Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 15th, 2019, 08:10 AM #31

The only issue I've ever had with an AR magazine was the 3 metal STANAG ones I bought from Brownells which were supposed to be "superior". I tried filing the feed lips, tweaking them, still got double feeds, failure to feed, etc. Magpul mags have been 100% reliable in all my ARs and they are the only mag I trust. Whether you want the window or not doesn't make any difference. It'll work. I don't check my mags anyway, when it's empty I load a new mag. I'm not in a battle zone so I can't comment on how it is in the field under fire. I guess you could save a second by looking at the window vs. dropping the mag to check.
Bountied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 07:46 PM #32

I have both windowed and non. I just get whatever is cheapest. I also have a decent supply of metal mags that I just function tested, cleaned and packed away.

Buy lots buy often and stack them deep.
niftyvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 12:04 AM #33

Real men use premium quality steel H&K mags. And when you get rid of your girly plastic mags for being too limp wristed, please PM me for pickup. I will dispose of them properly.

Mags I use for work:

Gen 2/3 pmags. They either work 100% reliably or they are cracked and non-functional so you know not to use them anymore. Windowed or non windowed are both great. I can't say I've had deformation issues that some YouTubers talk about, but these mags are not used for long term storage.

Aluminum mags with improved followers and internals. I think Okay surefeed are the best ones but the ol white box GI ones are fine too. I tend to use these for range magazines since they will deform and cause malfunctions instead of breaking outright like pmags, but if I ran out of pmags I would put them in my kit.

Mags I don't use for work:

Lancer. They don't lock into our work rifles. We are switching rifles soon, so maybe they will work with the new ones. Either way they have the same downside as aluminum mags in that the feed lips bend and induce malfunctions instead of giving me the clear "stop using me" indicator of breaking completely like pmags. They look super nice though, so I still own some personally, and would put them in my kit if they actually functioned with my work rifle.

Generic plastic/aluminum/steel mags. They are probably fine-ish too but that's not what work buys so that's not what I use. Hexmags seem pretty terrible. I don't think I would use those.

For personal use I own:
A large combination of everything since I am a collector and you never know what will still be working in 100 years. For home defense in an AR15 I still use pmags though. Maybe go with some aluminum or half pound steel mags too if you're doing long term storage or hilariously opinionated about plastic. Throw some Lancers in there too because they are super nice as long as they lock into your rifle and you don't bend the feed lips.
fbi_surveillance_van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 02:49 AM #34

I've run lancers primarily since they are the best of both worlds. Metal feed lips to lower cracking chances while durability of a polymer body when dropped, crushed, tossed etc. Stocked up on pmags too when they go on sale and for rifle qual days. In terms of recent history-the Army tried to introduce the EPM-The "Enhanced Preformance Magazine", supposedly the best of all metal mags in 2016 despite testing/data from all other branches and themselves...they recently announced they are switching back to PMAGs as others have mentioned because of reliability (https://www.military.com/daily-news/...lded-2016.html). From the article the Army sounds a bit butthurt that their own baby the EPM metal got beat out what everyone else knew before. Bottom line logic to me is that if Pmags can stand up to crayon-eating, gorilla knuckledragger Marine grunt abuse, they are good to go.. No mag is perfect, they all have their issues. Run what you want and can afford. When the end of days comes I'm sure there will be plenty of mags to go around. My 2 cents!
pp55ftw is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles