15 degree AR pistol grip... improved comfort or gimmick?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARMERICA

Feb 23, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    I've seen the MFT pistol grip and I'm wondering if I should give it a try. I know these things are personal preference but I'm wondering what feedback is actually out there. Is it just a gimmick grip, or does it improve a wrist angle like the Magpul AVG claims to do on the hangguard?

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I've seen the MFT pistol grip and I'm wondering if I should give it a try. I know these things are personal preference but I'm wondering what feedback is actually out there. Is it just a gimmick grip, or does it improve a wrist angle like the Magpul AVG claims to do on the hangguard?
    Personal preference, feel one and see if YOU like the grip angle.... Everything else doesn't really matter.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My experience has been that they make a noticeable difference when used with the NEA CCS or a similar "short" stock.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Ditto whenever I do a short stock project it gets one of these type of grips. Originally the only one I saw was the one by Umbrella Corp sold by PSA. Now even PSA sells 2 competing brands of these shallow angle grips. Recently ordered 2 of these from their new vender at PSA. I still prefer the feel of the Ergo grips but they don't make anything as yet like this. It can sure keep you from getting a krick in your wrist. If you opt for an Ace Entry stock then get one. A Troy or MVB short collapsible stock, get one. If you routinely leave your AR stock at the compressed position, get one.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    They are nice for shorter barrels and shorter rails, use a Magpul K2 on my 14.5" with carbine length handguards. Makes it comfortable to square up to the target with the stock shortened, and really quick popping multiple targets. The different angle does shorten the length of pull, the MFT and K2 moves it back with a beavertail, the Magpul K and a couple others without the beavertail are shorter and work for small hands.

ARMERICA

Feb 23, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    Ditto whenever I do a short stock project it gets one of these type of grips. If you opt for an Ace Entry stock then get one. A Troy or MVB short collapsible stock, get one. If you routinely leave your AR stock at the compressed position, get one.

Great input. I appreciate it:thumbsup:

ARMERICA

Feb 23, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    Personal preference, feel one and see if YOU like the grip angle.... Everything else doesn't really matter.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more. The issue is that I likely won't have a chance to try one without buying one to try. Most grips aren't but $2- to $25, so not the end of the world, but before trying one out I wanted to see if more experienced guys could give me some insight as to if there is any real practical application for it. :thumbsup:

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I have been using this type of reduced angel grip for years. Personally I prefer the BCM MOD 1 grip. I believe the BCM was one of the first, maybe even the very first, reduced angle grips to hit the market. I have the umbrella on a couple lowers too and it works great but I just like the BCM better.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I have been using this type of reduced angel grip for years. Personally I prefer the BCM MOD 1 grip. I believe the BCM was one of the first, maybe even the very first, reduced angle grips to hit the market. I have the umbrella on a couple lowers too and it works great but I just like the BCM better.

I also use the BCM grips on my rifles. To me, they are very comfortable, and the reduced angle works better with a more squared shooting stance, which I often use.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm thinking of trying one on my 9mm pistol build which I plan on keeping a pistol (at least as long as I am in Merryland).

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I started with Hogue grips, but then moved to the Magpul K2 line. I don't "chicken wing" my arm when firing from a standing position, so the grips with less angle feel better. Plus the K2 line is smaller, which for me is good, because I have smaller hands. I actually like AK grips as well. I fit them.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom