• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Very interesting. Here's some initial thoughts.

A .40 bullet is certainly larger in diameter than a .357, a 357 magnum will push the same weight bullet at the essentially the same velocity as the 10mm in the same length barrel.
    10mm will undoubtedly handle a heavier bullet. 200 or 220gr is possible. For defense against big bitey creatures that is a decided deep penetration advantage.
    All in all, on the high end, the 357 and 10mm are pretty close.
    On the downside 10mm ammo is just plain silly expensive.
    Where the 10mm loses to the 357, in my opinion, is in versatility. It does not have the option of shooting cheaper factory 357 ammo and target 38's are also out of the question.

If you reload for 10mm - or are looking for a gun that is moon clip ready - or are carrying in the woods with big bears - or just want something different - then, yes, Dayum. Lots of good reasons why you need this gun.

Ruger is listening to its customers.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    At least Ruger is listening to its customers rather than putting out "gun of the week" or "gun of the month" and telling the consumer they need to buy it. It's called recognizing a market and servicing it.

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    Interesting option, however IMHO the Ruger frame is too bulky when compared against a S&W model 19 “k” frame revolver.

With my S&W....I will stay!

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD

Attachments

• AA328B08-5060-4493-A7D5-9F2810CC7B4F.jpg
      AA328B08-5060-4493-A7D5-9F2810CC7B4F.jpg
      69.4 KB · Views: 313
    • 86AC16AE-8151-451B-9869-7B48C094BB8B.jpg
      86AC16AE-8151-451B-9869-7B48C094BB8B.jpg
      49.4 KB · Views: 424

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Where the 10mm loses to the 357, in my opinion, is in versatility. It does not have the option of shooting cheaper factory 357 ammo and target 38's are also out of the question.

If you reload for 10mm - or are looking for a gun that is moon clip ready - or are carrying in the woods with big bears - or just want something different - then, yes, Dayum. Lots of good reasons why you need this gun.

Not really true anymore. My last order or 10mm and 38 spc, 10 boxes of each was about the same price.

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I like the idea a lot hope it takes off and they come out with a few variations. I think a 6” blued would have me waiting on the handgun roster board to make there move.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Can you safely shoot a 40 S&W out of a 10mm revolver in the same way you can safely shoot 38 Special from a 357 Magnum revolver?

That's an interesting question. Note that this gun uses moon clips. Without the moon clip i would think the 40 would slide forward in the cylinder.

Some (not me) shoot 40 S&W through unaltered 10mm handguns. In that case they rely on the extractor to hold the primer next to the breech face.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I’d worry about cracking the forcing cone...but that’s just me.

Somewhat off topic, there have been some reports about the GP100 in 44 Special suffering from cracked forcing cones. Is that because the GP100 forcing cone is too thin on these models or because the owner was shooting hot 44 Specials?
    10mm is lots hotter than any sane 44 Special load.
    A 10mm barrel does have more meat in the forcing cone than a 44 Special.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Very interesting. Here's some initial thoughts.

A .40 bullet is certainly larger in diameter than a .357, a 357 magnum will push the same weight bullet at the essentially the same velocity as the 10mm in the same length barrel.
    10mm will undoubtedly handle a heavier bullet. 200 or 220gr is possible. For defense against big bitey creatures that is a decided deep penetration advantage.
    All in all, on the high end, the 357 and 10mm are pretty close.

Since this Ruger uses moon clips, you have the option of using .40 S&W ammunition, which is still less expensive than .357 and .38 Special. Moon clips are faster to reload versus speed loaders and strips.

10mm ammunition is available in 10mm Lite to Nuclear loads. Premium ammunition costs pretty close to eachother (think Buffalo Bore).

Reloading truly brings out the potential for the cartridge. 10mm 135gr JHPs can be pushed faster than .357 125gr JHPs.

I've bugged Virginia Arms yesterday about getting one of these for me, I'll be bugging All Shooters Tactical today about it. I should be getting one some time in the next two months.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have a 610, can shoot 40 or 10 with no issues, even states that in the manual. The Ruger is probably the same, can also load 10mm to longer OAL, as long as it fits in the cylinder, it will work. Can load to 1.350" instead of 10's usual 1.250", plenty of recipes pushing 180-200gr up to 1400fps or 135s around 1700fps . Can also ream the chambers to accept 10mm magnum, and get even more power, at a little bit of loss to 40s&w accuracy. It's an awesome wheelgun caliber, you have both more power AND cheaper, softer shooting ammo than a 45acp revolver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom