!

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

Attachments

• 3D26D2C5-29E1-4BB7-A210-91D5CBED18CD.jpeg
      3D26D2C5-29E1-4BB7-A210-91D5CBED18CD.jpeg
      39.5 KB · Views: 186

Eye hart 762

Apr 8, 2019
    I have always been into firearms growing up, but started growing my collection in 2017. I miss the days of walking into Walmart and getting a 50 box of 9mm for $8-9

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Hey sorry guys.... I'm just trying to get an idea of when I should start buying.... probably going to put our tax return and half our savings into ammo.... trying time it.

appreciate the advice...

Let's go brandon!

If this is the plan, then the kind of ammo probably matters more than exact timing. Something like wolf 6.5 grendel would fit the bill. If russian imports of cheap steel cased ammo do actually stop, the price will likely start creeping up towards brass ammo until people would rather just pay for brass than steel cased. You'll then have to wait until it's semi-collectable, like black talons.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Pre Covid a box of 50 Winchester Whitebox or blazer could be had for $8.99 all day long. American Eagle a buck or two more. $179-199 for a case of 1000.

A case of .223 brass target could be had for under $300.

Sadly I believe those days are gone. The increase in cost of raw materials alone will keep prices higher than before.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The same could be said for crypto and stocks. 2 years ago I was selling a case of 9mm for $180 now it’s $380.

Ammo was cheaper in the past, so was everything else. Wouldn’t make sound financial strategy to invest a large portion of savings into ammo, many options with better ROI as others have called out.

Hmm, 100% profit in 2 years.

What other investments do that well?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My Dad used to pay a penny a round for .22LR. But people made $1 per day in his area.

I paid 2 cents per round for CCI in the 70s. But a good salary was $15,000 a year.

Now I make a lot more, and CCI MiniMags are 12 cpr. But as a % of my salary, it is cheaper than in the 70s and WAY cheaper than what my Dad paid.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    That graph is perfect. 2005 era was when I started buying my own ammo and i was buying very cheap but I was young and naive so I didnt stack deep. Surplus 8mm and 7.62x54r was under $100 for something around 800 rounds in a spam can from the 50s-70s. Right now a 760 round spam can of 8mm mouser on sgammo is $600.

I feel sorry for all the 20 year olds that will never know the fun of having ammo that cheap. With the current prices weekend plinking now days is a 22lr only kind of thing. It is really hard to justify throwing $1k of rifle ammo down the range just for fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom