• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You may consider the upper receiver facing tool while you are there. I had two igger name upper receiver and one name brand some at. The latter was the truest.

Gotta get one specifically for a BCM upper, or run the risk of cracking them. They are tight.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I'll keep that in mind - the help assemble, not touching my but part lol
    Sitting down to finalize the ordering of the barrel.

If you don’t mind driving to Bel Air, I can put it together with you. I have all the necessary tools, and Chad let me touch his butt once…

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I did read I have to heat the BCM upper, to "expand it", so the barrel will go in.

Several barrels are like that too. cool the barrel and/or heat the upper. Its not so bad. Someone told me after inserting it and making sure its all the way in to then let things warm to room temperature before actually doing the barrel nut. Forgot why he said. After doing it that way, thought I should have gotten advice from more than 1 person before doing it that way.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Several barrels are like that too. cool the barrel and/or heat the upper. Its not so bad. Someone told me after inserting it and making sure its all the way in to then let things warm to room temperature before actually doing the barrel nut. Forgot why he said. After doing it that way, thought I should have gotten advice from more than 1 person before doing it that way.

If the upper is hot when you install the barrel nut, it could be loose after it cools. Not sure what would happen with the cool barrel. It would expand as it warms, creating some extra torque.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I did read I have to heat the BCM upper, to "expand it", so the barrel will go in.

You can use a butane torch to heat the upper threads for a few minutes or you can throw the upper in a toaster at 250 for 15 minutes and then with an oven mitt, take the upper out and slide the barrel in.

Occasionally a few taps with a rubber mallet are needed to seat it fully after heating, as the upper will cool back down quickly after making contact with the barrel extension.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Does nobody use barrel vice blocks anymore?

I do in some cases but IMO they have too many negatives considering the modern alternatives.

The Satern blocks don't leave aluminum transfer marks like typical blocks but they cost more than a URR

Barrel blocks don't always work with some modern barrel profiles and may require you to to remove the handguards on some setups to use them for muzzle device work.

They can hide undertourqued barrel extensions too.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If you use a torch or any heat on a thermal fit upper keep the temp below 275. Above 275 can degrade the strength of 7075.

Laser thermometer is your friend.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Good tip, and thanks for the heads up on the proper "no go" temp.
    Thinking a toaster oven at 225F would do the trick?

If you use a torch or any heat on a thermal fit upper keep the temp below 275. Above 275 can degrade the strength of 7075.

Laser thermometer is your friend.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Is it extra if I help LOL
    I am wanting to learn, that is why I am building not buying.
    I looked at classes, but there is a backlog?

I have watched when he did a couple for me.

And he explained each step.

The big thing is, to do one barrel, RIGHT, requires a LOT of tools, which cost a lot of money.

DEVE

Jan 15, 2019
    DELMARVA
    I will be installing a barrel on a BCM M4 upper receiver,,
    What is the most cost effective way to "retain" the receiver while torquing, and re-torquing the barrel nut?

Obviously I do not want to damage the receiver,, but I do not want to spend $120 on a receiver jig that is on back order.

Is there an effective way to hold the receiver without damaging it,, Without spending $100 plus dollars?

Thanks
    I used these, torque to 80ft-lbs, and never damaged anything. They were like $40 when I got mine (have one for AR10, one for AR15)
    09EBC49C-5967-417F-A7FD-040AF0906F23.jpeg

I honestly think that a barrel vise block rod is best, but they cost a lot more. If you plan to build a lot they are totally worth it though. You could also resell it to recoup most of the cost.
    rs=w:600,h:600

Duckncover

Jan 14, 2021
    howard county
    I have had good success with this: turn the upper on its side, pic rail facing either towards you or away, and clamp it in a vice with wood between the vice and your upper on both sides. Vice it tight and torque away. I also have the jig if you want to pm me

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom