• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I got interested in this gun a couple of months ago and it was on sale at Cabelas so I picked one up. Hunting season and a lot of other stuuf got in the way so I only shot it one time. The gun shot low and I didn't know how to adjust the sights so I left it alone.

There's been a frigid cold spell here so I decided to do something about the sights. I watched internet vids about the gun and wanted to try a scope or red dot with it. I took off the front and rear factory sights and put on a red dot I have.

I took it to the range today and really like how it shoots! I had to make medium loads because I used plated bullets but I'm going to make up some +P loads to shoot in it. I'll probably wait until the snow melts but I think it's going to be a blast shooting this gun! :)

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I finally took it back to the range after putting on a red dot. I did some prelim zeroing at 25 and 50 yards and I like how this shoots 40 S&W pretty accurately! I loaded up 45 rounds of ammo using silver brass I picked up from the range with the max load in the Hornady manual for 180 gr. HAP bullets and Power Pistol powder.

I'm going to do some real intense shooting tomorrow to see just how accurate I can shoot it. I'll also take it to 100 yards and see how it does at that range.

Some local LEOs were at the range last week and left all their brass which included 40 S&W brass so I was kinda preoccupied with picking that up in kinda tall grass. I mowed it and found about 75 pieces of brass. So far I've picked up about 300 rounds of brass since they left!

This little carbine may be worthy of a nice scope if it does well at 100 yards.

The next question is...

can I hunt with it?

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Shot the 4095 at 100 yards today with the red dot. It shot so well that I'm going to put a 3x9 scope on it tomorrow. I think it might shoot way more accurately that I ever dreamed it would. It seems to shoot the Hornady 180 gr. HAP ammo pretty flat from 50 to 100 yards.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    What size were your groups?

The 40 cal would not be legal in MD to hunt with, but if you are in Iowa it may be good to go. Heck, the 10mm in MD just barely gets past the legal limits with certain ammo.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    What size were your groups?

The 40 cal would not be legal in MD to hunt with, but if you are in Iowa it may be good to go. Heck, the 10mm in MD just barely gets past the legal limits with certain ammo.
    I can't aim accurately at that distance with the cheap red dot I was using so the group size would be irrelevant. I put on a 2x7 scope today and will try that out tonight.

I hunt in Nebraska but I'll have to check but I'm sure it would be OK.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Yesterday there were some electrical storm clouds hanging around the area and I couldn't get to the range due to the lightning danger. I managed to zero it at 50 yards today but the heat was starting to get to me. I was still raking grass and cutting weeds to get the rest of the brass that is still there and it wore me out.

The carbine was looking very accurate at 50 yards but I only took one shot at 100 yards.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Just an old one that was on a used 30-30 I bought when I worked at APG. I don't even know who made it but I remember that it was made by a small company in Omaha, Ne. It's OK.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I shot 2 shots yesterday at 100 yards and they were about 8 inches low. I think 50 yards is the max for this gun. I'm just about dead on at 50 and close at 25 yards. It'd be OK if I got a close shot which I do since I hunt in thick woods.

I'll post pics of the 50 and 25 yard shot targets tomorrow.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Heck, the 10mm in MD just barely gets past the legal limits with certain ammo.

Only legal in Maryland for pistol w/ 6" barrel. It does not reach the 1200 ft/lb minimum for rifles in Maryland.

In Iowa, straight wall ammo that meets restrictions for pistol hunting may be used in rifles during the first and second shotgun seasons.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As in most subject areas, Maryland is Maryland, hunting rules are arbitrary , and no particular relationship to what kills deer .

In our neighboring state ( where I do most of my rifle and pistol hunting ) , the rules are very different, and much closer to reality.

Handguns- 350ft lb , min 4in bbl
    Rifle - Centerfire , larger than .23 cal

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    8 inches low.

Here's a pic of my target shooting at 50 in the center target and 25 on the left targets. The shots were taken from shooting sticks and I was kinda in a hurry since it was real hot and humid. I know I can do better if I use my Hunting Pod or sandbags.

That hole on the bottom is from 100 yards and I was aiming at the center bulls-eye.

Attachments

• IM002665.jpg
      IM002665.jpg
      68.5 KB · Views: 170
    Last edited:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I made up 25 rounds of ammo using Winchester SWF powder and 180 gr. Berry's Bullets. I'm going to try to do some accuracy shots with them tomorrow using the Field Pod.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The new load didn't perform very well. I tried the max load but will try a medium load next. It could be the bullet though.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hey , inquiring minds want to know !

How "not perform well" were they ? Your results from post #15 were enlightening, meaningful, and provide a useful baseline of 2in @ 25yd, and 3in @ 50yds .Of at least equal importance , how about vels ? Spread and SD (std deviation) are useful for your load developement , and frankly a load that gave close to factory load accuracy, but extra 100fps ( apples v apples ) would certainly have a nitche of its own .

FWIW , a .40S&W carbine isn't trajectory limited to 50yds .

From your posted pic in #15 , the 50yd group is centered 1.5in LOW @ 50yds .

At minimum , center the 50yd group . You won't notice the difference @25yd , and will be usable to better part of 75yds ( a meaningful difference in the field).

Make sighting 1.5in HIGH @ 50yds , and you will be accuracy limited before you become trajectory limited .

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The shots were "all over the place". Very disappointing. I don't have a chrono and am not planning on getting one. The carbine obviously doesn't like the RN Berry's bullets.

I also tried some 155 gr. Hornady XTP bullets today with a minimum load of Win. SWF. Also not great in the carbine.

I ran out of the Hornady HAP bullets but looked at my receipts and they were 180 gr. not 200 gr. like I thought. I'm getting another box tomorrow. I got those nice groups with a shooting stick and think I can do much better with the Field Pod.

I'm just having fun with different loads, bullets, gunpowders etc.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Shot again today with the 180 gr. Hornady HAP bullets with a minimum load of Win. SWF powder. I used the Field Pod and the 25 yard group was very good. I was so happy that I think I rushed the 50 yard shots and the grouping was not as good.

I'm going back tomorrow to see what I can do at 75 yards. I'll post pics tomorrow also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom